Law students with UAIs under 70? (1 Viewer)

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
I heard there are students doing UWS law who get UAIs below 50 - 80 but still got accepted, is this true? Many of them must of been transfers, right? I know the UAI is no indication of someones intelligence, but I am shocked to learn there are students who get in with UAIs in there 50s and 60s. Apparently someone who got a UAI of 50, got in to UWS coz they did a STAT exam, and after a year doing a B arts managed to transfer to Law with just a pass average.

undalay

HSC
All students must be on a CSP spot, there is no direct fee entry anymore. Connections/money I meant parents knowing the dean or donating sums to the uni etc. The dean can let you in the course if he likes you etc

Lara1986

HSC
Often these rumours are untrue.

Eg before i started in 2005, there were plenty of rumours going around that the highest UAI entry to UWS for that year was 92, which I know was untrue because i know plenty of people, including myself, who got higher UAIs.

There was also a rumour that students who had failed their first year subjects for the most part were being permitted to transfer to an 'easier' course - also not true.

There was another rumour a few years ago that UWS scales marks up in certain units by 10% across the board to 'compete' with other unis - not true.

You can never trust these rumours. The only way you could know for sure would be to look at students' records.

The only thing I know for sure is that there are students who received quite low UAIs doing law, however, the ones I know personally did another degree and are doing law as a graduate degree, and doing quite well.

jenniquack

HSC
hmm.............. that rumour is almost certainly, as already stated, untrue.

More likely what was meant was that some law students got into law with UAIs under 90......but they must have had an 80+. I know coz I'm one of them.

It's got to do with the bonus points scheme, depending on unit studied in yr 12 and the school attended and the region etc...:haha:

I've successfully completed first semester and as someone's already said, UAIs aren't really indicative of performance in uni...so yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)