• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Legalise Weapons in Australia? So we can be like Americans? (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Korn said:
U are so illinformed, i pity u, how bout u read the entire thread, with all the links and u will realise how stupid ur comment just was
Further more, i am not a hunter, nor do i necessarily support hunting, i support the sport of target shooting

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
In future can you please make yourself more clear. I find it rather difficult to understand the actual meaning of your posts in the sea of the profanity which simply demonstrates a clear, limited capacity to articulate thoughts properly.

hirdly How would u like it if some bigot told u you shouldnt and couldnt play the sport or hobby that u wished to participate in
A very poor chosen analogy/example there, the equivalent of saying "oMgZ h0\/\/ wud U GuYzZ liek i7 if someone prevented you from going on your much loved murderous rampages?!?!?!?one?one?one@!!" No the example is not extreme because anyone with a gun can go on such a rampage. Moreover, other real hobbies such as football, cricket, basketball etc do not give their participants anywhere near as much of a chance to go on random killing sprees. Have you ever heard of a basketballer killing stacks of random people with his/her basketball? I haven't but I have heard of people shooting and killing random people with their guns.:rolleyes:

You seem to suggest that simply because many gun owners are over 18 that they are mature enough to not shoot random people. Well sorry to break it to you but we don't live in fairy land. In terms of killing sprees there are simply no age barriers - people of all ages can become psychos. Are you so senseless so as to suggest that only a certain age group can have mental issues?

Last edited:

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I do not think that every Australian has the right to a handgun. If you are a member of a shooting society, then that's fine... that's a different thing. I know that you can get handguns on the black market, and outlawing hand guns may not stop gun crimes, but what possibly could be the benefit of the average joe blo having a gun in his posession?People may disagree with me on this, and that's fine. I respect your opinions, however I am just stating wht I feel. It is not necessary, nor wise to give everybody the right to bear arms, because I think that not everybody in society is smart enough to use one responsibly. (is it possible to use a gun responsibly?????) anyay. And since we don't have any way of determining who is smart and who is some homicidal or suicidal idiot, then nobody should have guns.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Benny1103 said:
In future can you please make yourself more clear. I find it rather difficult to understand the actual meaning of your posts in the sea of the profanity which simply demonstrates a clear, limited capacity to articulate thoughts properly.

A very poor chosen analogy/example there, the equivalent of saying "oMgZ h0\/\/ wud U GuYzZ liek i7 if someone prevented you from going on your much loved murderous rampages?!?!?!?one?one?one@!!" No the example is not extreme because anyone with a gun can go on such a rampage. Moreover, other real hobbies such as football, cricket, basketball etc do not give their participants anywhere near as much of a chance to go on random killing sprees. Have you ever heard of a basketballer killing stacks of random people with his/her basketball? I haven't but I have heard of people shooting and killing random people with their guns.:rolleyes:

You seem to suggest that simply because many gun owners are over 18 that they are mature enough to not shoot random people. Well sorry to break it to you but we don't live in fairy land. In terms of killing sprees there are simply no age barriers - people of all ages can become psychos. Are you so senseless so as to suggest that only a certain age group can have mental issues?
No but ppl with mental issues cant own firearms legally, this may have been a problem before 1996, but the laws have been changed to avoid this ever happening again.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
and another thing.... very few people wait until they're 18 to drink. It's easy to buy drinks when you are under age. Who says that the problem would be any different in relation to handguns? with more guns in society, I'm sure younger people could get their hands on one somehow.

this is just what i think.......... DON'T RUN THE RISK

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
llamalope said:
I do not think that every Australian has the right to a handgun. If you are a member of a shooting society, then that's fine... that's a different thing. I know that you can get handguns on the black market, and outlawing hand guns may not stop gun crimes, but what possibly could be the benefit of the average joe blo having a gun in his posession?People may disagree with me on this, and that's fine. I respect your opinions, however I am just stating wht I feel. It is not necessary, nor wise to give everybody the right to bear arms, because I think that not everybody in society is smart enough to use one responsibly. (is it possible to use a gun responsibly?????) anyay. And since we don't have any way of determining who is smart and who is some homicidal or suicidal idiot, then nobody should have guns.
They are called pschological testing and profiling, the army and police force already use these procedures.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
llamalope said:
and another thing.... very few people wait until they're 18 to drink. It's easy to buy drinks when you are under age. Who says that the problem would be any different in relation to handguns? with more guns in society, I'm sure younger people could get their hands on one somehow.

this is just what i think.......... DON'T RUN THE RISK
You can only buy a gun if ur a registered licence holder, and from a registered licened firearm dealership. And the purchasors details are recorded and if that gun isnt registered by that person, then they will be prosecuted.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
llamalope said:
are you saying they would psychologically test every person in australia, just to send them a note in the mail saying "yes, you can own a handgun"
No, if u apply for a gun licence it should be part of the testing procedure in all classes of gun licences.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Finally, you have taken my advice. Anyway may I ask, are their regular tests? If there are, how often are they? I ask this because people can change over time.

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
You know, I would have taken your word for it if you just said so. I just wanted to point that out for any questions that I may ask you in future. As with any high risk device, the more of them which are permitted or introduced, the more risks that there are out there. Now, you are entitled to your opinion but at this point in time I simply cannot see why guns for the general public(ie. you can register for a license so it is accessible to the general public) should be allowed in our civilised society. I am not going to discuss this further.

BTW large blocks of text do no clarify your argument so maybe you should just give the link, and quote the relevant part.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Well obviously, u see that ur opinion is unjust, and that is why u choose to go.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Vangineer said:
Hi,

Just wondering, who want to legalise weapons in australia?
Just for self defense just incase some multicultural civil war breaks out in australia...I.e. azn populations rise without end and stupid country rednecks want to kill em all. Azns fight back, and australia becomes america where everyone has the right to carry M60s.
For this specific "personal protection" reason, gun ownership is currently not availible, and i belivie shouldnt be changed

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Argonaut said:
Two words: Martin Bryant.
Read full post and all links, and u will see that we have already covered Martin Bryant and the changes of the law since then, hav u got anything original to say?

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Well obviously, u see that ur opinion is unjust, and that is why u choose to go.
No, actually my opinion is not unjust. Answer this for me. If my hobby was using a rocket launcher to blow up people and I could afford one, should I be allowed to purchase one? If you say no, then my opinion is clearly not unjust. If you say yes, then you are endorsing the use of dangerous weapons which can easily be used to kill many people in a matter of seconds. It is the same as having a hobby which involves and gun and the shooting of anything. By supporting the use of guns by the general public you are in fact endorsing the introduction of an extra and very real danger to society.

The reason why I chose not to continue to argue with you is because when I argue with people who lack in common sense I will eventually descend to their level and they will beat me with experience.

Last edited:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Benny1103 said:
No, actually my opinion is not unjust. Answer this for me. If my hobby was using a rocket launcher to blow up people and I could afford one, should I be allowed to purchase one? If you say no, then my opinion is clearly not unjust. If you say yes, then you are endorsing the use of dangerous weapons which can easily be used to kill many people in a matter of seconds. It is the same as having a hobby which involves and gun and the shooting of anything. By supporting the use of guns by the general public you are in fact endorsing the introduction of an extra and very real danger to society.
Well, there is a difference between banning military weapons for the general public and the banning of all weapons

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Well, there is a difference between banning military weapons for the general public and the banning of all weapons
What difference are you referring to? Be more specific. Militiary weapons and guns have very little difference in the context of this issue. Each, if introduced into 'normal' society, acts as an additional risk towards the lives of people. BTW you still have not answered my question.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Benny1103 said:
What difference are you referring to? Be more specific. Militiary weapons and guns have very little difference in the context of this issue. Each, if introduced into 'normal' society, acts as an additional risk towards the lives of people. BTW you still have not answered my question.
Well military guns have one function to kill, whereas .22 calibre sports pistols are primarily designed and used in the sport of target shooting

Benny1103

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Well military guns have one function to kill, whereas .22 calibre sports pistols are primarily designed and used in the sport of target shooting
The primary use of something depends on the person or group, you should be more clear in saying so. For instance the army's primary use of rocket launchers may well be to destroy enemies. However, if someone's hobby is to blow up people then the primary use of the rocket launcher(for that person) may well be to blow up people. So you see, military weapons and guns in general are pretty much in the same category in the context of this issue. Consequently, my comparison of the two are perfectly valid. If you want to argue further with me then answer my original question(the yes or no question). Otherwise, you are clearly in the wrong and I would see no further reason to continue this discussion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)