Law w/ 94.65 UAI (1 Viewer)

JDurrant

HSC
Any chance of transferring into Law after a year with a 94 uai and a distinction average in Arts?

Would I be better of studying Law at say UOW and then transferring?

Anyone?!

Gerald10

HSC
I was talking to one of the guys who runs new college and he said that there were people who are doing law who got low 90's for their UAI after transfering after a year. So I'd say yes you can but youll probably need to work your guts out.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
It is better to do Arts at the University you are intended to do law at. So when you transfer, go from Arts to Arts/Law, whcih means your first year Arts units are not "wasted" as you will gain credit for them (at least more easily since it is in the same institution).

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
JDurrant said:
Any chance of transferring into Law after a year with a 94 uai and a distinction average in Arts?

Anyone?!
I know people who got FEE paying offers with 91 and similar marks. 94 may be good enough to get into HECS law, but you're going to have to work your butt off!

Last edited:

JDurrant

HSC
Currently thinking of doing International Studies @ UNSW attempting a transfer after first year, if unsuccesful completing a degree and then a Graduate law degree.

Can anyone give me any information on these graduate degrees? Is a 'juris doctor' valued the same as a bachelor of Laws. I've emailed UNSW Law but still waiting to hear back.

Any Help? Thanks

mrated96

higginsl
HSC
JDurrant said:

Anyone?!
if you get a HD average you'll get in . I doubt you'd have a chance with less than that but call student services they can tell u more likely what marks you need. But HD average you'll get in like 100%.

If you really wana do Law go to another uni, or if you wana risk it do Arts at UNSW and pick easy subjects, and then try and fast-talk an internal transfer.
but HD average is really quite fucking hard.

dude01

HSC
Survivor39 said:
It is better to do Arts at the University you are intended to do law at. So when you transfer, go from Arts to Arts/Law, whcih means your first year Arts units are not "wasted" as you will gain credit for them (at least more easily since it is in the same institution).
I think that's BS. If your heart is set on law, I'd do arts/law at another university, then attempt to transfer to UNSW. You will most likley get credit for the subjects completed at the other university if you do make the transfer.

This way there is no chance of you being stuck with the arts degree if you don't get the distinction average (or whatever's needed) to transfer from arts to arts/law. A distinction average is not easy to get at all...

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
mrated96 said:
if you get a HD average you'll get in . I doubt you'd have a chance with less than that but call student services they can tell u more likely what marks you need. But HD average you'll get in like 100%.

If you really wana do Law go to another uni, or if you wana risk it do Arts at UNSW and pick easy subjects, and then try and fast-talk an internal transfer.
but HD average is really quite fucking hard.
I reckon a DN average will give him a pretty good chance, but a HD average will guarantee entry

wow!

HSC
N/A
Hey! I got a letter from UNSW afte rteh UAIs were released that said:
Do a non-law discipline in first yr at UNSW and :
- If your UAI was 97+ and you get credit averages in your first yr discipline, you get a guaranteed offer to UNSW combined law in 2010
- IfIf your UAi was btw 95 and 97 and you get distinction avg in your first yr discipline, you too would get guaranteed law offer in 2010.

wow!

HSC
N/A
Ooops, sorry, only read your initial post after I posted.

Well, I reckon if you really want to do law, then go do law in 1st yr at another uni, get distinction averages then transfer. That way you don't miss out on being able to do law.

Or you could try doing another subject, then trasnferring all at the same uni. They do give priority to their own students.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
If you do straight arts at UNSW and then transfer to law, you'll obviously get credit from the arts courses towards your combined degree. If you really want to do law though you should be considering other universities. The other option is taking postgraduate law, and that only takes another year and gives you a chance to take a break if you want it.

litany

Helpfool
HSC
It is possible. I got a UAI of 94.2 for the 2007 HSC, and am transferring into Combined Law at UNSW (after doing Comm/Arts for a year at UNSW) with a GPA of 6.25.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)