law clerk position (1 Viewer)

Minax

HSC
I applied for a part-time law clerk position at a commercial law firm and got a call just now for an interview. I still have 4 semesters and 16 subjects to go through. Do you think it's wise to start part-time work now at all?
And I'm not altogether clear about what a law clerk does apart from typing and filing or if it is going to help the job hunt later.

Any advice is appreciated.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Most law students are desparate for this kind of work. I have worked 1-2 days per week in a paralegal capacity for a number of years in my degree. Any such experience even if only typing and filing is still beneficial in the job hunt and may even lead to progression within that firm.

As to what it entails, it depends on what they want/think a law clerk should do. Go to the interview, see how flexible and supportive they are regarding study and what tasks they want you to do, then decide.

Minax

HSC
Thanks melsc. Any advice on the interview? I come from a corporate background and know the general to-dos and not-to-dos about interviews. Is there any special mine-field of a legal interview that I shouldn't trot into.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks melsc. Any advice on the interview? I come from a corporate background and know the general to-dos and not-to-dos about interviews. Is there any special mine-field of a legal interview that I shouldn't trot into.
Not really, each has their own style. Its pretty stock standard really, unless they are the type to be different. Gadens asked me to write a paragraph describing my favourite dessert in mouth watering detail. Be relaxed, confident and listen carefully to questions. I still dont know if what I do in interviews is correct,

Best of luck

Minax

HSC
hmm...dessert..That'll break the tension. I'd love something like that.

izzy88

HSC
definitely go for it! As Melsc said, most law students are desperate for any kind of legal work experience- its a foot in the door to the profession!

I guess you just have to be careful about how much time they expect from you, and if you can fit it into your timetable (ie. any more than two days a week, and you might be stretching how much time you can then give to your law studies- well that would be my limit in any case).

Minax

HSC
Thanks guys. Just a side note...does anyone know the typical pay for such a position? What if I'm asked about my expected salary?

*jellz*

HSC
working as a paralegal while studying law will be very beneficial to your career but I should warn you now, it can be a serious challenge. You will have to win the lawyers over by showing them you are capable of doing the work- which means gathering your bearings quickly, being able to follow instructions from the get-go, and taking initiative. A good indication that you have won them over is when the work starts to really pile in. This is when you get excellent experience, but suddenly the two days a week turns into three days a week. Make sure you carefully negotiate your working hours or your grades will seriously suffer. My lowest grades were always during ultra busy periods at work. I managed to talk my way down to two days and suddenly, they were up again.

Bottom line is you should definitely go for it- but it will require loads of organisation and a fair share of all-nighters. One big motivation to stay on the paralegal merry-go-round is the fact that the queue of law students waiting to get on goes around the block.

Minax

HSC
Jellz, that's very true. I'd hate to sacrifice my grades for it given I still have four full semesters' loads of study.

Camleigh

HSC
I applied for a part-time law clerk position at a commercial law firm and got a call just now for an interview.
Any advice is appreciated.
Wow, congratulations!!
I would definitely take advantage of this- what do you think that it was about your resume that impressed them? I'm job/voluneeer hunting myself...

Minax

HSC
To Camleigh, I speak Mandarin and they looked for a bilingual clerk...

marypierce

HSC
N/A
A Law Clerk "performs entry-level technical legal work under immediate supervision of attorneys on a part-time basis while pursuing a law degree; undergoes training in legal research, analysis, and reporting; and assists experienced legal staff," according to the Los Angeles Unified School District. While some law school students choose to apply for law clerkship positions with law firms, others may choose to apply for judicial clerkship positions, which involve law students working under the supervision of judges. Whether a law student chooses to work for a law firm or for a judge, law clerkships enable law students to gain firsthand experience in the legal field.

Dui Attorney

avant

HSC
Thanks guys. Just a side note...does anyone know the typical pay for such a position? What if I'm asked about my expected salary?
typical pay for casual position is 22-26$ an hour

this is a great opportunity so snap it up

i got a good position in 4th year law and i was kicking myself for not applying earlier. Great experience and great pay.

Imo you should work as much as you can without affecting your studies as I find uni students waste most of their days away but it's up to how leisurely you like your uni career.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
are there differences between "law clerk", "paralegal" and "legal secretary"? i'd imagine the roles substantially overlap?

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I'm a probate clerk, yet find myself assisting senior solicitors on civil and family law matters all the time, so I wouldn't get too hung on job title. If the firm likes the way you work, you'll soon be commandeered for all sorts of tasks.

Just be wary of legal secretary positions though - generally you'll need high level typing skills and a good knowledge of the forms in the area of law you're employed.

Minax

HSC
Thanks guys for all your advice. I went to the interview and did not like the firm. And the feeling must've been mutual as I was not successful. It was a small firm (less than 10 staff). The head of the firm who interviewed me wasn't someone I'd wish to work for. But it was great to know some very 'different' characters in this profession - time to break my law&order lawyer stereotype.

On the other hand, the legal aid centre that interviewed me sent me a very personalised letter which stated that "the difference between me and the successful candidate was very little" and with my agreement they would like to keep my file for vacancies arising later in the year. Does this mean that once there is another vacancy I will be given priority?

Lessons learnt from these interviews are that I need to polish my interview skills which have become quite rusty since my last successful interview for a corporate role some years ago. There must be some things/qualities in a legal interview that employers specially look at. Would love to go to an interview workshop if there's any.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
In my first year of uni, I had a major interview with an accounting firm (back then they had this 'CA Achiever' program) and nailed it because I read a book called 'Successful Interviews Every Time' by Dr Rob Yeung. I would highly recommend it.

In other news, I recently accepted an offer for a legal secretary position at a reasonably reputable CBD firm. My concern, however, is that I will spend a significant time transcribing, among other things. Is this valuable experience? Will I learn anything useful? Or is it only useful insofar as it exposes me to the law firm environment? Anyone here been employed as a legal secretary? Cheers.

Minax

HSC
Thanks MichaelJackson2. Do you have that book secondhand? :) I think legal secretary work is helpful especially for my course - dipinlaw @ LPAB. Many of my schoolmates are working full time in paralegal or legal secretary positions. I wouldn't be surprised that they will get an internal promotion relevantly easily after graduation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)