- Law Transfer - (1 Viewer)

Tenax Propositi

there's just no oxygen
HSC
Hi, a major decision I have to make (presuming I get into my second elected option) is whether to do a Bachelor of Economics at Usyd or UNSW. I really want to transfer into Law so that I can do combined Eco/Law, hence my very important question is:

Is it EASIER to TRANSFER from Eco to Law at Usyd or at UNSW?

The answers you give could potentially influence my future so please answer based on confirmed knowledge!

And if anyone can point me in the direction of a specific phone number of an authority on this or specific website where I can get info on this please let me know...

Thank you so very much to all who reply!

timmii

sporadic attendee
Disclaimer: Don't have confirmed knowledge, so don't rely on it. its just a thought....

Go where you want to go for economics, because you can transfer across unis. For instance, our esteemed admin, Lazarus, scarted off doing science (I think) at usyd, wanted to transfer into law in second year. I don't think he made it into usyd, but made it into unsw, so just changed unis to do comp sci/law at unsw. So think about where u want to go for eco in case u dont make the transfer. If you get a uai close to the cut-off and you manage a good avg i don't know how different either would be. usyd has a lot of transfer students (judging from my tutes) but well, laz must've just missed out? I don't know...:confused:

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
hey tim... i was wondeirng..i am thinking abt doing arts/law instead of commerce/law... but i didnt put ani bachelor of arts degree on my prefernces... so if i dont get into law straightaway.. its most likely i will do commerce... but how can i then transfer into arts/law?

if i cant transfer into arts/law on a commerce dgree..then wouldnt i be limiting my chances of transfer if i choose bachelor of arts as my first yr course? cuz its heapz low in terms of uai compared to say commerce....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Just to provide further input..
You can say that it's easier to transfer to UNSW law than USYD law, simply because the Non Recent School Leaver cutoffs are almost always lower at UNSW. Lazarus, from memory, had a GPA of 5.97 (which is 0.03 off a Distinction average), and with his UAI of 97.5ish, he got to UNSW Law but missed USYD Law. Tenax - I'd suggest u talk to Laz if u want more info.

TIB - u could do this, choose combined Commerce/Arts as your first degree, so u would do some arts subjects in first year, and u wouldnt be so behind in 2nd yr with Arts/Law

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
okies so now i am thinking abt doing arts..as first yr..... wouldnt my chances of getting a transfer heapz slim? cuz i am compete agiainst pplz with low 90s - mid 90s and who are doing commerce... what are my chances of getting into law then? realisticalli speaking..

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
asq, why would it be easier to get a D in commerce?

And Minai, what do you do in your first year of commerce (my preferences are arts and law degrees at various unis by the way)

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Just to provide further input..
You can say that it's easier to transfer to UNSW law than USYD law, simply because the Non Recent School Leaver cutoffs are almost always lower at UNSW. Lazarus, from memory, had a GPA of 5.97 (which is 0.03 off a Distinction average), and with his UAI of 97.5ish, he got to UNSW Law but missed USYD Law. Tenax - I'd suggest u talk to Laz if u want more info.

TIB - u could do this, choose combined Commerce/Arts as your first degree, so u would do some arts subjects in first year, and u wouldnt be so behind in 2nd yr with Arts/Law
is a gpa of 6 only a distinction average? really? i thought it was HD :confused:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by mic
asq, why would it be easier to get a D in commerce?

And Minai, what do you do in your first year of commerce (my preferences are arts and law degrees at various unis by the way)
U mean what subjects?
Semster 1:
Accounting & Financial Managment 1A
Microeconomics 1
Quantitative Methods A
Global Business Environment

Semester 2:
Accounting & Financial Managment 1B
Macroeconomics 1
Quantitative Methods B
Managing Across Cultures

Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
is a gpa of 6 only a distinction average? really? i thought it was HD :confused:
HD is 7
it goes
Pass - 4
Credit - 5
Distinction - 6
HD - 7

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
Soz Minai, I did mean subjects. Thanks! (I think I'll stick to arts though :p)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i'd hate to question the obvious, but does a HD average mean HDs in most or ALL of your subjects?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Frigid
i'd hate to question the obvious, but does a HD average mean HDs in most or ALL of your subjects?
Thats valid, since there are two measurements of performance - the WAM and GPA
WAM is a the weighted average mark of all ur subjects, which is also reported on your Academic Statement (at UNSW anyway)
So for me, last semester I got 87 for Accounting, 85 for Macro, 62 for QMA and 88 for Global Business...each subject is 6 CP each, so the WAM = 80.5
Since 80.5 falls into the Distinction range (75-84), I have a distinction average. This also means u DONT have to get ALL HD to get a "high distinction average" in this sense

GPA is different, in that u'd have to get an HD in everything to get a GPA of 7

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
so of the two indicators (WAM and GPA), which one is the system they consider for transferring? i'm guessing WAM coz i think few can get GPA 7, right?

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
i'd say gpa, but they'd prbly be looking for something around 6, am i right minai?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, UAC uses the GPA for transferring students (and UAI of course)

On a document Laz posted up: http://www.scu.edu.au/admin/stuadmin/findyourplace/find7.pdf, a GPA of 6 reflects on a selection rank of 96, 6.25 -> 97 [which is what I was on after 1st semester]
To put things into perspective, the Non Recent School Leaver cutoff for UNSW Law was 95.80 in 2003, meaning the average of your UAI and GPA-equivalent selection rank had to have been at minimum 95.8

USyd from memory was around 96.40

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Asquithian
so where does that put u minai ?
My UAI of 95.25 and Selection rank (GPA 6.0) of 96 gives me an NRSL rank of 95.625, which is below last year's cutoff of 95.80 - so unless, by some unlikely miracle, the cutoff is lower next year, I'll miss out

pigs_can_fly

earth girls aren't easy
HSC
awww...poor minai :(
r u sure about all that? it would be a shame cos u put in so much effort and really wanted to transfer...so r u gonna try again next year, or maybe do grad law?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by pigs_can_fly
awww...poor minai :(
r u sure about all that? it would be a shame cos u put in so much effort and really wanted to transfer...so r u gonna try again next year, or maybe do grad law?
according to a post by laz elsewhere, UNSW are fairly liberal with their cutoffs...so its still a possibility
yeah if I still have the desire, I may end up in Grad Law...all depneds on my options after I graduate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)