• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Legal Officer (1 Viewer)

aaazov

HSC
I was wondering if anybody knew anything about becoming a legal officer (lawyer in the defense force). I have looked it all up on the defense jobs website, but i thought somebody might have some first hand experience

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
A friend of mine is a legal officer in the navy, if I see him in the next few days I'll ask him how he's going. It's a pretty amazing deal though, HECS and textbooks paid for, and ~$30,000 per year while you study.

aaazov

HSC
yeah it looks really awesome.
That would be great if you could ask him
thanks

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Hi,

My dad's currently in recruitment and I'm in contact with the commander of the legal division down in Canberra. If you need any in depth information I'm sure I can get it for you.

Joining in the Legal Officer PQ (professional qualification) is done as you would for any other officer position - see the defencejobs website. The only additional requirement is that you have a law degree/be eligible for admission to practice before they'd consider you.

If you want to get the Navy to pay your HECS and textbooks etc, you will have to go through the sponsored undergraduate scheme (again, info on the defencejobs website). If you join only after completing your law degree, they wont pay off your debt (although you still get a boatload of benefits).

Remember however that the government never gives anything away for free, so the Navy will put you under a Return of Service Obligation that requires you to stay in the Navy from between 3-5 years, depending on how much of your debt they end up picking up. Speaking as someone who changed their mind as to what they want to do about 5 times in the last 6 months of their degree, this is a massive factor worth considering. Make sure it's what you want to do.

Also remember that the ADF can be erratic as to when and where you get posted. You do get preferences, but it can still be annoying - especially if you're trying to settle down.

As to the kind of work you'd be doing, as a newly recruited LEGALO they'd put you on track to earning a masters in defence law (I forget the exact title). It's completed over the course of about 6 years, in which time you are exposed to a great number of real world and defence-specific legal issues. Certainly a lot of fun! I'd recommend speaking to a recruiter, although when it comes to specific PQs such as this they can only offer a limited overview. They could possibly refer you to a current LEGALO though if you asked nicely :)

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
SurferNerd said:
Is it like "A Few Good Men"?
I would tell you the truth, but I fear that you would not be able to handle it.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
I would tell you the truth, but I fear that you would not be able to handle it.
We live in a world that has laws, and those laws have to be upheld by lawyers with a GDLP. Whose gonna do it? Me? The OP? You have a greater responsibility than I could possibly fathom. I weep for law students, and I curse the Navy. I have that luxury. I have the luxury of not knowing what you know. That being a legal officer, while tragic, probably saved lives. And your existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to me, saves lives. I don't want the truth because deep down in places I don't talk about at parties, I want you on that case, I need you on that case. You use words like precedent, accession, equity. You use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. I use them as a punchline. You have neither the time nor the inclination to explain yourself to a man who rises and sleeps under the jurisdiction of the very justice you provide, and then questions the manner in which you provide it. You would rather I just said thank you, and went on my way. Otherwise, you suggest I pick up a casebook, and stand behind the bar. Either way, you don't give a damn what I think I'm entitled to.

*Is being a Legal Officer like "A Few Good Men"?

You're goddamned right it is!

*I suggest the thread be closed and we move to an immediate article 33a session. The witness has rights.

Last edited:

04er

HSC
hfis said:
Wrongs Act 1958 (Vic) s 48(3)
(b) risks that are not insignificant are all risks other than insignificant risks and include, but are not limited to, significant risks.
lol whoever drafted that must've been drunk

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to do a clerkship to see what it's like and whether a potential candidate might enjoy a career as a legal officer and life in the ADF in general?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
To my knowledge clerkships aren't offered, but if you get in well enough with a recruiter you could perhaps organize some 'work experience' which would be unpaid but show you what it's like

one caveat however, i am drunk so do not give regard to the errores inherent to this message

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
hfis said:
To my knowledge clerkships aren't offered, but if you get in well enough with a recruiter you could perhaps organize some 'work experience' which would be unpaid but show you what it's like
Yes I figured clerkships aren't offered when it comes to this kind of work, there are probably national security issues involved in that. I think the work that legal officers do in the ADF can be very engaging, I imagine that the heaviest day at work there pales in comparison to the heaviest day you'd ever get at a commercial law firm, and I mean that in a good way in terms of the kind of things you'd handle.

The only thing that concerns me is what you mentioned above about postings. I'm not really keen in being moved around, not at this stage of my life anyway. I have an old friend who's been in the army for years now, a few years ago they posted him up in NT for three years. I wouldn't like that very much..... that's probably the main reason why I have never taken that step to contact a recruiter, even if just to get basic info.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)