Lets talk RAW (so what do we EXACTLY need to know?) (1 Viewer)

Serg01

Hey... i am just a bit confued as to what exactly is required from RAW... I understand that we must talk about Compliance, Protest and Enforcment, but about what exactly...
In regard to Brett, the institution and the results of all three...

please help

Kaldosh

well, as with all things, i like to talk about techniques, such as onomatopeia (vroom, smash,etc) and the use of simple/colloquial language, and direct speech. although this book isnt very good, and there arent that many techniques used. also talk about what the effecyt of the use of these techniques are. remember, in all questions for english, read "how" as "what techniques do this" and you should do ok

iggy pot

this book is aimed at 12 year olds i think. they must think we are pretty dumb.

crazy_horse

I really enjoyed reading this book, I thought it was well written and the plot remained interesting. I have also found it to be easy to analyse and quote and highly doubt the book is targeted at 12 year olds.

Last edited:

Serg01

You have got to be joking.. do you no how UNREALISTIC this book is? I mean we are in a ouse full of people whom supposedly law brakers and not one of them swears? come on..

TheBirdMustFly

Writer for hire!
HSC
I thought the story line was good, but like some1 else said it was aimed for 12 yr olds coz he puts no effort into description what so ever. It made it a very boring book to read.

this is a little bit

- humane conditions of ‘the farm’ allow for the change, and foster new thoughts in Brett
- Sam is a father figure that is caring, offering for education and rehabilitation rather than punishment
- ‘no gate, no barbed wire, no guards’
- His willingness to allow for change is signalled by Brett being robbed by James in the mustang, and allows him to see crime from a victims point of view
- Relationships are a key factor that Monk utilises to affect change in Brent, turning him from a nearly misogynistic character into a caring one

Serg01

Yes.. i seem to fall to focusing more on the providing evidence of Compliance, Protest and Enforcemnt.. I am focusing on giving examples, quotes and the technique of Imagery to do so.. is this wrong? if so what should i foucs more on doing?

`|<|2o|\|aLd`

i think the quote on the back of the books sums up the target audience...
"heaps good novel ey? first one i ever finished"

ben7

Serg01 said:
Yes.. i seem to fall to focusing more on the providing evidence of Compliance, Protest and Enforcemnt.. I am focusing on giving examples, quotes and the technique of Imagery to do so.. is this wrong? if so what should i foucs more on doing?
My teacher used to force the "how" into us as as well then she left and went to some other sschool lol. our new teacher didnt do it so i kinda mix it in with that compliance and enforcement stuff but im not super good at it myself. I looked at the band 5/6 and they hardly do any "how" so yeh i dunno should we trust our teachers..

trekkie

HSC
For this module all you reeally have to know is what the novel+author are saying abouyt Individual responses to insitutions in society, with raw it isnt really important to fully analyze a section of the text, for this section a quote to back you up is all you need to support the HOW part of the question

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
here... you'll need this... there are no examples howver... youll need your own... this is just a response setup. Enjoy :)

For what its worth I got 13/15 for this... with examples

Last edited:

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
hmmm just randomly off the top of my head from what i remember .. some important things are:

- (obviously) he's general rebellious attitude and 'beat te system before it beats him' attitude'
- use of third person narrative allows responders to get inside characters minds blah blah blah
- colloquial language to appeal to rebellious fag teenagers :p
- all about the relationship he builds with sam, thats pretty important
- the whole girlfriend representation .... caitlyn representing bretts future, whilst rebecca represents his past.
- symbolic use of the storm washing away his past
- cyclical nature of it all ... as in he ends up in as much/more trouble than he starts in ... although this happens, its the events in the book that show brett has changed and the institution was responsible for this change.

hmmm lol thats all i can think of atm :p gl hf ;)

fush

HSC
what u need in this module are good related texts...

i suggest the film 'Sleepers' and the song 'Another brick in the Wall'

enjoy

dominguez

HSC
Hey,
Can someone help me with this question.

Write a feature article for inclusion in a literary magazine aimed at first year iniversity students entitled Protest and Compliance. In your feature article, highligh how features of your prescribed text (RAW) reveal individual attitudes to institutions.
Refer to the experience of at least three characters featured in your prescribed text.

(How does scott monk use techniques to reveal individual attitudes to institutions)

Please email response to roosters_1988@hotmail.com
ANY HELP IS GREAT!
Thank you

Scouser238

HSC
iggy pot said:
this book is aimed at 12 year olds i think. they must think we are pretty dumb.
a dude gets raped in it, and there is talk about caitlyn's breasts. highly doubt its aimed at 12 year olds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)