law at usyd or unsw? (1 Viewer)

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Hey dudes and dudettes

i was just wondering can anyone give me advice on which uni to go to for law? usydney or unsw? i know the two arnt differnt in a dramatic way, but i heard some pplz say the career choice is made easier if u go to unsw and also if u go to sydney your future job will be most likley pprovided by the governemnt whereas with unsw, pplz are more likely to recieve jobs from individual coporations, so i guess i would just like to hear some advice from people who are doing law at both unis or people who would like to share some information.

i went to lectures at both unis on the open day and although i was leaning towards uni of syd more, but after realising i have so mani current uni friends at unsw (and not to mention that their seminar was a lil better than sydney's) i am indececive atm...any advice would b appreciated

cheers

truly

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
What do you want to do with your law degree? And, what are you combining it with?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
for me, commerce/law or arts/law...

but, tib, please come to usyd with me :)

*tugs your arm*

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
surely the difference is very very minimal.. apart from factors like which uni u like better, easier to get to, easier to get into etc..

timmii

sporadic attendee
TIB:

It is often said that UNSW commerce is more private sector based while usyd commerce is more public sector based, but i really don't think that is the case any more. USyd accounting and finance have the greatest links to the ASX and professional bodies. I'm not sure about marketing however, and have heard that as a major it may be better at unsw... :confused: I was at a cocktail party thing with those in charge of recruitment of 4 of the top investment banks, and they basically said that you can't go past being a comm/law student at usyd in ur applications for positions there.

To be fair, I also got the impression that unsw commerce was more "up-to-date" than usyd commerce, but I really think that a lot of changes have since been implemented at usyd and the extent to which this would be true, if at all, would be negligible.

Usyd does allow a double major in commerce with a law degree (it was compulsory until last year), while unsw does not. Since i was (am) intending on majoring in finance *and* accounting, that was a major sway factor for me. On the other hand, you can't start your course in finance until second year (while there are first year finance subjects at unsw - although as a law student, unless you overload you won't be able to do them because your electives are devoted to law).

Unsw emphasised the number and diversity of electives it offered in finance, "biggest finance school in australia" etc etc...but when i compared the lists, the actual electives i wanted to do were covered more in detail, it appeared, at usyd. For you of course, that may be different. Uni is a very personal decision so try to not to get too swayed by people who tell you "omg usyd has the most amazing law school, prestige etc etc..." and "unsw commerce is the best etc etc". There's much of a muchness, both universities are held in high regard in the workplace, and if u don't believe that call some firms up and speak to their HR departments!!! (hehe i harassed macquarie, UBS and Deutsche before Uac forms were due :p ) Look at external factors: social elements, travel time, flecibility for you etc etc :) good luck!

timmii

sporadic attendee
*sigh* i almost weaned myself off it completely....and then i don't know what happened! I think i felt an urgent need to procrastinate :( *sigh*

Like now...stupid law assignment ;)

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hey up until january 3rd 2003 i was almost at unsw law...I think its a great place. If thats right for her, she should go there. I'm just saying that theres this public perception that usyd commerce is inferior, and i think that is unfairly exaggerated and inaccurate :p

Hehe of course i'm biased tho...I mean Da Monstar doesn't even do law and he's advocating unsw :rolleyes: :p :D

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
i want to combine it with social science or commerce..either would be good..still indecicive though....

like syd is a lot easier to get to from my plce.....basicalli 1 bus 30 minz no walking..and i am there..... i have ocntacts in both unis...

for syd i did ABW program there and i know some lecuterers at the economics + busienss department.... plzu a lot of firends are ding the law degree now

with nsw, i did work experience there in yr 10 and met the dean at the time (paul redmond) and went to open day and realised Jessica Ngoy ( i think thatz her last name) used to go to my skool and seh was giving emeh relali good advice.....so basically i relaly cant decide....

and thankz timmii!...ur info was v helpful... :p

Last edited:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
i wonder who i support

however i will be unbias...and say

UNSW and USYD are both very good...

if u combine with com or science unsw is the best ...if u wanna do arts law...do it usyd...
however unsw arts faculty is quite good too...its just it doesnt have as many subjects as usyd

hey asq..u do arts/law at unsw..wot do u think of it? and yeah dont be biased ..:D

pri

HSC
N/A
*sigh* If only I could get the mark for usyd law, then It may have been on my preference list

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by pri
*sigh* If only I could get the mark for usyd law, then It may have been on my preference list
When you find out your UAI you'll still be able to stick it on your preferences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)