Learner Driver help (1 Viewer)

snail_2006

HSC
Hello I'm a learner driver (manual) and I'm petrified of driving, I'm also an expert procrastinator after putting it off for six months I got my learners last year went driving for a bit stopped for four months went driving a bit more and didn't drive for another six months. I done a total of 11 hours and still want to throw up every time I get behind the wheel. My parents and older siblings are very enthusiastic about me driving not a day goes by where they don't ask me if I want to drive but I'm just too scared, I start thinking about dying/killing someone/hitting a pole/ stalling and then being ran into etc. Does anyone have the same problem or any ideas for me to get over my phobia?

Pace_T

HSC
hi
umm i think the moderaters should move this thread into the cars and automobiles forum.
i reckon u should just practice in quiet areas even places where there arent even any gutters or whatever that makes u frightened and get used to driving there first. unless of course its just getting inside and sitting inside the drivers seat that gets u nervous? out of curoisty did u have an accident before which caused u 2 have this phobia or did u find that u just had it for no reason

Pieces of Me

HSC
snail_2006 said:
Hello I'm a learner driver (manual) and I'm petrified of driving, I'm also an expert procrastinator after putting it off for six months I got my learners last year went driving for a bit stopped for four months went driving a bit more and didn't drive for another six months. I done a total of 11 hours and still want to throw up every time I get behind the wheel. My parents and older siblings are very enthusiastic about me driving not a day goes by where they don't ask me if I want to drive but I'm just too scared, I start thinking about dying/killing someone/hitting a pole/ stalling and then being ran into etc. Does anyone have the same problem or any ideas for me to get over my phobia?
I'm the same, if my parents ask me if i want to drive I make up some stupid excuse and BTW I've only done 7 hours :(

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
I would recommend you to get a professional driving instructor to help you out. They're pretty good you know (abc isn't that bad, from what i know).

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i wasnt petrified as such, but i absolutely hated learning.
some tips (some already mentioned)

- try and learn with someone you feel comfortable with. in my case it was much more my dad than my mum. coz he was more calm, i stayed calm.

- i would definitely reccommend that you see a driving instructor. they are very experienced people and will probably have hints and tips on how to get over the phobia

- start in very isolated areas. large, abandoned carparks are good (think empty sporting complexes) once you are comfortable, try empty roads - back country roads are usually the best if you have access to them

all in all, the best thing you can probably do is stick with it. the more experience you gain, the more confidence you should have.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i think all you truly need is practice. once you realise that you can drive somewhere without causing any deaths, maybe you'll see that its not that bad.

alternatively, who says you have to get your licence right now?? maybe you could just put it off for a year or so. i know a lot of 20 somethings on their p plates. maybe you just arent mentally ready to be in control of a vehicle.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I agree with Shell, all you need is practice. I used to be like that, but the more I drove, the less nervous I became.

I started driving in our backyard, just moving the car forwards and backwards (i know it doesn't seem like much, but it helps to get a feel of the car). Then I went to an empty car park and spent an hour or so just driving around the car park. Then moved to the back / quite streets. Mum then took me to Homebush Bay, which is an excellent place to learn to drive (wide roads, not a lot of traffic, stop signs, traffic lights etc). Then gradually moved to busier roads such as Victoria Road, Parra Road etc.

I'd also suggest that you get a professional driving instructor. I'm having lessons with ABC, and they are quite nice.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
yeh i have the same problem, not so much the phobia, but the procrastination :)

i got my l's in november of 2004.

to date i have done 1 hour (and i have completely forgotten everything i learnt within that hour, wasn't much though coz it was with my mum not a professional instructor).

my l's expire this november. hmm.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I absolutely detest right turns. Left turns--no problem. Right turn--arggh! Either I nearly smash onto the kerb because I turned the wheel too late, or I go onto the other person's lane. btw, do we have to do the tasks in order of the booklet? I've done reverse parking but not U-turns (done a three point turn though), or changing/merging lanes.

pete_mate

HSC
snail_2006 said:
ahaha! this is why i always honk at learner drivers and overtake them

tennille

HSC
lala2 said:
btw, do we have to do the tasks in order of the booklet? I've done reverse parking but not U-turns (done a three point turn though), or changing/merging lanes.
It doesn't really matter. As long as you learn it before the test. :)

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
I usually drive in the middle of day in quiet streets where there's like no traffic at all. I got a professional driving instructor to help me out. He was really good, and unlike my dad, he took notice of the little things that i did wrong while i was driving. I was a lot more confident and had concentrated on the road after i did about 20 hrs. So don't worry... you'll get there eventually :)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I'm not alone!!!!

I was like that but I have done about 15 hours in a manual and I feel more confident. All up I have done 23 hours. Everytime dad asks me I still get nervous, but when I start driving it feels natural. Dad still holds the hand brake when I do hill starts and I haven't done reverse parking as of yet. I think I will end up doing alot more than 50 hours before I go for my P's

snail_2006

HSC
Thanks for the advice everyone I might try a bit of everything suggested, though I want to get my P's before they introduce the new laws in Victoria

Pace_T said:
hi
umm i think the moderaters should move this thread into the cars and automobiles forum.
i reckon u should just practice in quiet areas even places where there arent even any gutters or whatever that makes u frightened and get used to driving there first. unless of course its just getting inside and sitting inside the drivers seat that gets u nervous? out of curoisty did u have an accident before which caused u 2 have this phobia or did u find that u just had it for no reason
also Pace_T, I was in a small accident a few years ago which is probably what triggered the phobia, but I think if I can get over the initial learner nerves aswell I should be alright. Anyway thanks again, the advice has been helpful.

pete_mate

HSC
iceflower86 said:
I'm on my Green P's but have very little experience because I'm also petrified of driving! I'm okay once I'm in the car but the thought of having to drive still scares me. I've just bought a car..I'm trying to get over it..
haha, that's unusual. when you get your green p's you start to get road rage, drive aggressively and park excellently.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
transcendent said:
If you're naturally timid, don't drive.
then you'd just be a nuisance and will end up causing an accident. as everyone else said the only way to get over such a fear is taking it slow and easy and by plenty of practise...!

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
snail_2006 said:
Hey manual girl, I'm was a bit like you in 2005.
I had an "accident" so to speak on my 10th hour of manual driving (uhm, I learnt in a car with no power steering was doing a U turn -- didn't do a full right lock, ending up in a ditch out the front of a nursing home, argh. I thought I had killed my father.... not good).

After that I was petrified for a day or so.
But I just got back into the car.
Now I'm a confident driver -- especially with U turns and everything except proper parking which i'm working on. I also had to get used to two new cars this yeah so basically i've learnt on 4 clutches (1 old car, 2 new cars, instructors)...blah

All I can say is that if you want to get this license, you're going to have to get back into the car.
But maybe it'll be best if you get a good instructor (trent/L trent is good) because they have dual controls and will teach you how to utilise the clutch/friction point all that jazz -- so you will learn how to keep the car purring.
They'll also teach you how to be a more confident driver
You're going to have to practice, but do it only in areas you're comfortable with, learning to drive is a gradual thing -- dont worry about the time okay. Go from quiet to country roads (if u can), to semi busy to suburban to city. Oh and night driving. You'll be fine :) Have faith in yourself! You can do it...

Saying that i'm a learner with 80hrs learning in the country.

bizadfar

HSC
I recommend you gain confidence on quiet areas. The carpark idea is excellent. I use to go for HOURS before i got my Ls(no license) around an empty carpark usually after 5pm. Reverse park (non parallel) and learn the dimensions of your car. Mind you i did hit a pole(lucky tyre on the back saved me). Once you get driving on the busy streets, at first you do get nervous, but it is also thrilling.

ALso try and stay and learn in one car. I went from a small hatch with no power steering and a weaek engine, which would take a beating (can turn it very agressively) around corners to a 4WD which made turning feel like i was going to tip. The low end power was really high too, I'd hit 60 twice as quick and was very easy to speed in. In the end it's a good thing to get a feel for different cars, and adapt to them, but if you're on your Ls and want to pass your test ASAP, learn the one car perfectly

I've driven a Toyota Starlet, Toyota Landcruiser, Honda Integra 2005/06, Holden Astra, all on my Ls. I will tell you now, the Toyota's have very soft brake pedals. I drove my test in the Integra and I just misjudged how much brake pressure to apply due to the very stiff pedal and didn't stop fast enough (ie, went over the line). I was pretty angry at my self because the car had ABS, i could've slammed the brake without locking (the Toyotas didn't have ABS, and I actually slid downhill in the 4WD) The latter 2 cars had power steering and the first car (starlet) didn't. I did probably 75% of my driving in that car.

Another car to learn BMW E36 323i :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)