Law (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am looking at studying Law/Comm next year, however an issue has been raised. In order to PRACTICE as a lawyer, what qualifications must I need? I know i need:
- B Law
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice

So what else is needed if anything? I have had troubles talking to people who are in the profession I wish to join. I have spoken to my Dads lead Corporate Lawyer, and have been basically snobbed by everyone else in Australia. She (who studied in the UK) said that in the UK it is compulsary that you work as a trainee for 2 years before being able to practice.

Is this relevent to Australia? Must I complete the degree and diploma, and then have 'x' time as a trainee? If yes, how long is this time period?

One more question - Anyone focusing their studies on becoming a Corp Lawyer? If so do you have any advice on the right subjects/major/degree to go with? Or any wep pages/ph numbers i may be able to reach to gain some information.

Thanks for any help.

HSC
Yeah, i read about the bar test from a Victorian site (I think).
What does registering with the Law Institute involve? Just a cash payment? Or study?

HSC
I dont think it is in the wrong forum? It is not about school, so I figure it can go here.

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
i guess youre right but isnt there a guidance/uni sort of forum or something?
i dont really mind i just thought one of the mods might say something..

HSC
There is the uni general forum, but my question does not limit it to uni in general. As melbournian already indicated, there are other requirements outside of uni.

hehe :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)