legal assignment (1 Viewer)

marli.scott

HSC
hey guys

Just stating legal studies this year I have got my first assignment and I can't wrap my head around it, hoping someone can help

the assignment says to write an essay with the stimulus being "evaluate the effectiveness of law reform in young offenders" must include 2 cases 4 legislations and one media article (in 1200 words) I have found the Corey Davis case and am going to use that for my first case. Anyone got any tips or knowledge on the subject to help?

Infntie

HSC
Hi Marli,

I would suggest identifying pivotal cases that led to law reform and then using statistics to track the impact of said law reform.

Pivotal cases are always controversial (e.g Corey Davis case) because they involve grotesque details and/or unjust outcomes for the offender/victim. They generate a reaction in the community that then produces a grassroots movement to implement new laws to prevent a similar event happening again. An area that comes to mind is bail applications. Judges have to frequently assess the appropriateness of releasing accused people into the community and when they get it wrong (e.g Lindt Cafe Siege), questions about the bail process are raised.

Once you identify these pivotal cases, I'd suggest tracking the statistics of the crime/event they intended to prevent. One way is to look at legal reports or publications by authorities that track these statistics. It is also likely an academic has written on the topic you have researched. Google is your friend here. If statistics have gone down, the law reform is working!

Based on this, you are then able to evaluate the effectiveness of the law reform.

Hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)