• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

laz seeker (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

I don't think you can do that...
u definitely cannot.....it would violate the rights of the software developer. it would be in direct breach of copyright laws and licence agreements.

(sdd exam tmw;))

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul

u definitely cannot.....it would violate the rights of the software developer. it would be in direct breach of copyright laws and licence agreements.

(sdd exam tmw;))
Obviously you know I wasn't applying it in "Social & Ethical" terms :p
(G'luck, mine's on next Thursday & I have Wed free to study haha!)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by deyveed
Yeh. The site needs money to run but not $1000's.
You'd be surprised....

Originally posted by Rahul

(sdd exam tmw;))
another reason is that all ur friends would need to do exactly the same subjects..

T

tactic

Originally posted by deyveed
Yeh. The site needs money to run but not $1000's.
Not thousands? find me an australian hosting company that will let you do about 100gb a month of data transfer and not costs thousands per year..

the most expensive quote i got was 10,000$ a month. If we were in it for the money wouldnt we be charging for everything on the site?

It really pisses me off when people say that the site doesnt cost much to run.. well let me tell you that from the start of this year until now we have spent over 1000$ to keep this place running, so dont give me this "the site doesnt need money to run" bullshit cos i am sick to fucking death of it.

Makes me wonder why we are even bothering planning on adding new features to the site to help you people. :rolleyes:

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by tactic

Makes me wonder why we are even bothering planning on adding new features to the site to help you people. :rolleyes:
Don't then. But know that there are always a few people who use the site that aren't aware of the costs & time it takes to run it efficiently. And just for them you have a big whinge at all of us & pull a melodrama... so don't bother.

Christine

beige member
HSC
GOMO

Get Over It Move On.

You have to pay for UAI Seeker now. Big Deal - Nothing stays free forever.....

Sometimes you have to give a little bit to get a lot in return

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
We are allowed to use & distribute the old version of Lazseeker, right?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by wogboy
We are allowed to use & distribute the old version of Lazseeker, right?
Use it? Yes, although it is outdated and so inaccurate.

Distribute it? Not in connection with this website ...

yr12

HSC
Who suggested that they could make thousands of dollars out of lazseeker?
Even if the money WERE going into the admin's pockets, there would be no way they'd make thousands at $15 a pop

Rahul

Dead Member
its not really an issue....its like free samlples u get in shops, if they start charging for it, no one should really complain. if u still want it, go ahead and buy it(for its so yummy:p) and if u dont then jus quietly wallk around the shop or LEAVE

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
haha rahul, I like the analogy.

IQ, i believe the admins have a right to be at least a little melodramatic.. ;)

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by anti
haha rahul, I like the analogy.

IQ, i believe the admins have a right to be at least a little melodramatic.. ;)
Hahaha oki anti is that like a special right they incur as part of their admin status? :p

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i still dont see what the big deal is... its not like you're being charged to use the forum or the notes or anything... lazseeker is simply an additional extra to the experience, which if you want, you pay for...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by snakeoils
i still dont see what the big deal is... its not like you're being charged to use the forum or the notes or anything... lazseeker is simply an additional extra to the experience, which if you want, you pay for...
There is no big deal. Lazseeker used to be free, people were wondering why things changed. That's all.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by InfiniteQ

There is no big deal. Lazseeker used to be free, people were wondering why things changed. That's all.
wondering is one thing...complaining is another.

ellebelle

Originally posted by tactic

I sometimes wonder why you guys bother, because it is such a selfless thing to do - but it helps so many of us so much.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Well, I payed to use Ozseek a few months ago, before I found out that it was combined with lazseeker. It made me happier to know that what I paid was going to contribute to keep this site running. I would rather pay $15 (not very much at all really for a whole year of usage... bet you could scab the money out of your parents considering it's for educational purposes... I did lol) for a service than put up with annoying ads that I would just ignore anyway, hence not supporting the site.

Think of all the stuff you get for free on this site... the notes, boards etc. You act as though BOS is stealing from you by removing lazseeker, taking something you own, when it belongs to laz and he can choose to give it away or sell it. If you wrote a novel that was good enough to get published, would you just put it on the web for free, or sell it as a book???

I really don't think this classifies as "selling out" at all. People need to think a little more about what it would take both financially and time wise to run this site... nothing is free!! Web servers cost a lot!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Well, I payed to use Ozseek a few months ago, before I found out that it was combined with lazseeker. It made me happier to know that what I paid was going to contribute to keep this site running. I would rather pay $15 (not very much at all really for a whole year of usage... bet you could scab the money out of your parents considering it's for educational purposes... I did lol) for a service than put up with annoying ads that I would just ignore anyway, hence not supporting the site.

Think of all the stuff you get for free on this site... the notes, boards etc. You act as though BOS is stealing from you by removing lazseeker, taking something you own, when it belongs to laz and he can choose to give it away or sell it. If you wrote a novel that was good enough to get published, would you just put it on the web for free, or sell it as a book???

I really don't think this classifies as "selling out" at all. People need to think a little more about what it would take both financially and time wise to run this site... nothing is free!! Web servers cost a lot!!
Thank you! Finally a constructive comment
I'm sure Laz and the gang will be grateful for that
Definately worth the meagre $15, wen u think about it...its like the cost of a movie ticket, except the movie lasts till December

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
You act as though BOS is stealing from you by removing lazseeker, taking something you own, when it belongs to laz and he can choose to give it away or sell it. If you wrote a novel that was good enough to get published, would you just put it on the web for free, or sell it as a book???
I have a feeling I am gonna get attacked for this...but meh-it's the truth.
Why is everyone getting so defensive?! This thread was only started cos people wanted to know what was going on...when people found out the situation, did anyone say that it was a selfish act? No. If people are not informed, you can't get shitty afterwards if they start thinking the wrong thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)