Level of maths for econometrics. (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
im thinking of electing mathematical economics

if its not in econometrics, what electives do give you a high level of Applied economics maths?

as in looking at game theory (in depth), Black–Scholes (financial models), PDE's etc

or do u hav to elect straight math units and work out how to apply the shit yourself

HSC
Maths subjects tend to make the maths/stats in economics quite simple. Although within economics degree I think they teach you all the maths/stats you need to survive (well, at least get through the subjects) although it doesn't go quite as in depth.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
Need 90+ in MX2 else you won't get through the first week.
oh k

shit count me out lol unless ur joking

u are referring to Econ322??? (Mathematical Economics)

it says the only pre requistites are econ222 (QM2), which only assumes 2 unit math- it basically covers the important elements of 3 unit course + matrix algebra, some basic multivariate calculus

or were u referring to econometrics/adv econometrics

i was thinking of doin these 3 subjects as my economics electives

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Cookie182 said:
oh k

shit count me out lol unless ur joking

u are referring to Econ322??? (Mathematical Economics)

it says the only pre requistites are econ222 (QM2), which only assumes 2 unit math- it basically covers the important elements of 3 unit course + matrix algebra, some basic multivariate calculus

or were u referring to econometrics/adv econometrics

i was thinking of doin these 3 subjects as my economics electives
lol of course he's full of shit. Read some of his other posts.
Bos's worst troll.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Well does any UOW student know which subject (for a commerce/LLB student majoring in eco) gives you higher level maths. Basically i want to be comfortable with PDE's/multivariate shit, and QM1 which im doing now is nothing lik that (basic probability). Is higher lvl math covered in QM2 or do u hav to elect mathematical eco or a straight math sub lik math187/188????

Trajan

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
lol of course he's full of shit. Read some of his other posts.
Bos's worst troll.
Brad, what maths are you currently doing?

You only really need to do 2unit maths.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
im doing introductory econometrics, which is a second year course for an econometrics or economics major.

my point of view is that you might have some trouble with stats if you did general mathematics since in first year you will need to do quantitative methods, which is quite tough at newsouth. i would recommend a bridging course for 2u maths if your doing general.

but what im doing right now is all based on regression.

Demandred

HSC
One the introduction level it is mostly statistics like mean, mode, std dev etc... there's also a fair amount of probability and quadratics involved, possibly basic regression if you get lucky.

Intermediate level introduces regression analysis, diagnostics, hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, basic matrix theory.

Advance level is basically enumerated all in the form of matrix algebra, you'll do more advance models of analysing trends - maximum likelihood estimators, tobit models for cross section data, GARCH & ARCH models for time series and fixed & random effects models for panal data. There's usually a few more added models like TYRM to add more spice.

Umm... it doesn't really matter what level of maths you have, it helps to have 3 u or 4 u i suppose, but I got through with only general maths (scored Ds for intro & intermediate, ended a HD for advance level metrics). The work is designed so that everyone starts off at the same level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)