Liberals propose WorkChoices 2.0! (1 Viewer)

S

Slide

You're an idiot.

The only bad thing about Workchoices was that it was an increase in federal powers.
every high court interpretation further bastardises the intentions of samuel griffith

S

Slide

I liked workchoices, it probably had a lot of potential to bring down things like food inflation and make retailers put pressure on the shopping centres ripping them off for high rents as the cost of labor went down and people generally benefitted.

Though there have been some positives. Labor took a more cautionary road with their award modernisation and consolidation progress, and fair work australia seems to be doing a good job at government accountability. The problem is that inevitably these conditions keep creeping up and up to a point where it becomes unviable. Unlike individual contracts which get renewed every few years awards set the minimum standards which tend to be deleterious to business in circumstances of recession.

The whole reason australia weathered the recession wasn't because of the stimulus but because our labor market allowed employers the flexibility to make workers part time, enforce holidays and limit hours because that was preferable to outright firing talented people.

Indeed, the very people who did pre emptively gut their labour force are paying for it now they've ditched so many productive people and they need them again.

I think ultimately in principle i support workchoices, but i'm glad that the award system protects me in a way that the retail union probably wouldn't, even if i paid their contributions. However, in a few years when i'm a full time professional i will of course think underlings beneath me deserve whatever the market bestows upon them.

S

Slide

work choices was not the workers friend.

People agreed to things so they keep their jobs because employers could easily find workers who would agree to have less for your work position.
To be honest in a sales environment i would favour lower base wage if it meant higher commissions as it would incentivise the truly productive people.

I always achieve above sales targets but because i'm older i dont get as many shifts as other people

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Several Liberal members of parliment want to bring back Work Choices, a.k.a Work Choices 2.0. The original WorkChoices was devastating, have they learnt nothing from their crushign defeat at the 2007 election where the people of Australia overwhemingly stood up to these bullies and demanded that WorkChoices be repealed as it lowered wages for many Australians? Never again will I vote Liberal now.

From today's Australian:

ECONOMIC conservatives on the Liberal backbench have welcomed a call to arms by Peter Reith for a new fight with Labor on industrial relations.

"Peter Reith has been there, he's done this stuff before. He is absolutely spot on the money," Mr Briggs said.
The renewed discussion on the issue will provide ammunition for the government, which says the opposition wants to revive Work Choices.

"John Howard used to say that economic reform was like a running race with an ever-receding finishing line, and I think that's exactly right."

Mr Reith, the Howard government enforcer on industrial relations and waterfront reform, has urged Tony Abbott and the Coalition not to be "spooked" by a Labor scare campaign on Work Choices, and to produce labour market reforms in the national interest.
The former industrial relations minister and one-time Liberal leadership aspirant believes labour market reform is Australia's No 1 priority

Victorian Liberal backbencher Kelly O'Dwyer, a former adviser to treasurer Peter Costello, also backed a fresh debate on workplace reform.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
yeah boo to economic reform
boo to change

lets never try to improve our systems!!1
It took the Liberals 11 years to come up with WorkChoices and it was easily one of the worst polciies from any side of government in the past 50 years of Australian politics. the Liberal were once strong on the economy, they lost that a long tiem ago though, labor is now better on the economy than the Liberals are.

HSC
It took the Liberals 11 years to come up with WorkChoices and it was easily one of the worst polciies from any side of government in the past 50 years of Australian politics. the Liberal were once strong on the economy, they lost that a long tiem ago though, labor is now better on the economy than the Liberals are.
workchoices corresponded with a period of record high employment

CANT EXPLAIN THAT

labor is now better on the economy than the liberals are
explain

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
workchoices corresponded with a period of record high employment

CANT EXPLAIN THAT

labor is now better on the economy than the liberals are
explain
I would require several thousand words to correctly explain the tyranny that WorkChoices was. For a general overview of why it was bad (and the few positives it did have) you could have a look at the Wikipedia article (be warned, its lengthy) on this tyranny of policy that was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WorkChoices

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
work choices was not the workers friend.

People agreed to things so they keep their jobs because employers could easily find workers who would agree to have less for your work position.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Please explain why labor is better at economic management. This will be interesting.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
If they don't have the ability to agree to almost anything between employee and employer stuff I won't hate work choices.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Please explain why labor is better at economic management. This will be interesting.
For a start, Labor repealled WorkChoices and gave fairer working conditions back to the Australian people.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Labor spent money

Best government!!!

Liberals give employment freedom to employers

WORSE THAN SATAN FREEDOM IS TYRANNY UNLESS I GET EMPLOYMENT I AM UNQUALIFIED AND UNENTITLED TO

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Labor spent money

Best government!!!

Liberals give employment freedom to employers

WORSE THAN SATAN FREEDOM IS TYRANNY UNLESS I GET EMPLOYMENT I AM UNQUALIFIED AND UNENTITLED TO
Labor saved us from the worst of the 2008-2010 Economic recession.

Liberals do give more employment freedom to employers, although this is bad for all employees.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
At least unions are fighting for the working people though, not some multi million or billion dollar company.

If the unions have too much power there will be constant strikes and they want better than good working conditions. Unions want everything easy.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Labor saved us from the worst of the 2008-2010 Economic recession.

Liberals do give more employment freedom to employers, although this is bad for all employees.
It wasnt much on paper because we werent going to have a bad economic recession and we werent that far below the recession line.

The reason we didnt have a bad economic recession is because our main trade partners are Asia - China, India etc. We didn't have main ties with the UK or the US.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)