• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Law Society of NSW's Inter School Mock Trial (1 Viewer)

frieda

Premium Member
HSC
We were almost fully prepared and everything... until the other team forfeited T_T. Which is just great because having the first round practise would be great since our school only chooses the team from year 11 (meaning we haven't done before). Oh well, i think we are practising against year 12 or something instead.

PC

HSC
N/A
kayvon said:
coz there is a bit of a ummm- discontinuity in the defendants script
Those sorts of mistakes are usually there on purpose. It allows each side the oppotunities to cross-examine and object. You'll probably discover similar deliberate errors in the other side's scripts too.

van.tango

HSC
Our practice mock trial went extremely well. The other school had no solicitor's notes whatsoever, but the magistrate still gave them a point for them. And they won by one point.
Did any other school get the defence case and then the plaintiff's case? Because this happened in our trial too - the Law Society stuffed up and gave the opposing team our case AND their case, so they were able to pre-pared all their objections and cross-examination questions, sadly.

kayvon

--
HSC
we still haven't done our first practice yet!
and like the 2nd round scripts are already out!!!
our practice round is on monday

philzy

HSC
ye same, our practise mock trial is next friday, r we still aloud to do that mock trial coz it passed the 28th of february which was the date when the results had to be handed in.

PC

HSC
N/A
Round 1 is only a practice round. The results don't count and probably don't need to be sent in anyway.

You could probably not even do Round 1 but you would miss out on the opportunity of going through a trial and getting used to what is supposed to happen.

van.tango

HSC
PC said:
You could probably not even do Round 1 but you would miss out on the opportunity of going through a trial and getting used to what is supposed to happen.
Definitely. It's so much easier to go into the next mock trial having a grasp of procedure and how to conduct the case having done the practise round. I feel a lot more confident going into Round 2 having completed a practice trial, because I know what's going to happen.
Just out of curiosity, what position is everyone here? I'm second barrister.

lacklustre

HSC
van.tango said:
Just out of curiosity, what position is everyone here? I'm second barrister.
I'm first barrister. Which reminds me I need to prepare my opening for the second round. :rofl:

philzy

HSC
hey everyone who is doing mock trial this year. just wondering how many teams from each region move onto the first elimination round and how do they determine who makes it. also is there anyway possible that we can get the results of the teams in your region and is there some kind of ladder to see where every school is coming.

philzy

HSC
i went to that site but it doesnt tell me any of the results or ladders.

PC

HSC
N/A
Well. The results from Round 1 don't count. So you won't see any results up there yet. Once all the stuff from Round 2 goes in, that's when you'll start seeing stuff.

To get into the Elimination Rounds (Round 5 onwards) a team basically needs to win all their trials (Rounds 2, 3 & 4). It's possible for teams to get in with only 2 wins and 1 loss, but that's when points difference comes into play. You'd need to win the two trials quite well and not lose by so many in the third trial.

There are 64 teams that go through to Round 5. The Law Society uses a quota system to work out how many from each zone. North Metropolitan is usually the biggest zone so they'll get more schools in. Say there are 60 schools in the North Metro zone out of 300 schools registered altogether.

That's 60/300 x 64 = 12 schools (maybe 13 schools) from that zone into the elimination rounds. You'll probably find that 8 of those 12 are undefeated and the other 4 got through with 2 wins and a loss.

Simple really. I think it's all in the Competition Manual anyway.

Still, it's only early days!

philzy

HSC
for my first mock trial i am second barrister, do we need to prepare the closing statement b4 or during the trial. if it is b4 the trial, can somene plz post the scaffold on how to prepare a closing statement. thanks.

van.tango

HSC
Prepare what parts of your statement that you can at home then fill in the rest in the ten minutes that you get at the trial.

philzy

HSC
any 2nd round mock trial results as of yet. my mock trial is on monday the 26th of march.

van.tango

HSC
Yeah, so, uhh, we lost by six points today, no thanks to the lazy disorganised witness we have who didn't bother to learn her statement properly thus jeopardising the entire case.

jkylk

HSC
Not fair. My school doesn't do mock trial anymore because the teacher who organised it left the school. =( =/

Do you people have lawyers that are invited to come to talk to you about being in court?? for preparation?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)