Learning the skeletal system and muscular system as fast as possible? (1 Viewer)

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I had my first year 11 PDHPE class yesterday, and now have no idea what the hell I'm going to do.

We started off with all the usual stuff, the syllabus, possible excursions, topics, etc. The entire time I was looking around the class and realised that everyone there had done PASS the year before except me. Instead of the usual two small classes of senior PDHPE, we have one big class because of timetable issues and the fact that the majority of the year has decided to take a VET subject, not because they even want to go into that field of work, but so that their assessments won't be that hard and they will be able to go out on work placement because our school scrapped the usual community service and work experience allocated to the last couple of weeks of year 10.

Our teacher went on about how much she hates large classes and how she wants us to all be able to push ourselves in this class because it will be harder for her to make sure everyone is at the level they should be. I prefer to be an independent worker, and hate teachers who hover, so that was fine - but then she started going through what we would be doing in the first 5 weeks of this term - and listed all the things she was only brushing over because "you all did reasonably well in PASS anyway".

The main thing that we're skipping? Learning the skeletal and muscular systems. She gave us a worksheet to label, and the entire class finished straight away, while I was left there thinking what I had gotten myself into. When class finished, I went up to her and told her that a) I didn't do PASS, and b) if we were going to do any other work on the two systems. All she did was just tell me that I would have to teach and learn them myself because it would be unfair to teach the entire class all over again, which I can understand, but it still annoys me.

So now I'm not sure if I should be dropping PDHPE, even though I really want to do it. Or if I should try to get a tudor to help we along with anything else they decide to skip. I've already dedicated my entire weekend to trying to get a grasp of at least the skeletal system.

We were told by her on our subject talks that doing PASS was not necessary for the PDHPE course.

Are there any really good ways anyone knows to memorise the skeletal and muscular systems? Or sites? Or anything? :confused2:

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Firstly, DO NOT DROP PDHPE just because you didn't do PASS. If you like it, stick with it.
Secondly, I wouldn't get a tutor just for this. The skeletal and muscular systems are quite easy to get your head around, it just requires a little memorisation.
I'm not sure about the sites but if one of your friends in your PDHPE class did PASS, maybe you could borrow their book and learn the work.
The way I learn it was through repetition - keep getting diagrams of the skeleton and naming the bones and muscles. Get your friends to quiz you. It sticks in your mind soon enough.
But hang in there. You'll be fine! :D

Kat92

HSC
Try googling things like: interactive skeletal system quiz or skeletal system to find some interesting online learning methods.

If possible you could get your hands on a Senior Science textbook, as it is covered quite extensively in there as well.

HSC
You teacher can't skip content because everyone knows it, or she assumes everyone knows it. She must go through every syllabus outcome. Saying that, skeletal and muscular systems are super easy. I did them in year 7 science. Go onto youtube and check out some vids. You should also rember some terms from last year science like clavicle, phalanges, Femur etc.

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, for some reason my school never covered it in junior science, the only thing we had related to it was an allocated assignment focusing on one of the body systems in which we had to 'teach the class', we were the first year that did it, and it sucked. I was given the excretory system, which is not helping at all. I did learn them though, I've just got to get the cardio and respiratory systems completely memorised now.

And yeah, we're going though it, but really fast and she's just giving us extended responses to write on the "students will learn to" sections of the syllabus, so it kinda sucks when I've spending my weekends and spare time going through everything a million times over just so I have a basic understanding of what took everyone else more than one term of intense teaching to learn in year nine, I'm hoping that once we finish this topic, everything will be new to everyone and THAT is when I can finally ace the subject in comparison to everyone else.

The reason why I couldn't get bio was because I wanted PDHPE so badly, I almost feel like should have just dropped it and picked up EE1 and the second unit of SOR instead when I had the chance -.-

Regrets :(

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
oh and I moved schools at the beginning of last year because my previous school kept mixing up my classes and putting me into learning support groups when I was getting top marks and consistant A's.

Not blaming anyone, but I wish that instead of telling us all last year that PDHPE had nothing to do with PASS because they were trying to sell us the subject, they should have told us that if we were planning on doing well in it, we should do some pre reading and studying while we actually had time in the holidays, unlike now where every subject seems to have some assignment or excursion coming up in the next two weeks :')

flyingbee

HSC
I'm having similar problems, most of my class did PASS last couple years too ! So I'm not the only one. We started off with a bit of the skeletal system, mostly naming the bones, and we've started the respiratory and cardiovascular? systems, we have a topic test Monday 5th March, though I have no idea what I'm supposed to know, the teacher hasn't even given us a written notification !!
Aren't we meant to have at least 2 weeks notification on paper before an assessment task or test?? I've already got 2 other notifications, though none for PDH, why?

wildchild666

HSC
I'm having similar problems, most of my class did PASS last couple years too ! So I'm not the only one. We started off with a bit of the skeletal system, mostly naming the bones, and we've started the respiratory and cardiovascular? systems, we have a topic test Monday 5th March, though I have no idea what I'm supposed to know, the teacher hasn't even given us a written notification !!
Aren't we meant to have at least 2 weeks notification on paper before an assessment task or test?? I've already got 2 other notifications, though none for PDH, why?
Are you sure that this topic test counts towards your report?

favvify

HSC
Uni Grad
The amount of extreme study I've done, god, it's not even funny. I'm ranked equal first right now, and now we've moved into better health for individuals. I'm finding that really boring because it's overlapping with CAFS and food tech, and I don't feel like putting in much work for it because I've gone all out in the topics before (... 1st in CAFS and FT, again). I'm looking forward to first aid the most, even though they've covered that in PASS too. Biomechanics just sent be to the brink of insanity and back!

Just for others experiencing the same, buy the Macquarie PDHPE revision guide. It saved me.

flyingbee

HSC
Hey, turns out that assessment task did not count toward my report... the teacher I had stuffed it all up (Stupid sub we had for 7weeks...) Though we got another assessment from our actual teacher and that went towards my report...

clockworkdjinn

HSC
The way I remembered it was to use mnemonics/textbook, and whenever I was REALLY bored, either in school or not, i would just look at a part of my body and name the bones, muscles and ligaments, point of insertion/origin, and all that jazz.

Also, I didn't do PASS, and I still seem to be up in the top three for the year, although we can't actually tell, as the teachers still haven't returned our first term assessment yet.

2xL

HSC
Hi OP, i am doing PE for my HSC without doing PASS; and guess what, it's perfectly easy to get high marks without undertaking PASS. Much of the content is revisited and you will not be disadvantaged.

han-han

HSC
there is a app for ipod touch/phone called anatomy lite its free :) also google skeletal system games or something. i have the same problem with the PASS :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)