Lear, Contexts of different composers (1 Viewer)

adkeswani2

HSC
Hi all.

Browsing various threads on Lear. Have found many describing WHAT the composers are trying to focus on, e.g. domestic issues, nihilism, etc.etc., but not much on WHY, i.e. the context in which these composers were...composing. Is this necessary to include in an essay? If so, then what contexts were Brooks and Eyre composing in?

Gabble9889

HSC
adkeswani2 said:
Hi all.

Browsing various threads on Lear. Have found many describing WHAT the composers are trying to focus on, e.g. domestic issues, nihilism, etc.etc., but not much on WHY, i.e. the context in which these composers were...composing. Is this necessary to include in an essay? If so, then what contexts were Brooks and Eyre composing in?
brooks production was post war so the bleak atmosphere and setting is attrubited to that.... again that is why the actors faces are also bland no showning much expression...

thats all i can help u with... hope it helps

adkeswani2

HSC
Appreciated. I think some other factors of Brooks context were developments in philosophy, including the introduction of nihilism (?) hence the focus upon nothingness + the bleak atmosphere of the film. Also, patriarchal values were being questioned in Brooks time, so that is why Lear is conveyed as being merely a shadow. Still haven't really found anything on Eyre's production though. Why does he focus upon relationships and family life? Thanks in advance.

print

HSC
For Eyre:
Rising divorce rates of that time would influence the domestic tragedy. Also I remember my teacher saying something about the break down of the Royal family around that time and this is a BBC production. Hope that helps, let us know if you find anythign else.
And do you know how much we need to go into the context of the different productions?

adkeswani2

HSC
here's what i've got (sry if i repeat anyone else's): Brook's: - Cold War, bleak environment, standoff between nations - patriarchal values being challenged, see phallic symbol in opening scene, Lear is encased inside it, only a shadow of a ruler Eyre's: - Rising divorce rates/single parenting led him to focus on the dysfunctional family - Other texts in his time were also looking at family relationships (sitcoms?) hope this helps. Also, I'm not really sure if you need to write about context, but I feel that it's better than simply stating what they focus on...I'd rather give the "what" and the "why" as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)