Legal vs Physics... (1 Viewer)

zhertec

HSC
I'm currently on 13 units and I would like to drop down to 11, but at the moment I'm in a dilemma or either dropping Physics or Legal.

Pros for legal:
- It's a moderately enjoyable subject with a good teacher.
- I have a moderate amount of knowledge in terms of the concepts etc.

Cons:
- I feel that most of the subject seems rote learn-ish (can anyone confirm that it isn't?)
- Did bad for first assessment...
- a lot of memorisation in terms of Laws, cases and media articles.
- Lots of essays....will have to work more on structure it seems...

Pros for physics:
- Good teacher, that teaches by the syllabus.
- seems more enjoyable now that we are learning about motors/generators and later ideas to implementation then quarks. (Space was ok, not as bad as y11...)
- Seems conceptually based i.e. lesser amount of rote learning.
- Lesser amount of content (I think at least?).
- Did ok for first assessment.

Cons:
- I believe I have less than average knowledge on the subject, and if I choose this I will have to completely shift my focus more towards rebuilding my foundation.
- Due to the previous point, somewhat scared of the calculation questions.

I want to decide now to avoid falling behind too far in terms of content and place effort on a subject knowing that it will be counted.

Last edited:

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I did legal and yes it's a lot of memorisation and by the time you do your final exams your writing 3 essays. If you enjoy physics more I say do that instead, at the end of the day you'll still be memorising things for both subjects whether you like it or not.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Keep physics

Like you mentioned it's low in content, but it takes longer to understand that content and apply it to different scenarios

I hear that legal has more content than eco and bio o_O

+ If you want to get that 99+ ATAR physics will be of great help to you if you cant get a high band 5 - band 6

astroman

HSC
as some above mentioned year 11 physics is boring af but IMO the one year wait is worth it for the year 12 course

FC ATAR

HSC
I do legal and it's sick! You just have to memorise treaties, laws and other legal terms! It's not hard, as long as you know your content! Plus it's easy to find relevant cases for every subject e.g for human rights the Bali nine drug smugglers!

PM me if you want any more clarification!

teaaxe

HSC
From your post it sounds like you don't fancy heavy writing. If that's the case I think you should drop legal instead of physics. I think your interest in physics would motivate you to study more of the subject than to study a subject that you're not interested in. From my knowledge, (I don't take legal but my brother did) the work load is about the same so just pick whichever you like more. I think studying physics would help you in maths as well and vice versa :)

clown50nh

HSC
Do what you are best in and interested in. I myself find legal studies quite interesting but yeah, there is a lot of essay writing. I've heard legal studies is great in year 12 when you study crime. Meanwhile physics is also interesting but also can be hard. I don't do it myself but I was told there is not as much content and you get more time to revise over content. Perhaps look at the previous HSC exams and think what one you would go better in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)