Level of Maths Required To Do Well in Finance and/or Financial Economics (1 Viewer)

atm1991

HSC
Hey all,

Just a few quick questions on the B Commerce and/or B Economics programs at UNSW.

1. Would 2U Maths be enough for me to handle the maths in either a finance or financial economics major?

2. Is the UNSW B Economics held in the same esteem as B Commerce by employers? I'm talking like big IB and other financial service firms.

3. Do you think Finance/Financial Economics would make a good combo under the B Economics? Ideally, I would like to get into combined B Commerce (Accounting/Finance)/B Economics(Financial Economics), but my most likely avenue to this would be UAI (with a bit of luck haha) + Bonus Points. Does UAI + Bonus Points pretty well ensure you would still get in?

4. If I receive an offer for UTS Business, do you think should I go with it purely because it is closer than UNSW? (I live near Penrith, so UTS would be train to Central then short walk to UTS, whereas UNSW would be train to Central then Bus to UNSW) I'm not trying to start a UTS vs UNSW flame war, I'm just asking for people in similar situations to comment on whether I should let transport times be a huge factor in my decisions.

Any other advice is appreciated, and yeah, I'll be heading to UNSW on the weekend to check things out for myself.

whoisurdaddy

HSC
1. 3U would be preferred. In first years a lot of 3U and harder 2U material will be given fairly minimal detail and without doing 3U prior, you definitely have to do more work to catch up. If you are doing fairly well in 2U right now ie high band 5/6~ then you should have adequate ability to cope with it. Then again even people I know that have done 3U or 4U havent necessarily done well. I think it all comes to effort and interest.

2. Yes

3. Pick what interests you. If you are talking about employability, accounting would be a far better option.

4. If I were you id pick UNSW over UTS anyday even if it means +transport time

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Hey all,

Just a few quick questions on the B Commerce and/or B Economics programs at UNSW.

1. Would 2U Maths be enough for me to handle the maths in either a finance or financial economics major?

2. Is the UNSW B Economics held in the same esteem as B Commerce by employers? I'm talking like big IB and other financial service firms.

3. Do you think Finance/Financial Economics would make a good combo under the B Economics? Ideally, I would like to get into combined B Commerce (Accounting/Finance)/B Economics(Financial Economics), but my most likely avenue to this would be UAI (with a bit of luck haha) + Bonus Points. Does UAI + Bonus Points pretty well ensure you would still get in?

4. If I receive an offer for UTS Business, do you think should I go with it purely because it is closer than UNSW? (I live near Penrith, so UTS would be train to Central then short walk to UTS, whereas UNSW would be train to Central then Bus to UNSW) I'm not trying to start a UTS vs UNSW flame war, I'm just asking for people in similar situations to comment on whether I should let transport times be a huge factor in my decisions.

Any other advice is appreciated, and yeah, I'll be heading to UNSW on the weekend to check things out for myself.
1) Yes. The only thing you'll be doing again from high school will be calculus. But the course structure is changing next year so I'm not even sure qma and qmb will exist anymore.

2) Yeah. To be honest, I think an economics degree is more substantial mind you than a commerce degree nowadays. Considering that the main majors in an eco degree are either eco, financial eco and econometrics which I consider more employable than fucking marketing or management in an com degree.

3) Yes, that would be a great combination. You could still go further and do a CA/CPA if you tailor your com degree appropriately

4) No. I have a friend who lives in penrith and that doesnt stop him from going to unsw. Distance is a bitch but I always think it shouldnt be a barrier when it comes to choosing a university.

Refer to my post the economics at unsw thread in the general section if you're curious about financial economics.

atm1991

HSC
To the guys above, thanks very much for your advice. Just what I was looking for!

I have come up with another question:

If I was to do only a single B Economics degree at UNSW in 2010, does the restructuring of the course, and the subsequent removal on "Accounting & Financial Management 1B" from the core units affect my ability to do an Accounting major and later enrol in the CA Program?

The study requirements for a UNSW B Commerce or B Economics graduate with an Accounting major wishing to enrol in the CA program are currently:

*Accounting and Financial Management 1A

*Accounting and Financial Management 1B

*Corporate Financial Reporting and Analysis

*Issues in Financial Reporting and Analysis

Here are links to the pages where I got this info:

Program details | Undergraduate | Future Students | Australian School of Business | UNSW

Program details | Undergraduate | Future Students | Australian School of Business | UNSW

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/files/documents/2009 ATC List FINAL_26Aug09.pdf

YouTube - Changes to the Bachelor of Economics

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
To the guys above, thanks very much for your advice. Just what I was looking for!

I have come up with another question:

If I was to do only a single B Economics degree at UNSW in 2010, does the restructuring of the course, and the subsequent removal on "Accounting & Financial Management 1B" from the core units affect my ability to do an Accounting major and later enrol in the CA Program?

The study requirements for a UNSW B Commmerce or B Economics graduate with an Accounting major wishing to enrol in the CA program are currently:

*Accounting and Financial Management 1A

*Accounting and Financial Management 1B

*Corporate Financial Reporting and Analysis

*Issues in Financial Reporting and Analysis

Here are links to the pages where I got this info:

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/files/documents/2009 ATC List FINAL_26Aug09.pdf

YouTube - Changes to the Bachelor of Economics
Yes, you have to do Acct1B. The later year courses at university have prerequisite courses that you must complete before you can actually do them. Acct1B requires that you pass Acct1A in order to do it. And so on.

atm1991

HSC
Yes, you have to do Acct1B. The later year courses at university have prerequisite courses that you must complete before you can actually do them. Acct1B requires that you pass Acct1A in order to do it. And so on.
So I would do Accounting and Financial Management 1A as a core unit in the B Economics, and then later do Accounting and Financial Management 1B as a subject or 6 units of credit under the Accounting major? This is as opposed to doing both as core units in the B Commerce?

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
So I would do Accounting and Financial Management 1A as a core unit in the B Economics, and then later do Accounting and Financial Management 1B as a subject or 6 units of credit under the Accounting major? This is as opposed to doing both as core units in the B Commerce?
Because the course structure has changed for next year, I'm a bit in the dark as to what is or is not required anymore for you guys? I only care about the course requirements in the year I started, understandably... I can only say that before 2010, everyone in both commerce and economics did Acct1A and Acct1b regardless. They were both core courses so that was it. You did them and then you moved on to either more accounting or none.

I just don't know here to be honest because everything has changed. I recommend you call the australian school of business at UNSW and ask them directly.

atm1991

HSC
Because the course structure has changed for next year, I'm a bit in the dark as to what is or is not required anymore for you guys? I only care about the course requirements in the year I started, understandably... I can only say that before 2010, everyone in both commerce and economics did Acct1A and Acct1b regardless. They were both core courses so that was it. You did them and then you moved on to either more accounting or none.

I just don't know here to be honest because everything has changed. I recommend you call the australian school of business at UNSW and ask them directly.
Yeah I'm going to Open Day 2moro, and will probably ask then. If not I'll call.

Really do appreciate all the advice mate, and it's completely understandable you would only be familiar with the year you started. But I'm guessing by your earlier post you do B Economics?

proringz

HSC
1. Yes
4. No, don't go to UTS purely because of distance. I know someone from friggin Wollongong and also Penrith who go to unsw. If you're travelling all the way to the city from penrith, then why not take an extra 10-15mins bus ride

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Yeah I'm going to Open Day 2moro, and will probably ask then. If not I'll call.

Really do appreciate all the advice mate, and it's completely understandable you would only be familiar with the year you started. But I'm guessing by your earlier post you do B Economics?
I do com/eco. And this is the 2nd year now that I've answered questions about uns w comm/eco.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)