Law firm employment: non-legal roles (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I am wondering if there is a list of law firms who take on graduates and undergraduates for non practicising purposes. (ie non law degrees, but law majors or submajors)

HSC
N/A
Re: Law Firms

velox said:
what degree has a law major but cant allow you to practice?
Say you did a double major, in a 3 year degree such as a UWS Bachelor of Business (Accounting) with a major in Commercial Law, Finance Law or Law and Human Rights. I would think that other degrees and other universities would have a similar thing

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

but are you a lawyer?

for the purposes of admission as a solicitor in NSW (or Australia, for that matter), a commerce major in business/commercial law is insufficient.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A

I guess you might be able to get some kind of paralegal or secretarial role in one of the smaller law firms. Other than that, perhaps a position in a company/the government that concerned the formulation of policy (specifically that which relates to your actual degree/other major) etc?

HSC
N/A

Frigid said:
but are you a lawyer?
No, AFAIK not even graduates from law degrees are lawyers, until further training and education.

Frigid said:
for the purposes of admission as a solicitor in NSW (or Australia, for that matter), a commerce major in business/commercial law is insufficient.
So Law Firms only take on grad positions for those who will practice as lawyers? I was thinking that they may take on graduates for other positions

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

UWS-Uni-Student said:
I am wondering if there is a list of law firms who take on graduates and undergraduates for non practicising purposes. (ie non law degrees, but law majors or submajors)
Law firms have a variety of employment positions -- from administrative roles, to IT, to finance, to human resources. In that context, law firms necessarily take on people with non-law degrees. Support services are needed by all businesses. If this is what you are interested in doing, you should contact some law firms for more information on career opportunities in non-lawyer roles. Some firms provide information on their websites. For example, Mallesons.

If you are talking about whether law firms take on those without law degrees in roles which involve the work lawyers do, then no. Paralegals would be the closest thing to a lawyer role, but they do more administrative, research and support tasks.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

UWS-Uni-Student said:
No, AFAIK not even graduates from law degrees are lawyers, until further training and education.
of course.

what i meant was, are you able to qualified as a lawyer.

unlike UK and elsewhere, we do not have a common professional examination-type course that converts non-law degrees into admissible degrees.

but since you read 'non-practising' (not 'non-practicising') purposes, then yes. law firms need secretarial, administrative, research and IT-support roles, as moonlight has stated. you will find vacancies for those in the non-law/support recruitment parts of law firm websites.

HSC
N/A

MoonlightSonata said:
Law firms have a variety of employment positions -- from administrative roles, to IT, to finance, to human resources. In that context, law firms necessarily take on people with non-law degrees. Support services are needed by all businesses. If this is what you are interested in doing, you should contact some law firms for more information on career opportunities in non-lawyer roles. Some firms provide information on their websites. For example, Mallesons.
Thats basically what I was referring to thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)