Legal Theory?!! (1 Viewer)

jb2007

HSC
Does anyone despise this subject as much as I do? I think it's mainly due to the teacher and her teaching methods!!I'm currently trying to "study" for my legal theory exam coming up. How is the best way to approach an exam like this? The articles we've been given to read use so much inapropriate jargon that they become impossible to extract any meaning/idea's from!

I have failed to keep up with the readings for this subject and now I don't think I'll be able to effectively get through them all! I'm just really wanting to pass this subject!

Any tips?

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
The best bit about legal theory is that if you out-craptalk the readings in your essay answers, you have a guaranteed D.

They say it's supposed to help your critical/argumentative skills, but really it's just an exercise in mental masturbation for PhDs who are unemployable elsewhere.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
The best bit about legal theory is that if you out-craptalk the readings in your essay answers, you have a guaranteed D.

They say it's supposed to help your critical/argumentative skills, but really it's just an exercise in mental masturbation for PhDs who are unemployable elsewhere.
Hahaha so true. I envisage a bunch of old men, sitting around a round table sipping scotch, debating the nature of law. It makes them feel smart, it gives them a sense of existance, however at the end of their life, what have they really accomplished? They've raised a bunch of new questions and ended up going round in circles once again, further complicating an already complicated area of thought whilst arousing further hatred from the current generation of law students.

Legal Theory is about as useful as pissing in the wind.

subdued123

HSC
but, pissing in the wind is really useful if you've been busting. I guess in those circumstances, pissing in any direction would be useful.

jb2007

HSC
haha!

I live up in qld. So at uni up there.

I've given up on this subject. All the fucking articles are just critical analysis of films that we've watched; Legal Blonde, The Paperchase, Judgement @ nuremberg etc.

Do other uni's do this? There's like one article on the history of Natural Law and positivism. I've read up on natural law but haven't gotten around to positivism.

What is it in a nutshell?

I'm scared my lecturer will eat me, so fucking shit as, the fat lesbian bitch!

That's my rant!

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
hey i'm in qld as well but not the same uni you go to seeing that my lecturer was not a fat lesbian bitch. my tip would be: in your exam use words like 'iniquitous', 'consequentialism', 'the pitfall of antiquarianism', 'herculean judge', 'natural rights is nonsense upon stilts', 'the open texture of language', and finally 'social contract theory was not worth the paper it was not written on'... hmm yes that's about as much i remember from legal theory, completely pointless course ever - your aim is to use as many mind-wanking phrases you can come up with.

Last edited:

Hercules6

HSC
the university the person is referring to is griffith university - the lecturer they are referring to is Dr Bronwyn Statham

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I used every excuse I could to refer to Posner in legal theory. Even though we never studied him per se, I think my lecturers appreciated me trying to bring up whack economics based interpretations of the law.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
at UNSW, our 'Law and Social Theory' course is a 12-week whirlwind tour of Mssrs Marx, Durkheim and Foucault, Globalisation and Feminism. Suffice to say it barely scratched the surface. And all the Arts/Law students beat me to a Commerce/Law pulp. :(

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
It sounds like every flavour of left wing humanity and discredited far left philosopher rolled into one delicious course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)