• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Lawyers vs. Accountants (2 Viewers)

ioniser

HSC
lawyers get more women ,while although accountants do get decent pay ,work takes up too much time of their lives especially before fiancial year and leaves them no time for women which explains why they have the highiest bachelor rate of all professions at 60 percent.While the lawyers are at the bottom of the list in bachelor rates(i suppose its also their reputation that they have)

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
Is there anything sadder than a commerce student?
Dont give up on life - do law and give up on humanity instead.
For the record, I'm enrolled in Bcom/LLB

lawyers get more women ,while although accountants do get decent pay ,work takes up too much time of their lives especially before fiancial year and leaves them no time for women which explains why they have the highiest bachelor rate of all professions at 60 percent.While the lawyers are at the bottom of the list in bachelor rates(i suppose its also their reputation that they have)
1. um...I hope you realise Financial Year is irrelevant, since not many companies actually finalise their books according to a june 30 year end. Its only really relevant for your personal tax return you file yourself.
2. Also, I don't think time out of work is correlated with relationships, in which case Investment Bankers and Traders would have a 100% bachelor rate.
3. Additionally, I think that Lawyers are more notorious for long hours than Accountants are.

ND

HSC
turtleface said:
2. Also, I don't think time out of work is correlated with relationships, in which case Investment Bankers and Traders would have a 100% bachelor rate.
The hours for trading actually aren't that bad.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
turtleface said:
For the record, I'm enrolled in Bcom/LLB
Curious to know, are you planning to go into a predominantly commerce related profession, or a law related profession?

turtleface

HSC
Although I think law's easier and it suits me better, I've sort of pledged myself to an accounting firm for auditing, and I'd feel bad about backing out. I'll probably drop Law, I've only done like 2 subjects anyway.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
wtf u've done a massive 2 law subjects and decided that it is easier than accounting?
yup, the 'real' law i found in foundations was an absolute cinch.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Frigid said:
yup, the 'real' law i found in foundations was an absolute cinch.
How much of the "real" law is seen in the "Commerce-Law" subjects? ie- Business Law, Corporations Law?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
redruM said:
How much of the "real" law is seen in the "Commerce-Law" subjects? ie- Business Law, Corporations Law?
depends.

i felt the coverage of Business Law and Ethics, for example, was really superficial. you spend 1 lecture on one whole area of law (say, liability under torts, liability under TPA), while law students can spend one or more semesters on those subjects. it really questions the 'usefulness' of studying a business law course.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Frigid said:
depends.

i felt the coverage of Business Law and Ethics, for example, was really superficial. you spend 1 lecture on one whole area of law (say, liability under torts, liability under TPA), while law students can spend one or more semesters on those subjects. it really questions the 'usefulness' of studying a business law course.
I'm sure as part of your law degree you doing computing, statistics, economics, etc., which might not seem "useful", but was still part of your degree. I'd say such subjects serve the same purpose.

Edit: Why did you like me to the subject? Maybe you are taking the reference thing too far? :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
redruM said:
I'm sure as part of your law degree you doing computing, statistics, economics, etc., which might not seem "useful", but was still part of your degree. I'd say such subjects serve the same purpose.
i don't do computing, statistics, economics in law.

some computing is necessary to type out documents and look up stuff on the internet, but surely that is not 'real' computing.

as far as statistics and economics, they are only part of my commerce degree.
redruM said:
Edit: Why did you like me to the subject? Maybe you are taking the reference thing too far? :p
huh? :confused:

turtleface

HSC
wtf u've done a massive 2 law subjects and decided that it is easier than accounting?
It seems with law subjects you can rote learn a lot of it (not all, as you need to understand the ratio decidendi
and stuff), and you know what you have to learn: i.e. legislation and case law, but with accounting the learning is endless, you need to understand not just accounting theory and technical accounting but also:
1. Information Systems
2. Application of commercial law on Accounting Practices
3. learn how economic theory applies to things like Costing and Agency Theory
4. learn the boundaries between accounting and finance and how finance is relevant for accounting
5. learn how to make heaps of calculations eg. dcf, ratios, variance analysis
6. develop business acumen

at least in my opinion, law is more manageable. You are able to put in a lot of hard work and learn all the legislation and case law, which you can then spew out when stimulated. with accounting, even if you put in hard work you still are lost in a lot of stuff.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
turtleface said:
at least in my opinion, law is more manageable. You are able to put in a lot of hard work and learn all the legislation and case law, which you can then spew out when stimulated. with accounting, even if you put in hard work you still are lost in a lot of stuff.
i think what santa means is that your opinion has about as much core substance as a hollow log if you come to that assumption after two subjects (foundations and torts, i presume).

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Frigid said:
i don't do computing, statistics, economics in law.

some computing is necessary to type out documents and look up stuff on the internet, but surely that is not 'real' computing.

as far as statistics and economics, they are only part of my commerce degree.
huh? :confused:
Maybe I was a bit misguided in my perception of the details of you course structure. But, having said that, I think you do understand the reason for doing these "useless" subjects in that they give you the general skills required in the professional world, much like your computing subject.

Oh and my last line should have read:
Edit: Why did you link me to the subject? Maybe you are taking the referencing thing too far?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
redruM said:
But, having said that, I think you do understand the reason for doing these "useless" subjects in that they give you the general skills required in the professional world, much like your computing subject.
no, a generalist business law subject would not give you the 'general' skills in relation to business law. 99.9% of the time, the business would need to look to a lawyer, not an existing non-lawyer employee, for legal advice.

btw, in case i misled you with my words, i don't mean i actually do a computing subject in law. most law degrees require a research subject, and part of that involves looking up stuff (in both hardcopy and on computer). we haven't learnt anything beyond constructing a boolean search string ;)
redruM said:
Edit: Why did you link me to the subject? Maybe you are taking the referencing thing too far?
i did that subject at UTS. and i take it to be an example of a generalist business law subject.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Frigid said:
depends.

The purpose of that subject is just to give Business students an overview of law and some issues they might encounter in business. It's just to get an idea that legal issues do exist in the Business world and knowing what torts is, contracts, TPA, etc helps you in everyday life. I guess if you want more detailed knowledge then who do the LLB, however for people like myself who don't really like law, it gives you the minimum you need to know.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Frigid said:
no, a generalist business law subject would not give you the 'general' skills in relation to business law. 99.9% of the time, the business would need to look to a lawyer, not an existing non-lawyer employee, for legal advice.

btw, in case i misled you with my words, i don't mean i actually do a computing subject in law. most law degrees require a research subject, and part of that involves looking up stuff (in both hardcopy and on computer). we haven't learnt anything beyond constructing a boolean search string ;)
i did that subject at UTS. and i take it to be an example of a generalist business law subject.
I'd say, however that 100% of the time, the knowledge and/or skills gained by doing these "useless" subjects is cruicial in their respective cases. They are included in the program of study for a reason, and by people who know better than you (didn't mean to get personal). You need to trust their judgment, I guess.

And, with the link to your subject, I was quesitoning the need for me to see it? Umm..got serious?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
redruM said:
They are included in the program of study for a reason, and by people who know better than you (didn't mean to get personal). You need to trust their judgment, I guess.
i believe all this time i was answering your first question:
redruM said:
redruM said:
And, with the link to your subject, I was quesitoning the need for me to see it? Umm..got serious?
i had to do that subject, even in a combined law degree. i felt it was crap. :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)