law transfer for macquarie university (1 Viewer)

mrbsting

HSC
coopert said:
Hey,

Im currently studying [Bachelor of Arts in International Studies / Bachelor of Laws] at University of Canberra.

My 2007 UAI was pretty low (83.55), however UC offered 5 Bonus Points which explains how I made the cutoff. During my first semester of study in 2008, I got a GPA of 5.75.

Providing that I achieve similar grades in my 2nd semester for 2008, what would you feel my chances would be of a successful External Transfer into the 2nd year of my current degree at Macquarie University for 2009??

Any advice much appreciated!!
shouldn't have much of a drama with that gpa or uai..

-b.

DexJnr

HSC
N/A
I'm doing B.Comm- Accounting at Macq and I'm thinking of internally transferring to Comm/Law end of this year.

Apparently I have to fill out a form from the Law Office at the end of the year.

My UAI was 93.95 and I'm currently sitting on a 58 average (only based on 3 subjects cos I did 1st year at SIBT). It appears I'll need at least 2 Distinctions and a Credit this semester to be successful in gaining a spot.

If not, then I might try for Grad. Law in 2010 at USYD, UNSW or UTS.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
ari89 said:
Some successful UAC transfers to Macquarie combined law last for 08:

(GPA 5 = credit, GPA 4 = Pass)

So transferring externally doesn't look like the biggest challenge.
what's FTE? lol.

jisu

HSC
ari89 said:
Some successful UAC transfers to Macquarie combined law last for 08:

(GPA 5 = credit, GPA 4 = Pass)

So transferring externally doesn't look like the biggest challenge.
excuse me for ringing in on this thread but wow that's quite a bold table.

how reliable are your sources?

- As a guide, you will need a UAI of 90 and obtain a Distinction average in first year.
- To rank you we take half of your UAI and half of your grade point average. Excellent grades in first year may overcome a lower UAI. We then take around 30 students.
from the Macquarie Law website: http://www.law.mq.edu.au/html/undergraduate/futurestudents/school_leavers_faq.htm#5

and this doesn't even mention external transfers...

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Until such a time that ari can produce physical evidence of such transfers, concentrate on the official line and inquire/think of transfers as if they were using those standards.

Much like how some unis will accept people with lower UAIs, these things are based on a number of factors and are not guarantees on the actual methods.

Ari may very well be telling the truth, but they may also have had some other factors which have contributed to their acceptance, we don't know, its the Internet, everyone is full of shit until they show otherwise.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
oh snap, i asked this question....that long ago. and haha i gave up on the idea of transferring into law. now i just want to finish =P

pablito

HSC
if i succesfully externally transfer into a combined law degree at maq, is it possible to finish the degree in the usual 5 years?

dolbinau

HSC
This question is answered on the MQ website:

Macquarie Law

Can I still finish my degree in 5 years?

If you are accepted in your second year at Macquarie to do first year law and you then successfully complete your first year of law, we can squeeze your law program up so that you can still finish the combined degree in your original five year period. If you are not accepted until your third year at Macquarie, to do your first year in law, we can still squeeze your law program up but it will take you an extra semester to complete your combined law degree, e.g. 5½ years.

pablito

HSC
cheers. but im not transfering internally. im at a different university at the moment.

X

xeuyrawp

pablito said:
cheers. but im not transfering internally. im at a different university at the moment.
It depends entirely on specifics: what subjects you've done, what subjects you want to do in your non-law component, how much credit for previous studies you get, etc etc. You'll be able to make a plan once you get your credit for previous studies application through (which you apply for after you accept your offer).

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
pablito said:
if i succesfully externally transfer into a combined law degree at maq, is it possible to finish the degree in the usual 5 years?
It really depends on how well things transfer over, my major wasn't too specific so it fit in quite well, so I will finish within 5 years, others I know had majors that didn't exist at MQ and had to take on a few subjects so it will take a bit longer, that said though you can speed it up with summer school and overloading if you wish.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Just a quick question. Here's my situation. I have a UAI of 96.00 and a GPA of exactly 5.5. What are my chances of getting an offer from Macquarie Uni for Commerce/Law and also just a bit off topic would I also get an offer from UTS or ANU. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)