Law courses: is there really a difference? (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
Heheh, essays are actually my forte! English and maths happen to consistently the subjects I perform best in (how rare is that eh?). :)

2004... wow, must get use to writing that on the top of my papers. For the last couple of years I've been stuck on writing '**/**/01', I guess it takes a bit for my brain to put a new year into my automation system.

Heh, there are also others who are suffering from the same problem as I am (ref: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21603)! Great, more perspectives to examine, more arguments to wade through, more points to consider, more weighing up the pros and cons... *scrunches up face*

ND

HSC
Originally posted by Lainee
Heheh, essays are actually my forte! English and maths happen to consistently the subjects I perform best in (how rare is that eh?). :)
Meh english, i got quite a surprise opening my results and finding that my english exam mark was the same as my 4u mark... i don't know what happened there.

2004... wow, must get use to writing that on the top of my papers. For the last couple of years I've been stuck on writing '**/**/01', I guess it takes a bit for my brain to put a new year into my automation system.
'01? Wow you are slow. :p

Heh, there are also others who are suffering from the same problem as I am (ref: http://www.boredofstudies.org/commu...&threadid=21603)! Great, more perspectives to examine, more arguments to wade through, more points to consider, more weighing up the pros and cons... *scrunches up face*
Yeh i'm quite surprised to find others facing the same dilemma, i didn;'t think that it would be a common one.

Lainee

HSC
I'm so relieved to have others like you having to make a decision about the same situation before me, so I can learn about all this! Gosh, I've got to keep in contact with you thru the year to find out how you go with Actuarials. :) You have MSN?

Ashleet

HSC
Solve all probs GO UNE LAW!!! ok maybe not that highly rated but hey

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well I had a look at the Good Universities Guide 2004 and in terms of career prospects for UWS law graduates...they have a much greater percentage of graduates still looking for work

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Man, Asquithian is the biggest UNSW-troll I've ever seen (he's got his uni crest up for god's sake) :) But I gotta say, The Roundhouse is the shiznit! Love that bar!

I agree with him about the schools perceived to be top tier (though he left out Bond and UWA).

Totally wrong about Macquarie. Mac's rep has see-sawed from low to high in the years (cut-offs were close to USYD/UNSW at one point). But at present (and for the last few years) Macquarie has enjoyed an excellent rep from the Bar (don't think they're as big fans of the technology school) and the Big 6 firms (especially Mallesons and Blakes).

Hasn't been smooth sailing for UTS, forcing them to add the PLT and restructure the lawschool in recent years.

The PLT doesn't add much to the uni, cos if you go to a big firm, they'll either have an in-house one (e.g. Blakes has inhouse one with diploma from ANU) or expect you to do one from the College of Law like all the other grads (expenses paid I'm sure). And if do PLT you'll end up with like only 4 law electives!

Both Macq and UTS are perceived to be in the second tier of law schools...Newcastle, Gong, Canberra would form like a third tier.

Last edited:

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Law is law in some ways, and sure you will come out with the law degree.....the difference is once you leave uni, you have do do this 6 month thing ( if i'm correctly informed), but its hard to get into it, and they will almost definately take the usyd lawyers first, then unsw etc

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
It's pretty much this one member of staff...bloody alcho!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
GoodToGo, you're selling the MQ Law degree very well. It sounds so good, that if it wasn't six year (with Actuarial) I'd transfer quick smart. :)

And I have the grade to guarentee transfer or doing first year Law units at MQ.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Oh, and we had a bit of a division between the centrist staff and the raidcals. lol. But it's a good mix.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by flyin'
GoodToGo, you're selling the MQ Law degree very well. It sounds so good, that if it wasn't six year (with Actuarial) I'd transfer quick smart. :)

And I have the grade to guarentee transfer or doing first year Law units at MQ.
Aw thanx man.
Yeah, bloody long degree that acst-llb. My friend's just finished second year...

And yeah, UNSW or USYD law would rock...but that's reserved for the freaky few.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
But Law is a fair amount of work besides the time, so I'm taking the Mathematics-gamble (which is explained somewhere in the MQ forum, if you're curious).

Isn't there an oversupply of lawyers, tho?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yeah, there's heaps of lawyers...but they all manage to fit in somewhere. But actuaries are more in demand.

Dude, law is my crusiest subjects. You can do nothing and gurantee yourself a high pass at worst (or a D as the case turned out!)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
LOL! For full exemptions I need at least Credits. And a decent GPA. :D

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Hehe, nasty.

I decided I'm gonna actually study for law now, so I won't be happy with anything less than D's!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I just realised a short while ago, that even tho the MQ GPA is stuffed, my post-grad Uni isn't going to look at that GPA. But the one which includes HDs, etc. Which means hard work.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
What's up with MQ's GPA system anyway? Im reading stuff about transfer's for my gf, and its like "....a minimum GPA of 2.5"
in my books, a GPA of 2.5 is lower than a FAIL average!

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
The MQ GPA system is completely stuffed. Anyway:

D, HD = 4
Cr = 3
P = 2
F = 0

The problem was I took this a little to the extreme. So in second semester I borderlined Distinctioned 4 out of 5 subjects (overloaded). And stuffed one subject with a Cr.

So my GPA is no long "perfect" according to MQ system.

The aim was just Ds, and there was no incentive for anything else, which was a wrong approach in hindsight.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)