Liberal control of the Senate (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I doubt those electoral reforms are going through, someone will cross the floor on those for sure.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
They are not going to do anything overly crazy. The backbenches will keep them in line.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I should sleep, and I'm sure that most of you would have read through these articles regardless, but eh.

King of the Castle
The key points from the Howard half of the article.

Howard makes the point that he has a mandate from the electorate to implement some of his key policy aims. In his hierarchy of pressing priorities, he nominates two in the top echelon - his controversial workplace reform plan, which the unions are opposing in an $8 million advertising blitz, and his plan to privatise the 50.1 per cent of Telstra that remains in Government ownership.
He has a second tier of legislative priority, and this is the category into which he puts the proposed liberalisation of media ownership laws.
Beyond this, Howard makes three key points about his approach to the novelty of a Government majority in the Senate. First, he thinks it is bad politics to behave like an autocrat... Second, he doesn't think he could get away with it even if he tried... Third, he doesn't intend to try.
---

A matter of Joyce (ha ha)
A myth has grown that Joyce filled the last of Queensland's Senate seats in a dramatic victory in October, giving the Government control of the upper house from July 1. In fact, the Liberal senator-elect Russell Trood was the last one in but, says Joyce: "What are you going to do? Write about him? I'm far more interesting."
That's true.

As far as Joyce is concerned, he has nothing to lose. His worst nightmare is to complete his term (he's convinced he won't get a second) as just another faceless senator, having squandered the chance to make a difference, however small.

Joyce believes in a strong Coalition but he's equally adamant that he doesn't owe the Liberal Party a thing after it campaigned against him in last year's election. Letters bearing the signature of John Howard were sent to St George voters, urging them to support the Liberal ticket for the Senate.

"I suppose that means I'm not part of John Howard's team," Joyce says.
---

Senate changes will make scandals harder to expose, says Labor

Using its control of the Senate from July 1, the Coalition is planning changes to the chamber's powerful committee system which could limit scrutiny of its activities.

Its Senate leader, Robert Hill, argues that changing the committee system would make it easier to govern. But Labor's Senate leader, Chris Evans, fears it would stymie the most powerful government instrument for uncovering scandals and ensuring accountability.
[A] number of Government sources regard changes to the operation of the Senate as matters of procedure rather than issues to be taken to voters.
I wonder what else will be a 'matter of procedure'.

---

I haven't said much, have I? Oh well. All that we can really do at the moment is speculate as to what may happen, I guess. That's not as much fun as lamenting the loss of our parliamentary democracy as it currently stands, though.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Excuse me, when haven't the nationals been against the selling of telstra unless country services are up to par?
Excuse me, but how long is your memory. At first the Nationals had no qualms about seeling Telstra. This was back at the beginning of the proposal. They came around a fair while ago and I suppose you, like everybody else, had forgotten of the Nationals original stance. I have a funny feeling, but I sure as hell can't prove this, that Anderson copped a bit of backlash in the Land paper before he changed his stance. Some other members of his party and some independents were against the proposal from the outset.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I'm counting down till July 1st. I can't wait.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I really must say suck it, you lefty bastards. Suck it long, and suck it hard. I hope some really 'anti-hippy' style laws come into effect, just to spite you all.

Roll on VSU.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
While VSU is going to fuck over many Unis, the only issues I really care about is the loss of funding for infastructure and telecommunications within rural areas (and the inadequate health services provided within these communities) and of course the Industrial Reforms. We need trade unions, and we need workers rights protected.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
hfis said:
I'm counting down till July 1st. I can't wait.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I really must say suck it, you lefty bastards. Suck it long, and suck it hard. I hope some really 'anti-hippy' style laws come into effect, just to spite you all.

Roll on VSU.
It's not just 'left hippies' who are against many of these reforms - look at the IR Reforms - state governments and trade unions are up in arms about these reforms not because they want a lovey-dovey perfect little world were we all love each other - but rather most peole recognise that the rights of workers need protecting. There is a vast difference between left-wingers and unionists.

Go the Unionists!

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Yeah, fair point, but in my eyes this government can do no wrong. Three hours 10 minutes to go until a great day dawns.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I can just picture the folks at Kirribilli standing around waiting for the day to finally turn (if Howard isn't there, just think of it in a symbolic sense).

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Then, when 12am comes about, they crack out the Passion Pop, Party Poppers and kazoos and break it down...Fresh...

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Asquithian said:
lol...Left wingism have alot to do with Unionism.

The reason you vote or support the liberals is because of their social conservatism. However your view to ecnomics rests more to the side of Labor, in that you are concerned with workers rights. Something that is very labor in nature.

Yes they do, but they also have fundamental differences - i.e. they'd support workers rights and deem it more important than say getting rid of manitory detention, and quite often can be against a sudden influx of migrant workers etc - stuff like that differentiants Left-wingers from Unionists. (How I see it anyway) Left wingers are concerned with human rights on an international scale and don't confine themselves to one nation or a specific group of people - they believe in equality and basic human rights for all, above all. Unionists tend to confine themselves to the nation in which they work and see workers rights as their main concern - that'd be me. Equality within the workplace, the power of trade unions and the preservation of workers rights. Because I see that as paramount, ever since I started learning bits of politics, I've always supported Labour, and pretty much have always been a Unionist. I don't really support Liberals, but simply see merit in a few of their actions. However, we all know Howard doesn't give a toss about workers rights and as such, I've never fully supported nor voted Liberal :)

Edited It's here. You better be share that passion pop Gavrillo!

Last edited:

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Asquithian said:
Surely by now people would understand that the Liberal government was not very clear with their policies and their platform other than

1. Interest rates low

2. Labor bad

3 .Trust us

The Liberals were given a full mandate by a public that never examined or knew all their policies. But thats how it goes.
yes... trust them. hahahaha
Although the senate majority concerns me, I do think that Howard is smart enough to be careful in the things he pushes through. I might not like hom very much, but he IS a good politition.
Ovbiously he will likely do things that are unpopular, but I doubt he'd do somthing that would cause a full-on public outcry, at the risk of one of his senators crossing the floor.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Asquithian said:
I think unionists of the ye old day have a very narrow scope. I may be concerned about workers rights. But I see that as part of 'human rights'.

My center leftism doesn't just extend to workers rights.

However I do recognise that they reforms will be good for business. It's a two way street and those who do not have the interests of workers at the forefront of their minds were voted in by the Australian people democratically.

Liberal voters who dont like these changes have no one else but themselves to blame.

Surely by now people would understand that the Liberal government was not very clear with their policies and their platform other than

1. Interest rates low

2. Labor bad

3 .Trust us

The Liberals were given a full mandate by a public that never examined or knew all their policies. But thats how it goes.
Can't argue with that ;)

Generator

HSC
N/A
All power to Howard

Although they were chosen last October, it will not be until 12.30pm on Tuesday that 14 new senators are sworn in and the shape of the Senate changes. The Liberals and Nationals will have 39 of the 76 Senate seats. No prime minister since Malcolm Fraser has enjoyed a majority in the upper house.

Some fear this will erode the fabric of democracy and accountability because the Coalition can do whatever it wants without the Senate curbing its power.

Others say the Government will be held hostage by the Nationals and perhaps a few Liberals in the same way that former balance-of-power senators such as Brian Harradine and Meg Lees extracted concessions in return for their votes. Although much has been made about Nationals' senators having the balance of power, any one of the 39 Coalition MPs can hold the Government over a barrel and lobbyists who once hounded the independents to push their case are now chasing Government senators in whom they have never before shown interest.
Generator said:
*bump*

Given that today is the final day of Parliament before the Winter break and that 1 July is almost at hand, I'm of the opinion that we should cue the Imperial March tune in preparation for August (when the Senate actually resumes).
I still stand by that post, even though it seems as though the Imperial Moffs and Admirals are testing the boundaries to a degree that I would consider to be reckless (at least they don't have to deal with the knives of Sussex Street, though).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I don't believe that we should cue the musics just yet.

At least wait for the Empire Strikes back scenes:

"COSTELLO: There is no escape. Don't make me destroy you. You do not yet realize your importance. You have only begun to discover you power. Join me and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the country.

KIM: I'll never join you!

COSTELLO: If you only knew the power of the dark side. Keating never told you what happened to your father.

KIM: He told me enough! He told me you killed him.

COSTELLO: No. I am your father.

KIM: No. No. That's not true! That's impossible!

COSTELLO: Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

KIM: No! No! No

COSTELLO: Kim. You can destroy the Prime Minister. He has foreseen this. It is your destiny. Join me, and we can rule the galaxy as father and son. Come with me. It's the only way."

But if we are watching for somone to hold the government up I dont think it will be Joyce.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)