• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Law Review Unit (1 Viewer)

jess083

HSC
Hi

I am going into my second year of my JD and was wondering if anyone has done a Law Review unit where you work as a student editor of a journal? If so whats involved and whats the work load like? I am trying to work out if I should do it this year or next as I only have 2 years to go and its a year long unit. Any info would be great!

Thanks!!

travelfish

HSC
Yes.

The work involved tasks such as:
  • locating suitable "peer reviewers" for articles that were submitted to the journal for publication. Generally each student editor was given one or two articles for which they had to manage this process (under the supervision of the editorial board). Once suitable reviewers were located it was then necessary to liaise with them and the author of the article as to outcome of the review and any amendments that the reviewers think necessary (or informing the author that the article requires substantial revision or should not be published);
  • proof reading and editing articles submitted for publication; and
  • citation checking (ie all references for accuracy, down to the pin-point page reference etc), for articles submitted for publication ( I remember this being particularly time consuming, particularly when obscure sources were used and it was necessary to submit interlibrary loan requests to verify).
Those are the tasks that spring to mind first. It was a while ago now so there may have been others. I remember when I did the unit there was also a theory component about academic publication, peer review, etc, which required class attendance. There was also an assessment component that involved an essay, and I think possibly some sort of assessment of how well you facilitated and managed the peer review process. I can't say that will be common to all universities.

I highly recommend the unit if you propose to either pursue academia, or in the short term, do a thesis (such as honours).

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Has anyone worked at their uni's law review? Not as a unit, just as a job.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Marmalade. said:
Has anyone worked at their uni's law review? Not as a unit, just as a job.
I've worked as a sub-editor of a non-legal peer reviewed journal, and I've found one of the hardest parts of the role was chasing up academics. The work can also get fairly tedious, since you need to back-check every single reference in a large research paper... just in case someone may be trying to pull a Quadrant ;)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
just in case someone may be trying to pull a Quadrant ;)

I like that.. you've already started injecting it into everyday language. I'd sign a petition to have it immortalised in the Oxford dictionary.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
neo o said:
I've worked as a sub-editor of a non-legal peer reviewed journal, and I've found one of the hardest parts of the role was chasing up academics. The work can also get fairly tedious, since you need to back-check every single reference in a large research paper... just in case someone may be trying to pull a Quadrant ;)
I don't understand what that means. Is the work paid?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)