Legal Studies MEDIA LIBRARY! (1 Viewer)

hschelper01

HSC
Hello everyone! Finding legal media articles can be a real pain - so here's, an enormous bank of media articles to save you the TIME! Crime and Human Rights feature below, with the media-applicable syllabus dot points featured with media following. Add to this thread in order to keep the articles up to date! If you come across an interesting media article, comment it below or PM me ✌

Why use media articles?

In a great essay in Legal Studies, you would include cases, legislation, media and even international documents (L-C-M-ID). The cases support the legislation and international documents in action. So, why media? The media articles express an opinion about the effectiveness of the law on many occasions. Media articles are written by people viewing the legal system and its recent happenings. Using articles both strengthens your understanding of the law in practice but also strengthens your argument in an essay.

Crime:

The Criminal Investigation Process:

Police Powers:
Here is a fact sheet provided by LegalAid.com that explains Police Powers in a basic sense.
This article talks about how recent changes to Police Powers are ineffective for police and citizens (Opinion piece).
Mike Baird fails to boost police powers in light of terrorism. This article proposes laws which have not been successful.
Comparing NSW Police Powers to South Australia’s can prove very interesting.

Reporting Crime:
Modern Case: George Pell. This highlights the importance of reporting crime even if you are not a perpetrator or victim.
The alarming rejection of genuine crime reports.
A report about crime rates in NSW, "Given that some offences have low reporting rates, it is possible that changes in recorded crime rates over time for these offences may be reflecting changes in reporting rates."

Bail or Remand:
New bail laws in force. The article is here.
The implications of remand for a particular person are described here.
Bail and Illegal Firearms laws, in the wake of the Lindt Café Siege.

Rights of Suspects, detention or interrogation:
Implications regarding the right to silence.
Now, police give a warning that using the right to silence may harm your defence.

Criminal Trial Process:

The Adversary System:
Pointing out the flaws in our system, comparing to the European model.

Pleas, charge negotiation:
Judges dismayed by the extent of charge negotiations.

Use of Evidence, Including Witnesses:
Farah Jama was wrongfully accused and convicted of a sexual assault that he did not commit. Despite an alibi, no CCTV footage showing the man in the location of the alleged crime, he was convicted on the basis of DNA contamination:

The role of juries:
Are juries a waste of time?
Playing on Juror’s prejudices.
Judge only Case example: Simon Gittany.

Sentencing and Punishment:

Aggravating and Mitigating circumstances:
Kiesha Abraham’s mother experienced similar abuse as a child. This is accepted as a mitigating factor.

The role of the victim in sentencing:
Families can deliver impact statements to be considered by the judge in sentencing.

Circle Sentencing:
A one-stop article for Circle Sentencing, including success stories.
2008, a little dated – regarding the effectiveness of Circle Sentencing.

Post Sentencing Considerations:
-Sexual Offenders Registration:
Proposed laws for Sexual Offenders Registration.
-Deportation:
A recent case.
Stateless man: Robert Jovicic.

Young Offenders:

Age of Criminal Responsibility:
You can use this site to find out the age of criminal responsibility around the world.
Did you know that the UN accepts that any age of criminal responsibility below 12 is inappropriate?

The rights of children when questioned or arrested:
A break down provided by Legal Aid.
The Australian Human Rights Commission and their findings on this.

Children’s Court:
The Royal Commission's findings on improving the privacy of the Children’s Court.

Alternatives to Court:
An example of a Youth Justice Conference at work.

Commentary on the legal system in dealing with young offenders, in a general sense:
The Youth Justice System is a slippery slope of failure. This is a RECENT development.

International Crime
The war in Gaza being taken to the ICC (opinion piece).

hschelper01

HSC
Human Rights:

Abolition of Slavery:

Focuses largely on Britain.
Focuses largely on America, this is a history of Abolition.
This is your one-stop shop for all things modern day slavery and human trafficking.

Trade Unionism and Labour Rights:
This is a modern take on this.
Here is the website to the International Trade Union Confederation.

Universal Suffrage:
Film: Suffragette.
A brief history of Suffrage.
Specifically, this is a women’s suffrage history.
Where is suffrage still limited for women?

Universal Education:
Julia Gillard has entered the international scene, as an education ambassador. This is an example of how Australia contributes to human rights.
Your modern case study for this is of course, Malala Yousafzai.

Self Determination:
Comment on I Have a Dream, by an Aboriginal Activist.

Environmental Rights:
The Paris Climate Conference and the outcomes.
Fiji becomes the first country to ratify the Paris Climate Conference outcome.

Promoting and Enforcing Human Rights:

State Sovereignty:
The nation state is the key to peace and security.
ISIS and State Sovereignty - how do they work?

The role of the UN:
The UN watching Australia’s human rights breaches.

The Constitution and Human Rights:
Court finds that offshore detention is legal. Is the Constitution in fact not protecting human rights?

Courts and Tribunals:
See above.

hschelper01

HSC
I received a Band 6 in Legal Studies last year and this 'media library' (^^^) I created over the course of the year really helped me gather the information and evidence I needed to provide a valid argument/s.

Hope it helps! PM me if you need anything else :cool:

studiesofboard

HSC
Hi, you did your HSC legal studies exam what is the best way to remember a crime essay since there is like 5 or so possible crime questions they could ask you for part b of the exam. Also, what is the best way to structure notes for the roles in this section of the human rights syllabus.

1589981730509.png

hschelper01

HSC
Hi, you did your HSC legal studies exam what is the best way to remember a crime essay since there is like 5 or so possible crime questions they could ask you for part b of the exam. Also, what is the best way to structure notes for the roles in this section of the human rights syllabus.

View attachment 28335
I just had 10 'generic' paragraphs based around all of the topics and I would mix and match them in the exam - but you need to practice this while you study otherwise you'll find it hard.

The crime essay in the HSC was whack but that method really helped me get the marks I got for the essay itself.

In regard to structuring notes for HR, I've attached what I did...

Attachments

studiesofboard

HSC
I just had 10 'generic' paragraphs based around all of the topics and I would mix and match them in the exam - but you need to practice this while you study otherwise you'll find it hard.

The crime essay in the HSC was whack but that method really helped me get the marks I got for the essay itself.

In regard to structuring notes for HR, I've attached what I did...
You're a legend thanks :)

alexrussell

HSC
I received a Band 6 in Legal Studies last year and this 'media library' (^^^) I created over the course of the year really helped me gather the information and evidence I needed to provide a valid argument/s.

Hope it helps! PM me if you need anything else :cool:
first time using this site so idk if the formatting for the quote is right, but this generic paragraph idea for essays, I'm assuming you used it for crime and both your options?

if so, which options did you do and how did you go about choosing the right generic paragraphs.

(I'm doing world order and family, and so far I've been trying to make one solid essay for each, but I've hit a snag with crime, as it is so broad)

studiesofboard

HSC
first time using this site so idk if the formatting for the quote is right, but this generic paragraph idea for essays, I'm assuming you used it for crime and both your options?

if so, which options did you do and how did you go about choosing the right generic paragraphs.

(I'm doing world order and family, and so far I've been trying to make one solid essay for each, but I've hit a snag with crime, as it is so broad)
I am also doing world order and family law. For all essays (including crime) the best method is making a tee table (as shown below). Also, to make an essay generic you do both legal and non-legal methods. :)

Example ExplainLink to effectiveness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)