Law degrees "useless" (1 Viewer)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I will not be continuing to respond to this discussion. If you have any serious questions about law then you are welcome in the relevant forum.

I encourage my learned friends to leave this person to his bitterness.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Leaving an argument does not make you the better person, it shows your weakness. But am I bitter? Yes, only for the field of science. Am I aware that Bob Hawke is a law grad? Yes.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Is that a reflection on the level of correctness it exhibits? Of course not. Australia democratically voted in John Howard (hence saying that the majority of Australia believes that he would make a good PM in his next term), yet does that make him a good Prime Minister? Of course not, he's a terrible Prime Minister and I believe that many years from now, his reign of terror will not be looked upon kindly by the masses.

Alas, I will take a glance around this news and current affairs board, but it's not likely that I will make a post in here. I usually only come to these forums to post a bit about UNSW and ask questions and the like, this was some bizarre exception.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Re: New UNSW Law building

Nebuchanezzar said:
Yes, that is correct. Btter yet, we could start by killing off all the law students to cut the food demand a bit.
Better yet, you could remove yourself from the academic circles to save HECS for the people who actually need it, including the law students.

Nebuchanezzar said:
I, as a representative of science (and I'm sure that there are countless others out there who'll agree with me) believe that science deserves what law has somehow acheived.
Speak only for yourself next time.

This has become much like the HSC physics dot point on Fermi and Einstein and their ethical views on science and politics. My suggestion is that if both were still alive, they should nuke themselves to solve their differences.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
everyone knows that the most useless degree is an Arts degree!

HSC
i am envious of law students, im stuck with my commerce/economics and i want to transfer to commerce/law next year. it seems fairly interesting, i wish i could do science but im way too money hungry and since i like both law and science id choose law over it.

humphreybear

HSC
Lawyers save more lives than Doctors do. :p
By your logic, Economists, Accountants and Business people save even more lives than lawyers. Who ensures the efficient flow of funds in society to enable Lawyers, Doctors and a country to operate?

I quit Law to pursue a Commerce degree by itself because:
1. it takes too long to do ugrad law when a JD can be done in less than 2 years
2. you never see high status people having 2 undergraduate degrees (double degrees)
3. most law students are full fee paying snobs who think they are above everyone else
4. doing law statistically only gives you a 47% chance of ever becoming a lawyer (i mean solictor)

it seems fairly interesting, i wish i could do science but im way too money hungry and since i like both law and science id choose law over it.
LOL dude since when did lawyers get heaps of money? you've been influenced by propaganda.
Take these figures:
Graduate solicitor: $45,000-$55,000
Graduate Investment Banker: $80-120,000
Graduate Accountant: $40,000-$55,000
and later on:
Partner at Law Firm: $500,000-$1,000,000
Partner at Accounting Firm: $600,000-1,600,000
Senior Investment Banker: like bloody millions
you're better off become an accountant or banker to get more money. stick with commerce mate!

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
humphreybear said:
I quit Law to pursue a Commerce degree by itself because:
1. it takes too long to do ugrad law when a JD can be done in less than 2 years
2. you never see high status people having 2 undergraduate degrees (double degrees)
3. most law students are full fee paying snobs who think they are above everyone else
4. doing law statistically only gives you a 47% chance of ever becoming a lawyer (i mean solictor)
Making sweeping generalisations in order to rebut someone's elses sweeping generalisation (which was obviously not to be taken seriously) isn't very clever.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
humphreybear said:
you're better off become an accountant or banker to get more money. stick with commerce mate!
You forgot to mention that investment bankers never go home and sleep at their desk. While lawyers work long hours they actually, most of the time, get to go home.

humphreybear

HSC
Please read your previous post (hypocrite!!!)

Making sweeping generalisations in order to rebut someone's elses sweeping generalisation (which was obviously not to be taken seriously) isn't very clever.
You forgot to mention that nvestment bankers never go home and sleep at their desk. While lawyers work long hours they actually, most of the time, get to go home.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
humphreybear said:
Please read your previous post (hypocrite!!!)
We love 2nd year (?) com students who have stars in their eyes and dreams of being hotshot investment bankers with no knowledge of corporate law.

In relation to generalisations. I think its a recognised fact that that investment bankers who make massive amounts of money don't actually have comfy work hours. They certainly don't work 9am to 3pm. Unless you are going to tell me that investment bankers with undergrad com degrees make shit loads of money by working 9 to 5 5 days a week?

Last edited:

humphreybear

HSC
Granted IBers work like 90-120 hours a week during peak times and probably have nothing but KFC at the desk for months on end. But then top IBers earn like 100+ million a year (maybe not in AUstralia though).

You have to be kidding yourself if you think Lawyers can kick up their heels after a day's work. I'd imagine there would be heaps of paperwork, reading and filing to complete at home.

lets face it, you won't ever get a rich lawyer (by rich i mean like multi million dollar salary). do they have a big salary? Yes. Just not as big as Accountants, IBers or Management Consultants at top levels.

Believe me, I'm not a IB fanatic. I'd like to lead a life as a Chief Financial Officer (basically top accountant in companies) earning 2,3 million bucks a year. Compare that with a Chief Counsel/General Counsel, earning 1-2 million bucks.

I guess the MAIN point of all the crap I'm spewing out is to prove to that guy -Casmira, from before that if he/she wanted to be rich, it is idiotic to quit commerce for law

EDIT: Having just reread Casmira's post I realise s/he never said s/he wanted to quit Commerce, in which case I concede I am a knob and will shut up now

2nd EDIT: in response to erawamai, again, I'm not a stary eyed investment banker wannabe, i'm actually an auditor wannabe and according to the corporations act (NO i do not know the section number only law nerds would know something like that), accountants wishing to become registered auditors require at least 2 years of commercial law education. its a good thing we accountants learn law so we dont get bsed by lawyers or law students who think they know everything

Last edited:

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
humphreybear said:
Granted IBers work like 90-120 hours a week during peak times and probably have nothing but KFC at the desk for months on end.
There you go. Not a generalisation but a widely recongised face.

You have to be kidding yourself if you think Lawyers can kick up their heels after a day's work. I'd imagine there would be heaps of paperwork, reading and filing to complete at home.
Never suggested that.

lets face it, you won't ever get a rich lawyer (by rich i mean like multi million dollar salary). do they have a big salary?
I'm not really intent on world domination. My definition of rich and comfortable is less than the millions.

Believe me, I'm not a IB fanatic. I'd like to lead a life as a Chief Financial Officer (basically top accountant in companies) earning 2,3 million bucks a year
To be a CFO you would need a law degree or some knowledge of corporate law.

I guess the MAIN point of all the crap I'm spewing out is to prove to that guy -Casmira, from before that if he/she wanted to be rich, it is idiotic to quit commerce for law
Some people find commerce to be an intellectual desert, replete with spoonfeeding and regurgitation. Some people might perfer to forgo the potential to earn squizillions to challenge themselves to a law degree. We need more people who do law for that reason.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
For the record of any bemused onlookers, the salary figures posted in this thread are inaccurate speculations, which even if accurate would be prone to so many factors and exceptions as to render them of very limited use. Be wary of anyone who does not source their data.

humphreybear

HSC
To be a CFO you would need a law degree of a self knowledge of corporate law.
Dude I cant let that one pass.

Heres a quick Sample:
John Stanhope, CFO of Telstra, Chartered Accountant and CPA
Tom Pockett, CFO of Woolworths, Chartered Accountant and CPA
Chris Lynch: BCom, MBA, CFO of BHP Billiton, Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA)
Peter Marriot: BEc (accounting), CFO of ANZ, Chartered Accountant and CPA

Need I go on? None have law degrees!! Only commerce/economics, and are all qualified Accountants.

Dude, they are Chief FINANCIAL officers, not chief COUNSELS

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
humphreybear said:
Dude I cant let that one pass.

Heres a quick Sample:
John Stanhope, CFO of Telstra, Chartered Accountant and CPA
Tom Pockett, CFO of Woolworths, Chartered Accountant and CPA
Chris Lynch: BCom, MBA, CFO of BHP Billiton, Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA)
Peter Marriot: BEc (accounting), CFO of ANZ, Chartered Accountant and CPA

Need I go on? None have law degrees!! Only commerce/economics, and are all qualified Accountants.

Dude, they are Chief FINANCIAL officers, not chief COUNSELS
I didn't say that had to have law degrees did I?

Regardless, they must have a knowledge of corporate law. They can either get that through their law degree or through some other method (I believe Accounting majors do a bit of corporate law).

humphreybear

HSC
For the record of any bemused onlookers, the salary figures posted in this thread are inaccurate speculations, which even if accurate would be prone to so many factors and exceptions as to render them of very limited use. Be wary of anyone who does not source their data.
if you give me your email i will gladly send to you the salary surveys from leading recruitment companies that will confirm my figures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)