Leaving ur loved ones behind...? (1 Viewer)

chantellet

HSC
I'm planning to move away next year for uni, assuming i get in, and this creates the problem of a long distance relationship... I'm finding it hard to believe that I will be able to keep the relationship going along with uni/part time job/meeting new ppl/keeping in touch with old friends etc...

Just wondering if anyone else is in the same/similar situation as I am and how they are dealing with the problem..

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Long distance relationships are very hard. My advice is that you should break up on good terms and remain friends; who knows what might happen in the future. If it's meant to be then I'm sure your paths will cross later on. I don't see the point in remaining involved with someone that you don't see very often. Break up and enjoy the lifestyle uni has to offer.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Another person leaving Wollongong!

2muchwork

HSC
I'm in exactly the same position and couldnt imagine breaking up with my bf when i go away( if i do fingers crossed). We had a talk one night and he said he couldnt let me go away to uni if i was still with him because it's stupid. So yeah, that really upset me but we talked things out and are going to stay together, i should be home every weekend anyways so surely things can't be too bad. If it's meant to be its meant to be, and if not it will crash and burn i guess? :mad:

rhysgm

HSC
Long distance relationships are really hard to work. I mean you are going away to uni, so that's how many years you will be away? I've tried long distance before, not only was it hard but it was also stressful. One of the main problems will be that your head will be in the wrong place, and by that i mean all you will think about is going back home. Unfortunately this will mean you won't enjoy uni as much and pretty much just miss out on a whole lot of crap your new mates will be doing while you go home. Also, hate to burst your bubble, but most relationships of people our age don't last forever so you shouldnt even think of blowing off uni to stay. Just speaking from experience.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
chantellet said:
Was that question aimed at me? Well I'll answer it anyway

I wanna go to UTS and thats about 2 hours away from here. I know that may not seem very far but I don't plan to come back and visit very often so yeah...
why not? its only a couple of hours by train
visit on weekends, or tell him to come up to visit you

~Dreamer

HSC
ive left home to go to uni, and to be frankly honest, when times get tough i get really homesick. it will be really hard at first adjusting and trying to fit in getting to meet new people and on top of that keeping in contact with friends back home, but its a test of time and really exposes the depth of those friendships. as for relationships, i for one have terrible luck with love let alone long distance, but i know of people who have maitained long distance relationships, making it stronger.

django_

HSC
bah i dunno how u could do it...like my bf doesnt live far from me, and hes right near my school do i see him everyday...but we've been through heaps of shit this year, my folks dont like him and have tried their hardest to stop me seeing him...im moving out of home next year and in with him..i cant stand being 20mins away from him by car lol but yeh if u do make the move n plan to stay together, i really envy u :) cuz it seems ur education and ur bf are both very important to u!!! good luck n i hope it all works out!!

plus, the gong n sydney aint that far from each other, and u can always meet halfway n stuff hehe :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Lauren and Josh, the most stable couple in our year (i.e, the one that we had all planned their wedding, lol) broke up because of distance. Josh is here, and Loz went to S.A. for uni, and the distance was too much, even for them...so if the most stable, into-each-other couple you would ever find can break up over distance, it can happen to anyone.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The same thing may possibly happen to me, I've been with my girlfriend for a few years now and I want to go to ANU in Canberra.

So yeah, we'll decide what to do when I get my marks heh, and whether ill be going to a Sydney Uni or not :(.

Though, like Minai said the distance isnt a big deal from the gong to Sydney, I'll probably come up to Sydney every second week end and holidays from Canberra and thats a hefty 3 hours! :p

Last edited:

olay

HSC
chantellet, if you're both willing to travel the 2 hrs to maintain the relationship, then keep it. if not, it's probably not worth maintaining.

2muchwork

HSC
well for me its not the typical " relationships our age" as hes 27 at the end of this year and i'm 18. kind of changes things i guess..

chantellet

HSC
Yeah.. I'm still undecided of how I feel. I don't want to give it a try and have it end up in tears & a broken heart (probably for me).. But then I don't wanna not give it a try and always wonder whether it could've worked out.. argh.. relationships are way too complicated.. :confused:

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
it depends how long the distance is, but I'm really against long distance relationships, my ex and i were together for 2 years, but for for the 2nd year he lived in wagga and Im on the central coast, and we spent most of the second year not seeing eachother and breaking up and then getting back together and its crap..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)