Liberal Studies v.s. Liberal Arts and Sciences (1 Viewer)

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
From what I have read on the USyd website, it appears that from next year both Liberal Studies and Liberal Studies (International) will be replaced with Liberal Arts and Sciences.
I can't find either of the first two courses on the UAC course code search, either, proving this??

Lib.Int: Bachelor of Liberal Studies (International) - University of Sydney

Lib. Arts +Sciences: Bachelor of Liberal Arts and Science - University of Sydney

a) is anyone willing to hazard a guess at the cut-off of the new Lib Arts and Sciences? Around 83 like the old Lib.Std or 99 like Lib.Std (Int)?

b) the new course doesn't include either language study or exchange semesters. we can still do both these things despite this, right?

Thanks.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
you're right, liberal studies (as well as the B. Arts and Sciences) is now being replaced with the BLAS. key difference is that it's a 3-year degree instead of the previous 4.

a) impossible to say for sure, but: liberal studies (international) was only 99ish because you got $5000 to go towards the cost of the compulsory exchange, and there weren't many places offered. since the BLAS doesn't have the automatic scholarship, and there'll be plenty of places available, its cut-off won't be anywhere near that high. i wouldn't really expect the cut-off to change a whole lot from the old Liberal Studies course, but i could be wrong.

b) yes. as part of the degree you have to do units from both the arts and science faculties, and your arts component can include any language the faculty offers. exchange is available on any degree at the university.

spence

HSC
Also, if you were keen on the old liberal studies degree, consider arts/science. It's being changed to 4 years instead of 5, so it's pretty similar to liberal studies

roza07

HSC
I was considering the Liberal Arts/Science degree, heard that you can pick up arts units in a regular science degree, just wondering how many?

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad
The old B.A.S. has been scrapped too, which had a UAI cut-off of 75.15 for 2009, so I'm thinking it'd be somewhere in between that and the 83, or whatever, for the B Lib Stds.

I was considering the Liberal Arts/Science degree, heard that you can pick up arts units in a regular science degree, just wondering how many?
If you're talking about doing arts subjects in a B Sc, then I've heard you can do up to a third of your degree outside your faculty... so you can do 48 cp from arts (or 8 units of study).

spence

HSC
The old B.A.S. has been scrapped too, which had a UAI cut-off of 75.15 for 2009, so I'm thinking it'd be somewhere in between that and the 83, or whatever, for the B Lib Stds.

If you're talking about doing arts subjects in a B Sc, then I've heard you can do up to a third of your degree outside your faculty... so you can do 48 cp from arts (or 8 units of study).
You can do 60cp from outside the arts faculty, so there's enough to do a major from science

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)