• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Law at Uni (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
If you are doing Legal Studies in high school, it's nothing like that.

For law you have to pretty organised and have an excellent time management skill. You don't really have to read word by word. What I do is firstly I look at the outline of the unit given to read and then have a look at the topics. Skim through and take notes (mostly - the purpose of the legislation, or why is the case so important?)
Moreover, I wouldn't say study guides are the answer, but have a look at the uni library and they will have heaps of resources recommended by the tutors, I found that pretty useful as I ended up using some points out of them, bumping myself to a better mark than expected.

As mentioned, yes always aim high BUT realistically. not say "hey I want 100%", know your abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Plus, as for assignments scheduling and time management = MUST!

In short and simple, as a first year second semester law student, I find it a lot better than expected. Just do the readings, be true to yourself and you'll end up acing the units. Oh and yeah heaps of analysis, sometimes you might have to read thrice or so or sometimes asking the heck were the authors/judges smoking whilst making some decisions :L

PS: I found HSC more fattening than Law :p I found that I have started to become a more healthier person since I started university.
Something I have learnt about Law assignments is that there is 0 flexibility. If it says 2 pinpoint references max in each paragraphs... it literally means 2 pinpoint references max. You have to follow the assignment instructions to the letter, even if it means you label your sections 1, 2, and 3 instead of A, B, and C (seriously I almost got ripped by the subject co-ordinator for asking whether I can use A, B, and C because it sounds better in the introduction, rather than 1, 2, and 3).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)