Law graduates - what are you doing now? (1 Viewer)

cylindrical

HSC
The title is pretty self explanatory actually...

To all those who have graduated with a law degree, what have you done with it? Are you currently employed in the legal sector, employed in another sector (and if so, what?), or are you studying another degree? And even to those who are currently studying law at uni, what do you plan to do with your degree?

Sorry about all the questions - I'm just trying to see what I can do with a law degree if I do decide to study it at uni :)

Thank you!

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
Of the ones in my cohort: a few are with the top tier firms; one is in a personal injury plaintiff firm; another with Maurice Blackburn; one is an associate to the President of Fair Work Australia; a few were tipstaff/associates to judges and are now studying overseas (one has gone to work for the Aboriginal Legal Service); another is just starting at the Bar; a good friend of mine was with a legal publisher and is now at the ATO; and I've just started teaching law.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I think it's important to get some perspective on where you want to be with your legal career. Is it difficult? Yes, it's probably been more difficult past few years. There are some articles out there that detail the legal market for graduates to be the worst time in living history to be a law graduate.

In saying that, there will always be a market for smart and dedicated students, whether in top tier commercial firms, at the bar, or being a solicitor at your local suburban practice. Gone are the days where students ~automatically~ got law jobs upon graduation. You have to work for it. If you work for it, be reasonable with your expectations. Top tiers take on about 15-20 graduates now as opposed to 40 graduates. There are 6 top tier firms, be realistic. There's nothing wrong with working with a mid-tier. There's nothing wrong with working at boutique litigation practices. There's nothing wrong with working outside of law.

Bit of background to me, I'm still in a final year of my law degree. I clerked at a commercial firm over the summer and got a grad job for 2015. Quite a few of my friends have, who are going to top tiers, mid-tiers, or boutique firms. In commercial, immigration etc. A few of my friends are going to the public service. A couple of them aren't even doing law.

It's difficult, so be realistic. But definitely possible if you put your mind to it. Work hard, and there's no reason why there won't be a job for you down the track.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I practised for a few years. Retraining at the moment. I'm at the other end of what you think is the final step, when people start bowing out as they hit their 30's.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Did some time in finance. Did very little time in law (less than 5 months). Main source of income lately is ridiculously rising property prices and rising rent. Thinking of retirement next 18 months.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Did some time in finance. Did very little time in law (less than 5 months). Main source of income lately is ridiculously rising property prices and rising rent. Thinking of retirement next 18 months.
You're back.

Birch and yourself would've done well in the last 18 months, any closer to that hotel?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep done. Small stuff. Last 18 months is nuts. Looks like a strong spring season too in real estate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)