Law students and their unwarranted ego. (1 Viewer)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Hohohohahaha I'm long past that stage. I'm now a corporate douche, you see... the ones who laugh at the law school douches.

You still in law school? HAHAHAHAHA

dste6

HSC
Hohohohahaha I'm long past that stage. I'm now a corporate douche, you see... the ones who laugh at the law school douches.

You still in law school? HAHAHAHAHA

If your no longer in law school or even at university, then why are you still posting on a tertiary education forum, insulting people who are?

Thats pretty lame...

onholidays

HSC
have to admit his got a good point here, unless you go to a Go8 uni and do well in your degree chances of a clerkship are pretty low. Sure, you can qoute 85+% graduate employment rates and the crappier law schools will gloat about these, but how many are actual clerkships? not many. Most will be relying on there other degree such as commerce, and if its arts/law then some government job...
the glory days of law students setting themselves for a successful career are long gone, unless you go to a Sandstone uni.
Sandstone uni? what about UNSW? But seriously, my Law friends always advocate that Engineering is the hardest degree on campus and having a very shaky foundation in science, I can understand why. And I don't think Law students at UNSW are pompous pricks... They're quite friendly and down-to-earth I reckon because everyone knows getting into law is only half the battle. It doesn't automatically mean you have a successful career path waiting for you.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Sandstone uni? what about UNSW? But seriously, my Law friends always advocate that Engineering is the hardest degree on campus and having a very shaky foundation in science, I can understand why. And I don't think Law students at UNSW are pompous pricks... They're quite friendly and down-to-earth I reckon because everyone knows getting into law is only half the battle. It doesn't automatically mean you have a successful career path waiting for you.
+1 to that. I only know 2 people doing Engo/Law, one of them has advocated that it can also be called the 'death' combination of law degrees lol.

In my opinion, the vast majority of UNSW law students that I've met are very down to earth and friendly. Of course wherever you go, there are bound to be those who think they are superior than others, but usually they are weeded out and in most cases, fail to interact with others successfully. It happens.

Anyways, law or non-law, every faculty has nice people, just a matter of whether you are "lucky" enough to bump into either category.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
If your no longer in law school or even at university, then why are you still posting on a tertiary education forum, insulting people who are?

Thats pretty lame...
In case you haven't realised kiddo, most douches are pretty lame. In any case your sweeping statement has just included the likes of frigid. Good job kiddie - great success at implicating me.

Good luck in life. Look forward to the day I interview you for a job :D

dste6

HSC
In case you haven't realised kiddo, most douches are pretty lame. In any case your sweeping statement has just included the likes of frigid. Good job kiddie - great success at implicating me.

:rolleyes: unlikely, I can't see any reputable company keeping an irritant like you around long enough to be interviewing people

Last edited:

sstr

HSC
When I was deciding what I wanted to study this was a major concern for me. I was interested in law, but the stereotypical law student is something I was repulsed by. I had been told by a number of people that law was EXTREMELY competitive, that law students were cut-throat and would engage in cheap tactics like ripping relevant pages out of library books ahead of exams. These claims, coupled with the stereotypical arrogant law student culture to which you're referring, almost led me to choose another degree.

However, having completed by first year in law at the ANU, I think I made the right choice. Everyone is very friendly, I'm yet to find any torn library books, and the supposed extreme competitiveness was completely exaggerated. I don't know what it is like at other Universities - and a friend of mine from uSyd has certainly led me to believe that this culture is far more prevalent there - but where I study, at least, law students simply don't behave in this way.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
:rolleyes: unlikely, I can't see any reputable company keeping an irritant like you around long enough to be interviewing people
Hah good luck in life kiddo. Got to go off to interview someone (literally). What coincidence.

Ben1220

HSC

Did you just call yourself a douche?
Things only get weirder...

Personally I am not really annoyed by "snobby law students" because I don't actually see there degree as that desirable. I mean, If I did, I would be doing it, right? I have nothing against law students, but its just another degree out of many in my books, and not the best one for me.

avant

HSC
A fair number of law students do tend to be arseholes. Especially the guys. This isn't to say that other faculties don't have their fair share. But law students tend to be outspoken and forthright, which makes things worse.

As a Melbourne law graduate, I like about half of my fellow students and get along really well. Maybe 20% I am indifferent to. And 30% are just pricks. A few reasons:

1. Law is an insular and competitive environment. You're in the law library fairly often. If you want to get good marks, you generally have to put in lots of hours of study. You have to do lots of extra-curriculars and volunteer work to CV-boost. So law is always on the mind - meaning that students will often talk about it, which easily comes across as self-centredness and ego.

2. A good law student will understand that an adversarial legal system does not demand an adversarial approach outside the courtroom and outside drafting. A mediocre law student will not understand this.

3. (And I think this is the most important reason) Law students tend to come from positions of privilege and wealth. Most went to private schools. A few are full-fee paying. Some of these people are aware of their privilege. Some are not, but have only a benign and harmless sense of entitlement. Some have a malignant sense of entitlement.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Did you just call yourself a douche?
Things only get weirder...

Personally I am not really annoyed by "snobby law students" because I don't actually see there degree as that desirable. I mean, If I did, I would be doing it, right? I have nothing against law students, but its just another degree out of many in my books, and not the best one for me.
Yea I think I did... ohhh I feel the reputational risk coming back to bite me already.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
A fair number of law students do tend to be arseholes. Especially the guys. This isn't to say that other faculties don't have their fair share. But law students tend to be outspoken and forthright, which makes things worse.

As a Melbourne law graduate, I like about half of my fellow students and get along really well. Maybe 20% I am indifferent to. And 30% are just pricks. A few reasons:

1. Law is an insular and competitive environment. You're in the law library fairly often. If you want to get good marks, you generally have to put in lots of hours of study. You have to do lots of extra-curriculars and volunteer work to CV-boost. So law is always on the mind - meaning that students will often talk about it, which easily comes across as self-centredness and ego.

2. A good law student will understand that an adversarial legal system does not demand an adversarial approach outside the courtroom and outside drafting. A mediocre law student will not understand this.

3. (And I think this is the most important reason) Law students tend to come from positions of privilege and wealth. Most went to private schools. A few are full-fee paying. Some of these people are aware of their privilege. Some are not, but have only a benign and harmless sense of entitlement. Some have a malignant sense of entitlement.
[1] is not pretty true imo. Heaps of people get decent marks (ie 75+) without that much study. I rarely even went to class and got those marks - it's all about getting a good set of notes from the people who do go to class. I also did ZERO extra-curricular / volunteer work and had no problems interviewing with any firm. People just play up the importance of CV-building.

[3] Yea agreed. Lots of over-indulged / high-maintenance blondes too. Loved them.

avant

HSC
[1] is not pretty true imo. Heaps of people get decent marks (ie 75+) without that much study. I rarely even went to class and got those marks - it's all about getting a good set of notes from the people who do go to class. I also did ZERO extra-curricular / volunteer work and had no problems interviewing with any firm. People just play up the importance of CV-building.

[3] Yea agreed. Lots of over-indulged / high-maintenance blondes too. Loved them.
Only 10-25% of the cohort will get over 75 in any given class. Maybe 5-10% of the cohort averages over 75. I wouldn't say that constitutes heaps of people. Of those people, I think most of them did a lot of study. I know there are ways around this. You can get a great set of notes. That will work for some classes. E.g. I got a 78 in crim law with literally only one night's study (didn't go to lectures) because I used my then-girlfriend's notes. But for a lot of classes like Tax or Admin or Corps this simply won't work because it's all about the concepts. So on the whole, I think it's extremely wrong to say 'Heaps of people get 75+ at Melbourne law without that much study.' If you were able to average 75+ consider yourself very good at exams or able to access excellent notes (which not all of us can).

As for zero ECs, did you do things like mooting, or have a part-time job? Are you suggesting that generally firms place little emphasis on ECs/relevant part-time work? Because that is also incorrect.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Only 10-25% of the cohort will get over 75 in any given class. Maybe 5-10% of the cohort averages over 75. I wouldn't say that constitutes heaps of people. Of those people, I think most of them did a lot of study. I know there are ways around this. You can get a great set of notes. That will work for some classes. E.g. I got a 78 in crim law with literally only one night's study (didn't go to lectures) because I used my then-girlfriend's notes. But for a lot of classes like Tax or Admin or Corps this simply won't work because it's all about the concepts. So on the whole, I think it's extremely wrong to say 'Heaps of people get 75+ at Melbourne law without that much study.' If you were able to average 75+ consider yourself very good at exams or able to access excellent notes (which not all of us can).

As for zero ECs, did you do things like mooting, or have a part-time job? Are you suggesting that generally firms place little emphasis on ECs/relevant part-time work? Because that is also incorrect.
Well who knows? Maybe it's just the people I hang out with. After all the same kinds always flock together. But thanks for your well-thought out response on this issue - though I must say I stopped after the first line as it got a bit long.

I consider ECs things like joining clubs, mooting, witness competition etc. I never did them. I worked here and there every now and then, but that's just to earn some money, not building a CV. I did a few internships, wouldn't consider that EC.

mpack

HSC
though I must say I stopped after the first line as it got a bit long.
How are you going to survive the 'discovery process' that is undoubtedly going to be a major part of your life as a corporate drone? you cannot read 8 lines.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
How are you going to survive the 'discovery process' that is undoubtedly going to be a major part of your life as a corporate drone? you cannot read 8 lines.
Oh well that's why I always say, pay lawyers 5k to do that if the need arises. And don't underestimate this 5k. It certainly helps towards your 20k salary in 5 years when you graduate. If you need a hand I'll get my golden retriever to help you. He's quite good at digging around for things too.

UAI30orless

HSC
In your scenario, various lawyers had to:
  • draft the design, manufacture and supply agreements for all your audio hardware;
  • draft the licensing agreements for all your audio software;
  • deal with any licensing for the public performance of music;
  • draft the employment contracts of the employees at the venue;
  • address any public liability issues at the venue;
  • address licensing requirements if it was a venue which served alcohol, etc.
TS's point proven.

Personally, I've always disliked law students. Everyime I've attended a law society meeting I've felt like I've been in the middle of passive aggressive ego war.

Last edited:

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
So far straight HDs in BA/LLB just finished first year. (Did 4 Law subs in 1st Year, remaining were Arts so practically guaranteed HDs). Most subjects this year were easy, didn't do that much for any subject aside from one and managed good marks. But yeah, fair few cocky kids, even with shitter marks than mine, I dont mind though, as long as it's justified I'm cool with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)