Learning tutor for 9 year old boy or 12 year old girl? (1 Viewer)

5uckerberg

HSC
You provide some great insights which made me think so thanks for that

I agree with them. The issue is that going with his interests only goes so far and is limited in extent eg he does like watching YouTube science experiments and will do them spontaneously himself but that might only happen a few times per month and he wouldn’t sustain it with any consistency. He likes Minecraft too much so I’ve had to limit it as I think it’s too addictive and sucks up too much time - he would spend hours per day playing it if he could, apart from that he loves sports and is on a football team that trains or plays 4-5x per week already and plays basketball once a week

I’m tempted to ditch the tutoring completely and just let him do whatever he wants since he’s doing well at school but I also feel that he will just waste that time and never learn a decent work ethic whereas tutoring, albeit enforced, does at least provide some consistent training in working. that’s why I like the idea of a learning coach
In your words, I reckon you are looking for not any ordinary tutor but a tutor who can challenge your children in their field of interest and how their field of interests can be expanded to other areas but also play an older sibling and parental role at the same time when they find difficulties with the content they are learning.

Also, I think the tutor needed is not someone who just goes through the homework with them that would be silly but a tutor who can come up with ways to stimulate your 9-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter through engaging them with other content. Another smart idea will be to throw in Powerhouse museum or other etc you know expand their horizon so they can see more STEM related content.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I spent obscene amounts of hours playing Minecraft in those yrs. very useless back in the old selective format.
As said before, though, I think it has much more benefit to the new test style. Before, maybe the only thing of use was common sense, which you gain a bit of, and could be applied somewhat to maths. Now, the spatial ability and common sense actually has uses in the thinking skills section.

sports, keep making them play. it's rather enjoyable assuming you get playing time. much of the gaming need comes from boredom at that age.

tutoring ditch is a hard issue, it depends on whether u would make them still study. If you're wanting to do well, e.g. ruse type scores/scholarships, it is basically impossible to do without studying. As far as I am aware, without consistent effort, e.g. reading books, english comprehension and writing was literally impossible to do well on, while on the other hand maths could come relatively naturally, especially since a lot are intuition stylish iirc. I am confident that had I not done any tutoring "mock testing", I would have never engaged in any form of work. This is coming from an "extraordinarily lazy" kid who would literally copy answers for tutoring homework. The only thing that kept me somewhat striving for higher scores was the group environment providing some form of competition. if ur able to send ur kid to somewhere where he comes last the first couple times, I basically guarantee he would try harder.

"doing well at school" is a horrible metric if ur kid goes to a normal 200-300 ranked school. I don't remember learning anything ever in class.
Naplan and ICAS is perhaps a much better metric. ICAS u would need to be looking at distinctions and above, and Naplan would be top arrow and maybe some top bands.

As said before, I think the main problem at that age with learning is the boredom from school. Anything that is remotely challenging is more interesting than regular school, and playing Minecraft in multiplayer and losing is a much more engaging challenge.

Right now at age 9 I believe you could start looking into APSMO books if they're maths inclined. English inclined people normally naturally just read a lot of books, so I'm assuming they clearly aren't interested in reading. This problem is very tough and I struggled with comprehension at that time, but if they find interesting books, it's very natural to fully read them.
Though, do be aware, inviting kids who have been accustomed to solving everything easily, could make them at first disinterested in solving hard problems.

As for the learning approach, this is quite a tough topic. imo, if your kid is intelligent and never engages with olympiads/competitions and things of that sort, they will just become bored once again when it comes to highschool and maybe slip into old habits. Before y11,12, even in the very top selectives, work ethic is quite horrific. The only thing that drives that work ethic is the competition and a need for it that comes about, specifically in y12.

TLDR: went very ranty. Try your luck with APSMO books.
@idkkdi, I think you might fit the bill of what Beyblader is looking for.
You’ve just finished year 12, you have insight from your own experiences and you have given this quite a bit of consideration. I suspect you’re about the right age for a 9 yr old. I think kids are often a bit wary of the establishment (anyone they perceive to be their parent’s generation), whereas older teens are often (rightly or wrongly) seen as appropriate role models.

idkkdi

HSC
@idkkdi, I think you might fit the bill of what Beyblader is looking for.
You’ve just finished year 12, you have insight from your own experiences and you have given this quite a bit of consideration. I suspect you’re about the right age for a 9 yr old. I think kids are often a bit wary of the establishment (anyone they perceive to be their parent’s generation), whereas older teens are often (rightly or wrongly) seen as appropriate role models.
north shore's a bit too far haha.

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
wow - your summary is a perfect reflection of my thinking

- interesting to hear that Minecraft may have some benefits beyong the creative aspect of building stuff. I hadnt considered the spatial ability / thinking skills benefits
- i might actually let him play a little bit more now
- I've let him start a minecraft youtube gaming channel so he can learn some useful skills although hes not got very far with that yet
- he's started playing pool and that seems to be beneficial (I played a lot of pool when young)
- sports he plays extensively so i don;t think he can do any more there

- he goes to a top 40 ranked school (non-selective) so I agree his being top in his year is not a high standard and I try to impress that on him but I'm not sure if it sinks in at all. I'm hoping that in later years when scholarship students are brought in they will give him competition and motivate him

i want to ditch tutoring but I don't think it would be replaced with work, it would be replaced by social stuff/more sports which may not really be a bad thing but I'm intersted to hear that you say tutoring is important for the english/writing which are his weaker areas compared to maths
- part of me thinks theres no point in tutoring unless he is going to try to get into medicine which i suspect he probably won't want to but i'm not sure about that yet

- naplan he got the little black dot at the top arrow in every area this year (year 3) but I think the bar for that distinction is not particularly high (I couldn't find any figures for it online but I'm guess its top 5-10%?)
- ICAS he hasn't done

never heard of APSMO but will try it
- have done a few math olympiad booklets with him before and he likes them but only in short bursts and he wouldn't want to sit to do them for long periods or on a regular basis

he doesnt like reading and I force him to read under duress. I've had some success with getting him to read my old marvel comics which he does like but I'm not totally sure if that counts as proper reading and hes now temporarily motivated to read for an hour per night until xmas as a condition for him to get a nintendo switch for xmas. But the books he likes are always farty/naughty kid type books like captain underpants, funny kid series and david walliams or books of facts
I really want to get him to love reading more as I think that will unlock his potential - just havent been able to find anything that he loves to read - have tried all the most popular titles for his age range -I might use reading as a possible way for him to get out of tutoring to motivate him

outside of the school environment hes not very competitive so I don't think he would care if he was last in tutoring - he came around top 40th percentile on the last test at the tutoring college test and wasnt at all bothered

I spent obscene amounts of hours playing Minecraft in those yrs. very useless back in the old selective format.
As said before, though, I think it has much more benefit to the new test style. Before, maybe the only thing of use was common sense, which you gain a bit of, and could be applied somewhat to maths. Now, the spatial ability and common sense actually has uses in the thinking skills section.

sports, keep making them play. it's rather enjoyable assuming you get playing time. much of the gaming need comes from boredom at that age.

tutoring ditch is a hard issue, it depends on whether u would make them still study. If you're wanting to do well, e.g. ruse type scores/scholarships, it is basically impossible to do without studying. As far as I am aware, without consistent effort, e.g. reading books, english comprehension and writing was literally impossible to do well on, while on the other hand maths could come relatively naturally, especially since a lot are intuition stylish iirc. I am confident that had I not done any tutoring "mock testing", I would have never engaged in any form of work. This is coming from an "extraordinarily lazy" kid who would literally copy answers for tutoring homework. The only thing that kept me somewhat striving for higher scores was the group environment providing some form of competition. if ur able to send ur kid to somewhere where he comes last the first couple times, I basically guarantee he would try harder.

"doing well at school" is a horrible metric if ur kid goes to a normal 200-300 ranked school. I don't remember learning anything ever in class.
Naplan and ICAS is perhaps a much better metric. ICAS u would need to be looking at distinctions and above, and Naplan would be top arrow and maybe some top bands.

As said before, I think the main problem at that age with learning is the boredom from school. Anything that is remotely challenging is more interesting than regular school, and playing Minecraft in multiplayer and losing is a much more engaging challenge.

Right now at age 9 I believe you could start looking into APSMO books if they're maths inclined. English inclined people normally naturally just read a lot of books, so I'm assuming they clearly aren't interested in reading. This problem is very tough and I struggled with comprehension at that time, but if they find interesting books, it's very natural to fully read them.
Though, do be aware, inviting kids who have been accustomed to solving everything easily, could make them at first disinterested in solving hard problems.

As for the learning approach, this is quite a tough topic. imo, if your kid is intelligent and never engages with olympiads/competitions and things of that sort, they will just become bored once again when it comes to highschool and maybe slip into old habits. Before y11,12, even in the very top selectives, work ethic is quite horrific. The only thing that drives that work ethic is the competition and a need for it that comes about, specifically in y12.

TLDR: went very ranty. Try your luck with APSMO books.

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
he's had a period of being interested and quite good at chess (for a beginner) but we drifted away from it - might try again
but its not something hes ever going to be really enthused about much unless he has friends he want to beat I suspect (and his friends don't play chess to any good level)

I got some other suggestions. Since your child is 9 years old it is a good time to get him involved in learning and playing chess because from my personal experience playing chess develops pattern recognition and strategy and also owning up to your consequences during a game after several moves. Another thing why I would suggest chess at this age is the need to learn about problem-solving and being able to work out ways to perform tactics which is quite helpful in maths due to recognition of patterns.

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
In your words, I reckon you are looking for not any ordinary tutor but a tutor who can challenge your children in their field of interest and how their field of interests can be expanded to other areas but also play an older sibling and parental role at the same time when they find difficulties with the content they are learning.

Also, I think the tutor needed is not someone who just goes through the homework with them that would be silly but a tutor who can come up with ways to stimulate your 9-year-old son and 12-year-old daughter through engaging them with other content. Another smart idea will be to throw in Powerhouse museum or other etc you know expand their horizon so they can see more STEM related content.
yes I'm looking for a challenging tutor but not sure if they are available

I've come across the study youtube videos by Dr Justin Sung and started on his online icanstudy course which on the face of it seems to be absolutely brilliant for learning and is blowing my mind
- so I plan to learn the methods and teach my kids as soon as they are ready for it

has anyone else here done the icanstudy course?

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
sorry, unfortunately, i don't think i'm suitable. interestingly enough, i think @Eagle Mum 's son would be a good fit.
Being able to do things doesn’t always mean an individual can teach. To be able to teach effectively, one has to be able to see things from the student’s perspective. I’m not sure how good DS would be at this (he is also focused on HSC assessments ATM), whereas your post shows that you have maturely reflected on the relevant points which is an important quality in a tutor, as well as the fact that you’re at the ideal age & stage in life. My eldest daughter started tutoring at this stage (ie. a few weeks after HSC exams) & is a successful tutor, but no longer taking students as she is starting internship & already working full time in the AIMS scheme.

Edited to add: Actually, ATM it sounds like Beyblader’s son would benefit from someone who’s done APSMO, understands gaming optimisation strategies and can help write a decent essay and short story. I suspect both you & DS probably fit the bill. I don’t think DS currently can spare the time on a regular basis, but he could probably give it a go after his HSC exams if there’s a vacancy then (although hopefully Beyblader will already have someone who’s a good fit).

Last edited:

Beyblader

HSC
N/A
if your son or idkkdi want to give it a shot sometime let me know - could try just an ad hoc single session with no need for a regular commitment. Even just a one-off session that might spark interest in learning would be worthwhile to me. Also if it turns out to be useless thats ok too i wouldn't mind at least trying it as an experiment

Being able to do things doesn’t always mean an individual can teach. To be able to teach effectively, one has to be able to see things from the student’s perspective. I’m not sure how good DS would be at this (he is also focused on HSC assessments ATM), whereas your post shows that you have maturely reflected on the relevant points which is an important quality in a tutor, as well as the fact that you’re at the ideal age & stage in life. My eldest daughter started tutoring at this stage (ie. a few weeks after HSC exams) & is a successful tutor, but no longer taking students as she is starting internship & already working full time in the AIMS scheme.

Edited to add: Actually, ATM it sounds like Beyblader’s son would benefit from someone who’s done APSMO, understands gaming optimisation strategies and can help write a decent essay and short story. I suspect both you & DS probably fit the bill. I don’t think DS currently can spare the time on a regular basis, but he could probably give it a go after his HSC exams if there’s a vacancy then (although hopefully Beyblader will already have someone who’s a good fit).

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
wow - your summary is a perfect reflection of my thinking

- interesting to hear that Minecraft may have some benefits beyong the creative aspect of building stuff. I hadnt considered the spatial ability / thinking skills benefits
- i might actually let him play a little bit more now
- I've let him start a minecraft youtube gaming channel so he can learn some useful skills although hes not got very far with that yet
- he's started playing pool and that seems to be beneficial (I played a lot of pool when young)
- sports he plays extensively so i don;t think he can do any more there

- he goes to a top 40 ranked school (non-selective) so I agree his being top in his year is not a high standard and I try to impress that on him but I'm not sure if it sinks in at all. I'm hoping that in later years when scholarship students are brought in they will give him competition and motivate him

i want to ditch tutoring but I don't think it would be replaced with work, it would be replaced by social stuff/more sports which may not really be a bad thing but I'm intersted to hear that you say tutoring is important for the english/writing which are his weaker areas compared to maths
- part of me thinks theres no point in tutoring unless he is going to try to get into medicine which i suspect he probably won't want to but i'm not sure about that yet

- naplan he got the little black dot at the top arrow in every area this year (year 3) but I think the bar for that distinction is not particularly high (I couldn't find any figures for it online but I'm guess its top 5-10%?)
- ICAS he hasn't done

never heard of APSMO but will try it
- have done a few math olympiad booklets with him before and he likes them but only in short bursts and he wouldn't want to sit to do them for long periods or on a regular basis

he doesnt like reading and I force him to read under duress. I've had some success with getting him to read my old marvel comics which he does like but I'm not totally sure if that counts as proper reading and hes now temporarily motivated to read for an hour per night until xmas as a condition for him to get a nintendo switch for xmas. But the books he likes are always farty/naughty kid type books like captain underpants, funny kid series and david walliams or books of facts
I really want to get him to love reading more as I think that will unlock his potential - just havent been able to find anything that he loves to read - have tried all the most popular titles for his age range -I might use reading as a possible way for him to get out of tutoring to motivate him

outside of the school environment hes not very competitive so I don't think he would care if he was last in tutoring - he came around top 40th percentile on the last test at the tutoring college test and wasnt at all bothered
My son didn't care much for fiction books either and it didn't seem to harm him. He became proficient at reading by looking up facts on the internet. The few fiction books he read at that age included Captain Underpants, Geronimo Stilton and a popular humorous series by an Australian author whose name escapes me, but I don't think he read more than three books in any of these series. In Yr 6, the whole OC class studied 'Holes' which he found interesting enough to read the sequel himself, but that's about it, so it's not essential to be an avid fiction fan to be good at English.

Are the 'Olympiad booklets' you refer to the AMT enrichment program? If so, I do recommend them for developing problem solving skills for interested individuals. There are seven levels in the program and they provide good stepwise scaffolding.

if your son or idkkdi want to give it a shot sometime let me know - could try just an ad hoc single session with no need for a regular commitment. Even just a one-off session that might spark interest in learning would be worthwhile to me. Also if it turns out to be useless thats ok too i wouldn't mind at least trying it as an experiment
I pitched the idea of occasional tutoring to DS, but between Yr 12 demands and his extracurriculars, he doesn’t currently have the time. I hope you find someone else who’s a good fit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)