Leni Riefenstahl essay help (1 Viewer)

natalieM

HSC
N/A
I've got an assessment where i has to 'Assess Leni Riefenstahl's role in the transformation of German social and cultural life under Nazism'
I've tried looking all through this site and the net and still cant find info on Leni's role.. i keep getting changes in german life that leni had nothing 2 do with.
Any help/info/advice etc. would be great..
Thanks! =|

Carmel1988

HSC
On the net researching that same question. This is my first assessment for the year, second for HSC. This question is coupled with "Outline the major events in the career of Riefenstahl from the 1920's to 1945" for one big essay.
Can anyone say "PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!":worried:
I have been given an "Areas to consider list" if anybody wants them. THey have helped me! Riefenstahl is just so hard to research!! Its just a little frustrating.

X

xeuyrawp

Carmel1988 said:
On the net researching that same question. This is my first assessment for the year, second for HSC. This question is coupled with "Outline the major events in the career of Riefenstahl from the 1920's to 1945" for one big essay.
Can anyone say "PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!":worried:
I have been given an "Areas to consider list" if anybody wants them. THey have helped me! Riefenstahl is just so hard to research!! Its just a little frustrating.
Agreed. Even the best historians judge her before they've even looked into what she produced.

Sparky_marky

HSC
Have people tried books on her? the Leni chapter in Guido Knopp's 'Hitler's Women' does the important events in her life to a reasonable level of detail, I haven't looked at much else writing this speech on her...but there'd have to be other good stuff out there? i just picked Knopp straight off the shelf at the local library...

fsn

HSC
natalieM said:
I've got an assessment where i has to 'Assess Leni Riefenstahl's role in the transformation of German social and cultural life under Nazism'
I've tried looking all through this site and the net and still cant find info on Leni's role.. i keep getting changes in german life that leni had nothing 2 do with.
Any help/info/advice etc. would be great..
Thanks! =|
her only role i can think of during 1933 - 1945 for the nazis is the creation of 'documentaries'. leni transforming german social and cultural life is proabably through showing hitler and the nazi party in a good light, encouraging people to join and support the furer, such as in Triumph of the Will and Olympia.

our class never really learnt about that her role in the transformation of German social and cultural life; instead we had to do an essay on the cricitism and praises of leni riefenstahl.

hoofed

HSC
seriously consider buying the documentry of "the wonderful horrible life of leni refienstahl" it seriously discusses everything you could possibly be asked about her

Georgia19389

HSC
N/A
Can anybody help with quotes by Historians on Leni Riefenstahl !!!! assesment on monday help urgently needed

radmadjules

HSC
Does any one have any website references where i can have a look at the answer to the question (at top of page)

Thanks

BaCC 07~~
HSC
Ahh yes Leni Riefenstahl... it was a shocking HSC question last year =)

I think that when assessing Leni's impact on German social and cultural life, you could start by saying her role had a significant impact, but Leni's role alone did not bring about all the changes.

I think assessing her two films Triumph of the Will and Olympia is the best way in terms of the impact of the 'propaganda or art' value on the German people. Simply put, (assuming she did have an impact), was this impact in terms of promoting Nazi idealogy or the artistic 'Expressionist' movement?

Then you could approach and assess each area. What features of her films promoted Nazi idealogy (Eg. Use of Wagnarian music, messianic images of Hitler, choice of selective camera angles and editing, etc). How and to what extent did this contribute to Hitler's idealogies, in particular, 'Volksgemienschaft'[unified community] idealogy.

What features of her films promoted artistic 'Expressionism'? (Eg. Focus on 'Cult of the Body' idealogy, repeated gynamastic poses, slow motion of athlete's muscular movements). To what extent did her innovative film techniques promote Germany in the eyes of the world (Eg. international awards) and inspire others to taking up filming/acting?

After all that, you may conclude (based on your own opinions) whether or how much Leni's contribution, through her films, was more of an endorsement of Nazi ideals (Hence propaganda upon the German cultural/ social life), or promoting artistic Expressionism. A nice conclusion in the end would also be to say that regardless of her intentions, her films did have a significant impact on both the German people and the prevailing history, and that other contributing factors transformed German way of life, such as Hitler, etc.

Good luck, just my idea of how to approach this essay

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
201055 said:
Ahh yes Leni Riefenstahl... it was a shocking HSC question last year =)

I think that when assessing Leni's impact on German social and cultural life, you could start by saying her role had a significant impact, but Leni's role alone did not bring about all the changes.

I think assessing her two films Triumph of the Will and Olympia is the best way in terms of the impact of the 'propaganda or art' value on the German people. Simply put, (assuming she did have an impact), was this impact in terms of promoting Nazi idealogy or the artistic 'Expressionist' movement?

Then you could approach and assess each area. What features of her films promoted Nazi idealogy (Eg. Use of Wagnarian music, messianic images of Hitler, choice of selective camera angles and editing, etc). How and to what extent did this contribute to Hitler's idealogies, in particular, 'Volksgemienschaft'[unified community] idealogy.

What features of her films promoted artistic 'Expressionism'? (Eg. Focus on 'Cult of the Body' idealogy, repeated gynamastic poses, slow motion of athlete's muscular movements). To what extent did her innovative film techniques promote Germany in the eyes of the world (Eg. international awards) and inspire others to taking up filming/acting?

After all that, you may conclude (based on your own opinions) whether or how much Leni's contribution, through her films, was more of an endorsement of Nazi ideals (Hence propaganda upon the German cultural/ social life), or promoting artistic Expressionism. A nice conclusion in the end would also be to say that regardless of her intentions, her films did have a significant impact on both the German people and the prevailing history, and that other contributing factors transformed German way of life, such as Hitler, etc.

Good luck, just my idea of how to approach this essay
Shocking? That was the easiest question. I made it all up and I knew basically nothing.

BaCC 07~~
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Shocking? That was the easiest question. I made it all up and I knew basically nothing.
Thats kinda why it was shocking ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)