Law114 (1 Viewer)

dandel26

HSC
The bloody Co-op bookshop's list is stuffing up, anyone know what books at needed for Law114.

Cheers in advance

d.i.m.e Babii

HSC
I'm doing LAW 114 first semester and bought:

~Denise Meyerson 'Essential Jurisprudence'
~Course Notes (VOL 1 and 2)

I hope thats all we need.

Wedgesquid

HSC
The two 'set' texts from what ive been told are Essential Jurisprudence (Meyerson) and the Australian Guide To Legal Citation. We also need two course material books, which are available on the lower level of the Co-op.

lilsxcwog89

Lazy Ass
HSC
Dont buy the required text Essential Jurisprudence from the Co-op bookshop, ($45) its a rip-off. You can buy the same book from Angus and Robertson for $37. Also the LAW114 Webct is now put up it includes topic outlines and suggested readings and lecture summaries.

X

xeuyrawp

lilsxcwog89 said:
Dont buy the required text Essential Jurisprudence from the Co-op bookshop, ($45) its a rip-off. You can buy the same book from Angus and Robertson for $37.
You can generally find most books at a cheaper price than the Coop...

The Australian Legal Guide to Citation is online. You will not need to buy it, you will just need to refer to it when you're finalising your essays and taking down references.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
You can generally find most books at a cheaper price than the Coop...

The Australian Legal Guide to Citation is online. You will not need to buy it, you will just need to refer to it when you're finalising your essays and taking down references.
Personally, I'd buy it. It's a pretty small investment that'll last you five years. Particularly handy for 2nd year.

X

xeuyrawp

GoodToGo said:
Personally, I'd buy it. It's a pretty small investment that'll last you five years. Particularly handy for 2nd year.
Well they shouldn't make students waste $15 by claiming it's a necessary textbook.

This is why I still think that you should never buy books before second week.

Tabris

HSC
I didnt buy the AGLC. I used a 2nd hand book by Annita Stuhmcke - Butterworths guide to legal citation, it is a little small bluebook. After checking the online version, it shouldnt really matter if u have it or not, just save a copy on your pc.

As for referencing, i found the examples in the unit outline pretty well detailed to suit first year students.

I found 3 different styles just for referencing a page in a book. The rule of thumb is consistency, as long as u got author, title, year, publisher, and page number, it should be fine.

The details such as italics, inverted commas, and the order of the authors surname/first name/initial shouldnt matter that much. Both the Australian Legal Guide Citation and Butterworths guide to legal citation stress that consistency is important

iwannarock

HSC
since when did you have to buy a textbook for jurisprudence.

back when i did it was just 2 course materials books.

ah well the subjects more like a philosophy course anyway.

Too right

HSC
hey guys
Quick question
You know how the course notes for LAW114 have a table of contents for each week and for each week they have like 6/7 or more/less cases or important findings that get discussed... do we have to read only those that are listed in the table of contents or the whole book of notes line to line

If this question sux balls, please excuse my naivety. First time law student obviously.

Tabris

HSC
I didnt read all of it, i read the big articles which directly relate to the topic, as for the other minor readings, i read what was needed to answer the tute questions. The more u read, the more u understand, the more u can contribute and better your class participation mark.

But, for the assignment, when u critique two pieces, best to read all of it

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
iwannarock said:
since when did you have to buy a textbook for jurisprudence.

back when i did it was just 2 course materials books.

ah well the subjects more like a philosophy course anyway.
Ah yes, the good ol' days when law was a cheap subject....

Now, you need to apply for a bank loan to afford half the books (which you usually dont end up reading)!

dandel26

HSC
The damn book is written by the convening proffessor. I suppose it subsidies her income.......

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Ah yes, the good ol' days when law was a cheap subject....

Now, you need to apply for a bank loan to afford half the books (which you usually dont end up reading)!
im so scared of how much the textbooks are gonna cost for *gulp* 3 law subjects.

i swear i dont even use them until essay time.

mine are all kept in mint condition.

equity was kept in its original wrapping til about week 9 of the semester.

all brand new with no highlighter marks in them or anything.

im selling them off to buy this years.

unless i carry out my defer uni until further notice plan.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
iwannarock said:
im so scared of how much the textbooks are gonna cost for *gulp* 3 law subjects.

i swear i dont even use them until essay time.

mine are all kept in mint condition.

equity was kept in its original wrapping til about week 9 of the semester.

all brand new with no highlighter marks in them or anything.

im selling them off to buy this years.

unless i carry out my defer uni until further notice plan.
Which units are you doing?

I managed to get remedies second hand for $80, so thats not too bad. Health law I had to buy the book because its the first time it has been used (but it was only $45). So all in all, this year is cheaper for me than last year :rofl:

I always sell my books... they are always in mint condition, too, for very similar reasons to you IWR... especially my const and admin. *shudders* So glad they are over!!

iwannarock

HSC
MaryJane said:
Which units are you doing?

I managed to get remedies second hand for $80, so thats not too bad. Health law I had to buy the book because its the first time it has been used (but it was only $45). So all in all, this year is cheaper for me than last year :rofl:

I always sell my books... they are always in mint condition, too, for very similar reasons to you IWR... especially my const and admin. *shudders* So glad they are over!!
trade practices......labour law........remedies.

hey how hard was it to get a waiver to do IT.

i have a friend wanting to do it. seems like many ppl want to do it this year. i don't know why they just can't wait til 5th year.:confused:

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
iwannarock said:
trade practices......labour law........remedies.

hey how hard was it to get a waiver to do IT.

i have a friend wanting to do it. seems like many ppl want to do it this year. i don't know why they just can't wait til 5th year.:confused:
Ah, you're doing all those smart people units. Meanwhile, I cruise along on my medio-legal bent, but loving it!

I decided to do IT next year, because I'm taking up some PSY units... I dont understand why people cant wait, either... It isnt going to change anything about their program. Although I do think its pretty odd the Faculty has a pre-req of a 400-level for a 400-level held in the same semester.

X

xeuyrawp

dandel26 said:
The damn book is written by the convening proffessor. I suppose it subsidies her income.......
To be fair to her, it is quite a good book. It's very concise and to-the-point, and really just outlines all the jurists' views in plain English, which is of great help.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Ah, you're doing all those smart people units. Meanwhile, I cruise along on my medio-legal bent, but loving it!

I decided to do IT next year, because I'm taking up some PSY units... I dont understand why people cant wait, either... It isnt going to change anything about their program. Although I do think its pretty odd the Faculty has a pre-req of a 400-level for a 400-level held in the same semester.
Actually Trade Prac, Labour Law and Remedies are amongst the easiest units I've done in 400-500 level (with the exclusion of the Journal units).

In particular, Labour law has 1 class a week which runs for only 2 hours, though it's down in the timetable as 4 hours. It's more of a sociology-type unit about class struggle. Recommended!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)