Length of processing time for a credit transfer (1 Viewer)

KeepCalm

HSC
Hi all,

I was just wondering how long it generally takes to process units from a external transfer? It's been approximately 2 weeks and I'm getting a bit worried that I am not going to get credits before timetables are released. I'm still tossing up about whether to transfer or not, and knowing how many credits are approved is the decider. Does anyone know how long it usually takes? I'm attempting to get credit from the business faculty. Otherwise, does anyone know whether UTS Business credit points are recognised at USYD?

Thank you!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,

I was just wondering how long it generally takes to process units from a external transfer? It's been approximately 2 weeks and I'm getting a bit worried that I am not going to get credits before timetables are released. I'm still tossing up about whether to transfer or not, and knowing how many credits are approved is the decider. Does anyone know how long it usually takes? I'm attempting to get credit from the business faculty. Otherwise, does anyone know whether UTS Business credit points are recognised at USYD?

Thank you!
This is a guide to what credits you can expect:http://sydney.edu.au/arts/current_students/credit_checker.shtml

UTS Business
21129 Managing People and Organisations
22107 Accounting for Business Decisions A
22207 Accounting for Business Decisions B
26134 Business Statistics
24108 Marketing Foundations
25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance
23115 Economics for Business
26100 Integrating Business Perspectives

USYD Commerce
BUSS1001 Understanding Business
BUSS1030 Accounting, Business and Society
ACCT1006 Accounting and Financial Management
ECMT1010 Business & Economic Statistics A
MKTG1001 Marketing Principles
FINC2011 Corporate Finance I
BUSS1040 Economics for Business Decision Making
BUSS1002 The Business Environment

--> The underlined ones are POSSIBLE equivalents (but you're less likely to get credit for them)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
It's probably at least 2 weeks - so wait for 1 more week and see.

Also, from memory, don't you have to do credit transfer in-person at USYD or is it simply handing an application form + transcripts + subject outlines?

Note that your UTS subjects WILL NOT BE AUTOMATICALLY processed for possible credits --> you will need to go to USYD to do it.

KeepCalm

HSC
Hi RivalryofTroll - Thanks for replying :)

I've seen that website before but I didn't want to give myself too much hope as that checker is on the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Website - so I wasn't sure if it was a true indication of the actual credit points to be given from the business faculty. Also it doesn't give an indication about the law subjects as well.

Fingers crossed though haha :) I just wanted to see how long it really takes...

At Usyd they now have online enrolment and you can also apply for credits online. So i just uploaded my transcript and subject outlines on the sydney student portal.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi RivalryofTroll - Thanks for replying :)

I've seen that website before but I didn't want to give myself too much hope as that checker is on the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Website - so I wasn't sure if it was a true indication of the actual credit points to be given from the business faculty. Also it doesn't give an indication about the law subjects as well.

Fingers crossed though haha :) I just wanted to see how long it really takes...

At Usyd they now have online enrolment and you can also apply for credits online. So i just uploaded my transcript and subject outlines on the sydney student portal.
I think it's quite reliable - obviously, credits may change or expire but I think you can expect nearly all of your Business subjects to be recognised at the very least (if not all).

For law subjects, USYD has its own ''Foundations of Law'' (so there's a good chance you get that recognised) and USYD's ''Ethics'' course is called ''LAWS2013 The Legal Profession'' (so that's a possibility too).

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Ive credit transfered before and it wasnt too long.

That said I think there is online problems with the system. Ive applied for an advanced unit that required department permission. The email Ill hear back in 2 weeks. After 2 and a half weeks I emailed the science faculty (what the email had told me to email if i hadnt heard back in 2 weeks) and was told theres been a few glitches with my uni and to withdraw and reapply. Another 2 weeks later and I sitll havent heard back.

jaydizzlegear

HSC
Hey KeepCalm, what is the status on your credit transfer on sydney student? mine says not started but i only submitted it on friday

KeepCalm

HSC
I think it's quite reliable - obviously, credits may change or expire but I think you can expect nearly all of your Business subjects to be recognised at the very least (if not all).

For law subjects, USYD has its own ''Foundations of Law'' (so there's a good chance you get that recognised) and USYD's ''Ethics'' course is called ''LAWS2013 The Legal Profession'' (so that's a possibility too).
Yeah I applied for the credit transfer for foundations & ethics to go to those subjects... I guess I won't know 100% until it's all confirmed.

I'll post what credits get approved here so those who are also applying from UTS know what's approved and what isn't.

Appreciate the help :)

Ive credit transfered before and it wasnt too long.

That said I think there is online problems with the system. Ive applied for an advanced unit that required department permission. The email Ill hear back in 2 weeks. After 2 and a half weeks I emailed the science faculty (what the email had told me to email if i hadnt heard back in 2 weeks) and was told theres been a few glitches with my uni and to withdraw and reapply. Another 2 weeks later and I sitll havent heard back.

Hmmm, I might give them a call tomorrow and see what’s happening just in case. I’m a bit impatient when it comes to admin stuff for uni haha :) I also applied for special permission for contracts and that didn’t take too long to process. Thanks for the heads up :)

Hey KeepCalm, what is the status on your credit transfer on sydney student? mine says not started but i only submitted it on friday
Hey Jaydizzlegear, the status is currently: ‘In progress’ and I applied on the 27/01/15.. .So it’s been exactly 2 weeks. It did take a little while for it to change from not started to in progress - also consider that they probably don’t work on the weekends. Have you also applied for special permission for contracts? You can do that if your foundations of law points aren’t approved so that you can do two law subjects in your first semester of uni :)

jaydizzlegear

HSC
KeepCalm, I actually went to UOW so the way my subjects were done was a bit weird, but I have only done law subjects in my first year.

I applied for credit for foundations of law, hopefully equivalent to foundations of law a at UOW
Contracts, equivalent to Law of Contract A and Law of Contract B at UOW
Criminal Laws, equivalent to Criminal Law and Process A and Criminal Law and Process B at UOW
Legal Research I and II, equivalent to Legal Research and Writing at UOW
The Legal Profession, equivalent to Lawyers and Australian Society at UOW

As you can see, I'm using the content from two subjects at UOW to get credit for one subject at sydney, eg contracts and criminal laws
I'm not sure what the rules are with that, but I;ve definitely done the content of USYD Contracts and Criminal Laws, so I hope I don't have to do that shit again.

And since I haven't done any commerce, I will be at USYD for five years instead of four due to progression rules.

I also wonder what will happen if i get credit for foundations and contracts, will I only do commerce subjects in first semester? maybe someone with some credit transfer experience could help me out with that.

raisondetre1

HSC
N/A
Hey KeepCalm, I just transferred from UTS (BBus) to USyd (BCom (Liberal Studies)) and the credit transfer took me exactly 10 days. I applied for it at around the same time as you did (24/01/15). Anyway this is what I got back:

26100 IBP = BUSS1002
21129 MPO = no credit
22107 ABDA = BUSS1030 (I did this back in 2012 so no idea if the post-2012 content is creditable)
22207 ABDB = no credit (if it helps, I did this in 2014 (long story))
25300 FBF = FINC2011 (refer to 22107 ABDA)
23115 EFB = BUSS1040
26134 Business Stats = BUSS1020

I have some other subjects for the accounting and finance majors credited as well but not sure if you've done it ... Also can't help with Marketing Foundations because I didn't do that subject but hopefully what I've given so far helps!

EDIT: I know on the credit checker for the Arts and Social Sciences faculty says (or it used to anyway) that 22207 and 21129 should be credited as ACCT1006 and BUSS1001 respectfully but apparently it's not up-to-date (but it is now); at least that's what the operator told me on the phone 'and in any case I should be referring to the Business faculty' haha.

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
This is a guide to what credits you can expect:http://sydney.edu.au/arts/current_students/credit_checker.shtml

UTS Business
21129 Managing People and Organisations
22107 Accounting for Business Decisions A
22207 Accounting for Business Decisions B
26134 Business Statistics
24108 Marketing Foundations
25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance
23115 Economics for Business
26100 Integrating Business Perspectives

USYD Commerce
BUSS1001 Understanding Business
BUSS1030 Accounting, Business and Society
ACCT1006 Accounting and Financial Management
ECMT1010 Business & Economic Statistics A
MKTG1001 Marketing Principles
FINC2011 Corporate Finance I
BUSS1040 Economics for Business Decision Making
BUSS1002 The Business Environment

--> The underlined ones are POSSIBLE equivalents (but you're less likely to get credit for them)
Hey KeepCalm, I just transferred from UTS (BBus) to USyd (BCom (Liberal Studies)) and the credit transfer took me exactly 10 days. I applied for it at around the same time as you did (24/01/15). Anyway this is what I got back:

26100 IBP = BUSS1002
21129 MPO = no credit
22107 ABDA = BUSS1030 (I did this back in 2012 so no idea if the post-2012 content is creditable)
23115 EFB = BUSS1040

I have some other subjects for the accounting and finance majors credited as well but not sure if you've done it ... Also can't help with Marketing Foundations because I didn't do that subject but hopefully what I've given so far helps!

EDIT: I know on the credit checker for the Arts and Social Sciences faculty says (or it used to anyway) that 22207 and 21129 should be credited as ACCT1006 and BUSS1001 respectfully but apparently it's not up-to-date (but it is now); at least that's what the operator told me on the phone 'and in any case I should be referring to the Business faculty' haha.
Yeah that looks about right in terms of what I listed (so credit checker is reliable) - MPO and ABDB didn't get credited but everything else did for you.

Nah, 22207 and 21129 have no USYD equivalents on credit check.

It was only a possibility because:
- ABDB has a UNSW equivalent and that UNSW equivalent has a USYD equivalent --> yet USYD won't recognise ABDB.
- MPO also has a UNSW equivalent and that UNSW equivalent as a USYD equivalent --> yet USYD won't recognise MPO.

Quite ridiculous in my opinion. There should be uniformity - considering the Go8 credit transfer agreement.

It's same with UNSW for EFB:
- EFB has a USYD equivalent and that USYD equivalent has a UNSW equivalent --> yet UNSW won't recognise EFB.
--> However, whilst IBP has a USYD equivalent --> that USYD equivalent doesn't have a UNSW equivalent.

KeepCalm

HSC
KeepCalm, I actually went to UOW so the way my subjects were done was a bit weird, but I have only done law subjects in my first year.

I applied for credit for foundations of law, hopefully equivalent to foundations of law a at UOW
Contracts, equivalent to Law of Contract A and Law of Contract B at UOW
Criminal Laws, equivalent to Criminal Law and Process A and Criminal Law and Process B at UOW
Legal Research I and II, equivalent to Legal Research and Writing at UOW
The Legal Profession, equivalent to Lawyers and Australian Society at UOW

As you can see, I'm using the content from two subjects at UOW to get credit for one subject at sydney, eg contracts and criminal laws
I'm not sure what the rules are with that, but I;ve definitely done the content of USYD Contracts and Criminal Laws, so I hope I don't have to do that shit again.

And since I haven't done any commerce, I will be at USYD for five years instead of four due to progression rules.

I also wonder what will happen if i get credit for foundations and contracts, will I only do commerce subjects in first semester? maybe someone with some credit transfer experience could help me out with that.
Hopefully you get all those credits approved! I’m not too sure about the rules either… Though i’ve noticed with many usyd law subjects that they are either offered in just semester 1 or just semester 2. You might be able to do some law subjects if you wish in semester one, but I think it is up to you and whether you want to graduate with a commerce degree in the first 3 years… but i’m not too sure - it’s probably best to go see the faculty and ask them questions after you’ve received the credit points :)

26100 IBP = BUSS1002
21129 MPO = no credit
23115 EFB = BUSS1040

Thank you for letting me know about this! I went to UTS today and asked about credit points and got given ibp, abda, eco, stats, marketing but not mpo. I’m still waiting on the law faculty credit points. I also have to be careful because you can only do a certain amount of junior credit points at usyd so i may even have to reject the marketing one. MPO -> Buss1001 was not offered…

Thanks again for the input, really appreciate it :)

Yeah that looks about right in terms of what I listed (so credit checker is reliable) - MPO and ABDB didn't get credited but everything else did for you.

Nah, 22207 and 21129 have no USYD equivalents on credit check.

It was only a possibility because:
- ABDB has a UNSW equivalent and that UNSW equivalent has a USYD equivalent --> yet USYD won't recognise ABDB.
- MPO also has a UNSW equivalent and that UNSW equivalent as a USYD equivalent --> yet USYD won't recognise MPO.

Quite ridiculous in my opinion. There should be uniformity - considering the Go8 credit transfer agreement.

It's same with UNSW for EFB:
- EFB has a USYD equivalent and that USYD equivalent has a UNSW equivalent --> yet UNSW won't recognise EFB.
--> However, whilst IBP has a USYD equivalent --> that USYD equivalent doesn't have a UNSW equivalent.
It’s a bit strange how all the credit points are differed across universities but I suppose it’s a bit tricky to make sure it’s uniform due to the vast amount of subjects offered. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)