Law at UTS (via direct entry) or UNSW (via internal transfer) (1 Viewer)

kaloobshaz

HSC
Hey guys,

So I got my ATAR back and it's in between the cut-off for business/law at UTS and commerce/law at UNSW. As the title of this thread suggests, I've got two options:
(a) directly entering business/law at UTS
(b) entering commerce at UNSW and then switching to commerce/law via internal transfer
Now, I'm completely happy with studying law at UTS. However, people are telling me that law at UNSW is better as its graduates get better starting salaries and are more likely to be employed. Plus it's a go-8 uni, its law school is ranked 12th in the world, it's older (if that even matters), and so there's a lot of prestige associated with going there etc etc etc
While I don't really care about this prestige BS, I am concerned about whether law firms will discriminate me due to the uni I'm from. Yes I do understand that at the end of the day, it comes down to how I perform...but I really don't want to ignore the advice others are giving me.
So basically, these are the questions that I want you guys to answer
(a) Do employers discriminate between graduates based on the uni they attended? Yes? No? If yes, is the uni you went to a major consideration or do they look at it after your results? Personally, I've never met anyone who has confronted this discrimination, but a lot of people whinge about it on this forum so I was just wondering.
(b) Do you really think it's worth accepting commerce at UNSW and transferring to commerce/law via internal transfer? As afar as I know, they only look a your WAM (not the 50% ATAR and 50% GPA thing that USYD sometimes uses). While a lot of people say this internal transfer thing is easy, I think it's really competitive as there are so many people competing for 100 vacancies (in my school for example, I can give you a huge list of kids who plan to enter law at UNSW via internal transfer). Personally, I have little confidence in doing this as I took a classic combo of the highest scaling maths and science subjects for my HSC and can only rely on coming 2nd for commerce in year 10 (lol). I know commerce is different in uni but that only gives me even more concern - what if I just don't do well because I have no background to it or I just give up or...I dunno...

Oh yeah and I don't know if this website is reliable but once you enter the link, you can scroll down to the bottom and click on the name of different unis to compare the average starting salaries and unemployment rates of their graduates.

http://www.hobsonscoursefinder.com.au/ratings/fos/19/UG#.Urx35fSnq_s

Although UTS has a higher unemployment rate, much less graduates go on to pursue further studies, so i guess more of them end up getting jobs.

PS: Plz don't give me BS about how I shouldn't do law at uni because I did science and maths subjects at high school. Both commerce and law interest me and I would seriously like to do something different at uni but I just don't want to fully rely on something I've never done to get into law

Last edited:

cylindrical

HSC
Hello! Sorry this is a bit late and I don't actually have an answer, but what did you decide to do? I'm doing my HSC this year and I'm also wondering what the better option is (even though I haven't gotten my ATAR yet!) :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I'd suggest UTS if they still bundle their practical legal training with their law degree. That saves you $10,000. For those not in the know, practical legal education (PLT) is a 6 month course you have to do to be admitted to practice as a solicitor. To people thinking along the same lines as OP, chill about your university. At OP, tell the people who said that you should go to UNSW because it's older that it used to be a technical college. Smartarsery aside, don't worry too much about the uni you go to, it doesn't make too much of a difference. Graduate jobs at big law firms are few and far between, but the people who do get hired come from a decent mix of different unis. Realistically, you aren't likely to practice, and if you do, it's likely to be somewhere smaller. Don't worry about this big law shit, that's years down the road.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Best logic is to pretty much go where the prettier girls are (convenience is also a deal breaker as well) being concerned with the uni you go to is like being concerned with your ATAR 10 years down the track... It really does not matter about the uni you go to or what ATAR you have got... At the end of the day, you will be on centerlink collecting new start irrespective of the uni you went to... Hehehe

Why law schools do not have in house PLT really, really puzzles me... It just seems, counterproductive at best...

simplyinsanity

HSC
I had a similar dilemma to the OP except I was considering USYD internal transfer not UNSW.

I chose direct entry into UTS law and I think that was definitely the right option for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)