Lectures (1 Viewer)

Kittenslayer

HSC
is it really important to attend lectures?
specifically in my situation; isys104, ech126 and bba111 but my main issue is the isys one, have a 5 hour break before it -.-

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
ISYS should be a fun unit. At MQ we use iLectures quite a bit (being renamed to Echo with the introduction of iLearn), so a lot of your lectures should be recorded online.

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey!

Well I would say 'yes', it is important. It's the place where you get the information for your course. It's the place where you take notes, from which you study off. And you wouldn't want to waste your money and not attend lectures.

But of course, some lectures are not favourable for us. It may be the time gap between classes or be it having to commute to the university during certain days. In saying this, Macquarie has 'ilectures' where you watch at your own convenience at home. So you may choose to watch these instead of going to the actual lecture. BUT just be aware that you must always keep up with the lectures you missed. You don't want to have to watch 10 lectures a day before your exam!

Just on a side note, tutorials seem 'more important' by some because your tutors can answer your questions and its a smaller class where they mark attendance, as opposed to 'lectures'. Nevertheless, its good to still attend lectures. For all you know, you may concentrate better in them as opposed to watching a vlog and therefore retain the information better! Plus I must mention that not ALL units have ilectures on offer, in which case you MUST attend your lectures if you want to do well.

Just my 2 cents, but I hope it helped somehow! :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Some are, some are not, it really depends on the unit. Don't just assume lectures will be placed online before skipping them, always check.

EDIT: Just quickly, i notice an above poster has mentioned 'watching' ilectures. 99% of the time you don't get a video, only an audio recording. I've personally never had a video, but i have heard that it does happen very rarely. Fair warning; ilecture seems like a really good idea at the time but when it actually comes to sitting down and listening to a three hour recording, it really blows...

Last edited:

rayy_bann

HSC
Sorry I wasn't too sure if 'ilectures' was audio or visual and I just assumed it was visual because they referred to it as 'vlogs'. But regardless, it still serves a similar purpose, to refer to it at home. And make sure you keep up with them.

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
Some are, some are not, it really depends on the unit. Don't just assume lectures will be placed online before skipping them, always check.

EDIT: Just quickly, i notice an above poster has mentioned 'watching' ilectures. 99% of the time you don't get a video, only an audio recording. I've personally never had a video, but i have heard that it does happen very rarely. Fair warning; ilecture seems like a really good idea at the time but when it actually comes to sitting down and listening to a three hour recording, it really blows...
So when you listened to the iLecture there was definitely no lecture slides available to see?

EdgarTruong

HSC
N/A
So when you listened to the iLecture there was definitely no lecture slides available to see?
there should be 2 downloadable files
one is the smaller audio/mp3 file (i.e. no lecture slides), and the other one contains both the audio and the lecture slides, basically a live recording of everything he/she does, whether it be switching to youtube or writing notes on a projector for u to see

MrBean1561

HSC
Uni Grad
one is the smaller audio/mp3 file (i.e. no lecture slides), and the other one contains both the audio and the lecture slides, basically a live recording of everything he/she does, whether it be switching to youtube or writing notes on a projector for u to see
Yea I know about the second option, as I've used iLecture once.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I have never, not once, had the second option as you describe it... Granted most of my lectures do not have lecture notes or slides, however when there have been slides, a copy of the slides themselves are placed online, not some sort of live recording of exactly how they were used... Perhaps it's an arts department thing.

rayy_bann

HSC
From what I hear, visual ilectures are available, but it just depends on if the lecturer wants to be videotaped? Thus it varies...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It's all dependent on subject and convener, this is not the standard, it is simply an option

EdgarTruong

HSC
N/A
I have never, not once, had the second option as you describe it... Granted most of my lectures do not have lecture notes or slides, however when there have been slides, a copy of the slides themselves are placed online, not some sort of live recording of exactly how they were used... Perhaps it's an arts department thing.
hmm might just be for my ISYS units then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)