lcd or crt for games ?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
ok i'm going to build my ultra ~$2500 dollar system, but i was wondering if i should get an lcd or a crt.

what are the pros cons.

btw this will be basically used for playing games...and thats about it

but its gonna be the best of everything.

even getting cable soon :eek: (sorry all the other smilies were missing for some reason)

im thinking of getting a 19" black flat screen crt monitor, but i dunno i dont really want a 15 inch lcd, anyone want to convince me?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I use a TFT LCD for gaming. I see no noticable difference between TFT and CRT.

LCD in general, though, has slower refresh rate, so a CRT is advised for gaming, but maybe not if you want to keep your head away from all that radiation and such.

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I use a TFT LCD for gaming. I see no noticable difference between TFT and CRT.

LCD in general, though, has slower refresh rate, so a CRT is advised for gaming, but maybe not if you want to keep your head away from all that radiation and such.

ahhh ic, well i dont really care too much abt radiation...lol rather the playing quality.

i play in short bursts, and not too close to the monitor.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
CRT, CRT, CRT.

I love CRT's. Even the best LCD monitors only do 8ms AT BEST, the average being much higher. LCD's give you ghosting.

The pro's of an LCD have mainly to do with size and energy consumption. Besides that the CRT is king.

LCD's are also quite often incompatible with many resolutions, and as a gamer you should know the importance of being able to adjust resolution to meet your frame rate and size requirements.

The two areas where I would reccomend CRT over LCD is in gaming and design applications.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I'm seriously starting to think my TFT LCD screen is pretty damn special.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
While LCDs are catching up in terms of refresh rates, I'm yet to see one match a CRT. Definitely get a CRT if you're going to be gaming - even though LCDs look attractive and have nice displays.

sunny

meh.
HSC
LCD = better clarity, friendlier on the eyes, smaller, less power
CRT = better response time, better with multiple resolutions, bigger, more power

You decide.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have both, and i prefer lcd for work. CRT for gaming. CRT's typically have a response time of <1ms. So yes they are quicker, but lcd's are heaps better for your eyes, although they only look good in their native resolution.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Well if you intend to lan an LCD is easier to cart around - though I have carried my 21" CRT it just requires abit of effort.

Best deal ever on it though, scored it for free because the place my dad works at was replacing their CAD machines and the old ones were essentially a free for all.

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
Get a Samsung 172x 17" LCD monitor, with a refresh rater of 12 ms, it is an ultimate LCD for games, guranteed.

equiski

HSC
jonathan109 said:
Get a Samsung 172x 17" LCD monitor, with a refresh rater of 12 ms, it is an ultimate LCD for games, guranteed.
I thought the CRT is the ultimate LCD for gamers.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
crt for games and dvds period ...
if space isnt an issue crt is still the best

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
LCD overall for all round use, however if u are looking from far, the lcd gets fuzzy and stuff.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Flat screen crt.

Mainly for quality.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Refresh rate is how many times your display refreshes each second. Most newer computers refresh at 75 hertz (75 refreshes a second), but you can crank it higher if you so desire.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
if you you gonna get a 24in CRT think about the depth.... you will need a pretty big desk....

i'd rather 2 17in LCDs.

as for gaming, unless you play some thing really dark like doom3, there aren't any real problems. there is little visible ghosting on my 16ms panel. mabye a little bluring in driving games...

z.co

its bullshit. LCD are shit. but they save amazingly alot of space. i bouht a CRT, because its clearer, DVD movies are better to watch on any angle, assuming u have ur computer in ur room .. and lie down and fall asleep whilewatch movies..

BUT !!!!

u grow out of games.. so i'd gget a LCD .!!

and also. i wanna add . ."you are building an ultra 2500 computer ?" hahah lame

a computer will be obselete in about 2.5 years, no matter if u spend 1.5k or 3k. it will be gone !.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)