Law Cutoff (1 Viewer)

powersupply

HSC
Hi,

I received 99.65 in the 2012 HSC and was wondering what the likely cutoffs for law at usyd and unsw would be for entry in 2013. Is there any chance usyd would lower to 99.65? Or is it likely to stay the same as last year (99.7 usyd) and (99.65 unsw). If the cutoffs are the same as last year, what would be my chance of getting into usyd comm/law in say the second round of offers? I also have 4 bonus points for unsw so i'm guaranteed entry into unsw law. The reason I am asking is because I was offered a merit scholarship ($6000 p.a. for duration of course) for usyd, but have missed last years cutoff by 0.05.

Basically, is there any chance of getting into usyd law in the second/late rounds with a 99.65 assuming the cutoff remains unchanged at 99.70/what are the chances that the cutoff would actually fall this year (not likely, I know).

Thanks

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Congrats on the magnificent ATAR!

I know people with 99.65 who didn't make USyd Law. I don't think you can count on the demand for USyd law going down, historically it has been the most elite undergrad law degree in the country. If, as PastPaper suggests, there is a increase in demand in UNSW leading to a decrease for USyd, then it is very likely that USyd will open more places for international students which will reduce the seats for domestic students and thus keep the ATAR at 99.7 or more.

powersupply

HSC
Thanks for responses. Found this off usyd website re: atar cutoffs:

•2005 99.6
•2006-2009 99.55
•2010 99.65
•2011-2012 99.7

So, it seems to have fluctuated both up and down quite a bit - so with an immense amount of luck the cutoff may well fall (although word is law is on the rise)

Congrats on the magnificent ATAR!

I know people with 99.65 who didn't make USyd Law. I don't think you can count on the demand for USyd law going down, historically it has been the most elite undergrad law degree in the country. If, as PastPaper suggests, there is a increase in demand in UNSW leading to a decrease for USyd, then it is very likely that USyd will open more places for international students which will reduce the seats for domestic students and thus keep the ATAR at 99.7 or more.
You raise an interesting point re: international students - how many places do usyd actually offer for combined law? And is there a specific number set aside for international students? e.g. do they take 200 first years, of which 40 are reserved for international students?

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
You raise an interesting point re: international students - how many places do usyd actually offer for combined law? And is there a specific number set aside for international students? e.g. do they take 200 first years, of which 40 are reserved for international students?
It depends on the university that particular year, as international students generally means more $$$ for the uni. I feel its probably around 180-200 first years + internationals + transfers, which puts the number around 250.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)