Learning Maths Outside of School (1 Viewer)

historia

HSC
Hi,

I've always been somewhat interested in maths, but i've never been very good at it. Because my results in maths were so much lower (like 55%) than the rest of my subjects, I ended up dropping from 2 unit it general mid year 11 and then dropping maths altogether at the start of year twelve. However, I've always wanted to learn more about maths (preferably in a scenario where it doesn't count towards marks so I can learn at my own pace/ ability level.) So i've resolved to try and learn more outside of school, definitely not until the end of the HSC but I thought I should ask now before I forget. I was just wondering what would be a good method for me to learn maths outside of school? (e.g. bridging course, books, borrowing someone's textbook, online videos etc.) Please note that I did 5.3 in year 10 (just scraped in) and 2 unit for 2 terms of yr 11, although I didn't get most of it so assume that my level of understanding is very basic. Thanks in advance :smile:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It really depends on whether you want to learn about the history of mathematics and the discoveries from a qualitative perspective or if you want to engage with mathematics on a quantitative level, which literally means understanding the derivation of various theorems and proves and how these correlate together to confirm or predict other theories. For the qualitative option, you could always watch documentaries/read books on history of mathematics, there are some non-fiction books on specific phenomena of mathematics such as the Fibonacci sequence and Golden Ratio. For the quantitative engagement, you can always find maths textbooks to read and do practice questions in.

The deepest engagement of Mathematics can only come from learning mathematical concepts, practising questions to truly understand the concepts that the discipline of mathematics are built and expanded upon.

historia

HSC
Yeah, i'd be more interested in the quantitative/ conceptual stuff rather than the history of maths etc. So to do that you'd recommend just getting a textbook and giving some questions a go?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, i'd be more interested in the quantitative/ conceptual stuff rather than the history of maths etc. So to do that you'd recommend just getting a textbook and giving some questions a go?
I would recommend getting a Maths textbook, looking at the introduction of maths concept and worked examples, giving questions a go, have a read of the extracurricular thread on the BOS maths forum whenever you have time-it will really develop and expand your interest in Maths. It is like science, to learn more about science, the best way is actually to conduct experiments and make discoveries yourself, likewise, the BEST and MOST direct way to learn about MATHS is to practice questions and understand concepts-so you don't just read through proves, but YOU UNDERSTAND THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THESE PROOFS as well as how the various elements of the proofs connects together. Hope this helps:)

historia

HSC
I would recommend getting a Maths textbook, looking at the introduction of maths concept and worked examples, giving questions a go, have a read of the extracurricular thread on the BOS maths forum whenever you have time-it will really develop and expand your interest in Maths. It is like science, to learn more about science, the best way is actually to conduct experiments and make discoveries yourself, likewise, the BEST and MOST direct way to learn about MATHS is to practice questions and understand concepts-so you don't just read through proves, but YOU UNDERSTAND THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THESE PROOFS as well as how the various elements of the proofs connects together. Hope this helps:)
Cheers, thanks for the help, attempting to rep but already have b4 :(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)