Libertarian movement (1 Viewer)

Sgt Grumbles

Banned
HSC
N/A
At Kieran's point regarding the powerful nature of current nation states and their ability to oppress weak nation states, that only comes from the amount of military spending that is enabled by large-scale rent-seeking. When it comes to private individuals or even groups of private individuals funding security forces, the motivation to invade other nations or seize the property of others is reduced, purely from a profit motive standpoint.

The ability for an individual to lay waste and destruction is substantially reduced when they are not coercively extracting rents from a population. That isn't to say the potential for something akin to the Somalian situation could occur, however it would be fair to say that that situation would only occur when power is fairly centralised among warlords.

It goes without saying that the vast majority of the major conflicts in the world right now would no longer be financially viable if rent-seeking was no longer funding it.

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
the swiss are smart cunts who dont take sides in fights which have nothing to do with them

fucken libertarians are the WORST

Edit: oh wait thats the french

cheese eating surrender monkeys

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
At Kieran's point regarding the powerful nature of current nation states and their ability to oppress weak nation states, that only comes from the amount of military spending that is enabled by large-scale rent-seeking. When it comes to private individuals or even groups of private individuals funding security forces, the motivation to invade other nations or seize the property of others is reduced, purely from a profit motive standpoint.

The ability for an individual to lay waste and destruction is substantially reduced when they are not coercively extracting rents from a population. That isn't to say the potential for something akin to the Somalian situation could occur, however it would be fair to say that that situation would only occur when power is fairly centralised among warlords.

It goes without saying that the vast majority of the major conflicts in the world right now would no longer be financially viable if rent-seeking was no longer funding it.
And yet, whilst we're on the topic of Somalia, I think you'll find that Al-Shabab and other militias often forcefully coerce the populace into providing funds or working for them, not to mention the raids into other militia territories and all the lucrative piracy.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Well you've got a point there. Anarchy has destroyed the previously wealthy, peaceful and politically stable nation.

You can keep posting, but not even those on your side are taking you seriously so I don't really see the point.
Omar-Comin appears to be a Libertarian's troll account, based on rep comments and the fact that he's attacking Libertarians with absolute patent nonsense.

Sgt Grumbles

Banned
HSC
N/A
And yet, whilst we're on the topic of Somalia, I think you'll find that Al-Shabab and other militias often forcefully coerce the populace into providing funds or working for them, not to mention the raids into other militia territories and all the lucrative piracy.

Oh absolutely. Though I'd say this doesn't mean we need some 'year zero' solution to implement anarchic ideals. What i would propose is a small entanglement of the individual from the state, step by step. Start with alloidal rights and go from there.

However a democratic impetus would be required to prompt the transition from our current understanding of government to any future interactions. I see the democratization of information and coming technological advances putting us in a situation where we no longer rely on government monopolies for the provision of services (I've discussed this with Slidey at length and we agree on the end point just not the means)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
This is the thrust of my concern.

The removal of the state would not imo remove the propensity of humans to rent-seek. In an anarchic situation such as those we see in Somalia and in many other relatively lawless developing areas warlords have emerged and set about violently rent-seeking.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Yes the international system is anarchic (sup realism). Yes the strong state oppress the weak states. This is actually a perfect illustration of my point. Without an overarching authority the strong will oppress and exploit the weak. Removing states just means that this occurs on the local level.
Right, so instead of having massive nuclear armed nation states fighting each other, fighting would be more likely to occur on a local level? Sounds like an improvement to me. It makes it easier to escape conflicts if they are on a local level, and limits the damage caused by them.

Who said anything about hiring people. The strong could simply band together and rove around oppressing and rent-seeking. Certainly the incentives are there. All I need to do is grab some friends and some guns (the latter of which you suggest I could purchase for as little as $100ea) and now my associates and I can get busy with highway robbery/rape/murder, protection rackets, etc etc. There will be other similar groups and we can have turf wars. It'll be great.

Why wouldn't an AC society descend into the Wild West?
First of all, the Wild West was nothing like how it is portrayed in movies. Certainly in parts of the Western Frontier there was excellent private security and protection provided by local communities. The data is difficult to interpret, but there is no proof that overall the Western Frontier was more violent than the east (apart from the wars, which had happened earlier in the eastern frontier and are a symptom of colonization).

Why would anyone want to have turf wars and face being killed by other gangs, or armed civilians? You have failed to make warlordism sound like an attractive prospect.

You overestimate the numbers required. An aggressor requires sufficient strength to overpower or coerce those who will resist. This group is typically far less than the total population. A 2-1 ratio may enable the resistors to be overpowered but why bother when they can simply be coerced? Make the cost of them resisting more than they can stomach. For example seize some hostages, slaughter some people, or otherwise demonstrate the cost of resistance.

Once they give in and have been disarmed the level of required oppressors is greatly reduced, and therefore the bulk of the original oppressors can be redeployed to oppress other people.
The lesson of communism is that a system which requires a new or different human will fail.
I would agree. But AC does not require a new or different human. As volition and I have stated several times, very clearly:

jennyfromdabloc said:
If you want to live in a minarchist society, fine. I'm not saying governments can't exist, I'm saying people should have a realistic, viable opportunity to opt out of them.
It is quite the opposite of communism which is forced on everyone. All I am advocating is a right to succession. Those that want to live under a government can choose that and people that have AC tendencies can choose an AC community.

Therefore, because of the process of self selection the AC community is likely to be well armed and extremely suspicious and hostile towards anyone attempting to rule them. So they would indeed be a formidable opponent to anyone trying to conquer them and most of them would probably undertake training in the use of military grade firearms.

Look at any protection racket.
Such as?

I assume you are being disingenuous again and comparing them to criminal gangs here which extort people without consent and are totally different to the sort of firms we are suggesting which are based on voluntary contracts. I realise you are saying the firms could start out voluntary and turn into this, but the triad/mafia example is just way off. These organisations never started out as legitimate private security firms, they were always criminals gangs which in many cases have derived most of their revenue from the criminalization of drugs, prostitution and gambling (do I really need to point out the culprit here).

A much better example would be private security companies that do exist today, and guess what, they haven’t become “oppressors like triad gangs.”

For new firms there are significant barriers to entry in the market.
Such as? Surely the main expense for a security firm is labour which is a variable cost. What are the huge expenses that would make it hard for new firms to compete?

For consumers the cost to switch is prohibitive.
Why? What prohibitive costs do you foresee being involved with switching?

Security firms would become oppressors just like triad gangs do. And just like triad gangs the only way a community gets a new one is when a turf war breaks out and the ownership of the community changes to a new gang.
Right. Except this has never been observed actually happening with security firms and you just made it up.

Refer to blood diamonds and other exploitation it can be quite cheap to use slaves. That is the whole point.
Good example. I wonder if the Africans being rounded up and enslaved were armed and able to defend themselves...

And why would the weak be armed in an AC world?
They wouldn’t necessarily, but at least they would have the right to be armed, rather than being deliberately and systematically disarmed by the government.
If the weak feel they would be better protected by the government, they can chose to remain under its jurisdiction. I would expect most people that would chose to move to an AC community would be from the developed world (particularly the USA), and they would tend to have guns.

East India Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you mean the East India Company that received monopoly trading privileges and direct financial and military backing from the government? You know, the one that ended up being directly controlled by the British Parliament.

Also is it really that inconceivable that chevron could hire/partner/JV with blackwater? Certainly the prices at the moment are prohibitive but imo that reflects blackwater's rent-seeking not a fair indication of the market price.
It’s not impossible, but as I said, it’s much more expensive to pay for a war yourself, than to force a whole bunch of taxpayers to bear the cost for you. It’s estimated that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost $954 billion since 2001 (COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War), which is several times greater than the entire net worth of Chervon. Considering Chervon barely foot any of the bill, having to pay several hundred billion (lets discount a bit for rent-seeking) changes the incentives in place hugely.

All your objections seem to be along the lines of "omg this could go wrong under AC" while all the time you ignore that these terrible things are happening right now under governments. Once again for the third time I have told you in this thread:

AC WILL NOT MAKE EVERYTHING WONDERFUL AND PERFECT. THERE WILL STILL BE VIOLENCE AND BAD THINGS HAPPENING. ALL I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT ON BALANCE THERE WOULD BE LESS BAD STUFF UNDER AC THAN UNDER THE GOVERNMENT.

Of course there are no guarantees, but if you make people pay for war themselves rather than allowing them to force others to pay, surely this makes war less likely. Do you disagree with this basic logic?

The removal of the state would not imo remove the propensity of humans to rent-seek. In an anarchic situation such as those we see in Somalia and in many other relatively lawless developing areas warlords have emerged and set about violently rent-seeking.
But by many measures the people of Somalia are actually better of under anarchy than they were under government (http://www.peterleeson.com/Better_Off_Stateless.pdf, its definitely worth a read).

As I pointed out earlier, Somalia is not an example of what we are advocating. I do not support the violent overthrow of the government, nor do I hope for its sudden collapse (as happened in Somalia). All I want is to peacefully convince people to allow a right of succession from the state.

The question when analysing political systems is not whether a particular country under a particular system is desirable, because this will always be biased by the natural and historical qualities of the country in question.

Obviously Somalia with its lack of natural resources, location in an unstable part of the world, poorly educated fundamentalist religious population, feuding racial groups and history of violence and poverty is going to have serious problems under any political system.

Just as the Scandanavian countries which are rich in natural resources, have small ethnically quite homogenous populations and have historically been wealthy and located in a stable part of the world are more likely to be prosperous.

The question to is ask whether a given country has improved or gotten worse when its political system has changed. What can almost always be observed is that the more a country moves towards free market economics, the more prosperous it becomes. Examples include:

China
Taiwan
Singapore
Kong Kong
Estonia
Ireland
Iceland
USA
Somalia (contentious I know, but read the article)
Russia (although still beset by violence and corruption, living standards have increased massively since the collapse of the USSR).
South Korea
East Germany

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Type more essays on the internet, Dom.

beefnoodle

HSC
It is almost impossible to spread the ideas and principles of libertarianism in Australia. The population is washed in the welfare state. You have the Youth Allowance manipulating the youth into thinking that it is their right to have control over someone else's hard work. You have "free" health care and a generous welfare state keeping the population quiet. People will diss you if you speak out.

PS: I do not receive the Youth Allowance, I got out of that trap last year.

I am curious, how did you become a libertarian? it is very odd in a welfare state.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Right, so instead of having massive nuclear armed nation states fighting each other, fighting would be more likely to occur on a local level? Sounds like an improvement to me. It makes it easier to escape conflicts if they are on a local level, and limits the damage caused by them.
Nuclear war has not erupted and the 50 years after nuclear weapons entered the scene have been much more peaceful compared to basically any other period in recorded history. There have been no major land wars. Anywhere. Vietnam/Iraq/Afghanistan/Korea/etc while bad in their own ways simply do not compare to WWI, WWII, Napoleonic wars etc etc.

First of all, the Wild West was nothing like how it is portrayed in movies. Certainly in parts of the Western Frontier there was excellent private security and protection provided by local communities. The data is difficult to interpret, but there is no proof that overall the Western Frontier was more violent than the east (apart from the wars, which had happened earlier in the eastern frontier and are a symptom of colonization).
Tbqh I have no idea of the comparative violence of the western frontier and it was therefore a bad example.

Why would anyone want to have turf wars and face being killed by other gangs, or armed civilians? You have failed to make warlordism sound like an attractive prospect.
I don't think it is an attractive prospect. It is however what we see happen everywhere that the rule of law breaks down. And if I was in such a lawless area I think it is a career which I would definitely consider.

It is quite the opposite of communism which is forced on everyone. All I am advocating is a right to succession. Those that want to live under a government can choose that and people that have AC tendencies can choose an AC community.
Where would they secede to? States own all the land. Are you talking about individuals buying land from the government and seceding or are you talking about charter cities?

Therefore, because of the process of self selection the AC community is likely to be well armed and extremely suspicious and hostile towards anyone attempting to rule them. So they would indeed be a formidable opponent to anyone trying to conquer them and most of them would probably undertake training in the use of military grade firearms.
Military grade small arms are quite different to the power of the modern war machine. They may prevent (or make costly) an occupation but would not prevent a punitive air strike or an armoured smash and grab.

I assume you are being disingenuous again and comparing them to criminal gangs here which extort people without consent and are totally different to the sort of firms we are suggesting which are based on voluntary contracts. I realise you are saying the firms could start out voluntary and turn into this, but the triad/mafia example is just way off. These organisations never started out as legitimate private security firms, they were always criminals gangs which in many cases have derived most of their revenue from the criminalization of drugs, prostitution and gambling (do I really need to point out the culprit here).

A much better example would be private security companies that do exist today, and guess what, they haven’t become “oppressors like triad gangs.”
I don't feel that I am being particularly disingenuous here. I think that voluntarily contracted security firms would become oppressors. A community contracts a firm for protection. The firm moves in. The community grows lax arming themselves or training with their arms. At some point the firm decides to exploit their position of power and rent-seek.

Essentially you are saying that to protect themselves from men with guns that a family should invite a man with a gun into their house and simply trust/hope that he doesn't turn his gun on them.

I think the triad/mafia example is relevant from the protection racket standpoint. The firm arrives and aggressively markets their protection services to coerce a contract. The community voluntarily contracts but the firm becomes aggressive in increasing prices.

Such as? Surely the main expense for a security firm is labour which is a variable cost. What are the huge expenses that would make it hard for new firms to compete?

Why? What prohibitive costs do you foresee being involved with switching?

Right. Except this has never been observed actually happening with security firms and you just made it up.
The barrier to entry in the industry is labour and logistics. Due to the training requirements labour is not variable. Logistic capabilities are expensive to develop and have poor scalability.

The barrier to entry in the market is existing firms violently resisting the new entrant. A turf war.

I see the prohibitive cost as retribution by the existing provider.

Good example. I wonder if the Africans being rounded up and enslaved were armed and able to defend themselves...
So people who are too poor to afford guns deserve to be enslaved?

It’s not impossible, but as I said, it’s much more expensive to pay for a war yourself, than to force a whole bunch of taxpayers to bear the cost for you. It’s estimated that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have cost $954 billion since 2001 (COSTOFWAR.COM - The Cost of War), which is several times greater than the entire net worth of Chervon. Considering Chervon barely foot any of the bill, having to pay several hundred billion (lets discount a bit for rent-seeking) changes the incentives in place hugely.
It costs that much to invade and occupy. A military-industrial consortium does not need to do that. They can simply seize and defend the specific valuable assets they want. For example a mine, oil-well, etc.

Of course there are no guarantees, but if you make people pay for war themselves rather than allowing them to force others to pay, surely this makes war less likely. Do you disagree with this basic logic?
If you remove the disincentives to murder, surely this makes murder more likely? Do you agree with this basic logic?[/QUOTE]

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Nuclear war has not erupted and the 50 years after nuclear weapons entered the scene have been much more peaceful compared to basically any other period in recorded history. There have been no major land wars. Anywhere. Vietnam/Iraq/Afghanistan/Korea/etc while bad in their own ways simply do not compare to WWI, WWII, Napoleonic wars etc etc.
50 years is pretty short in the scheme of things. The risk of nuclear war is real and it is horrific. The scale of the destruction that could be caused by modern nation states is so much greater than anything that could be done by rouge militias and security firms.

I don't think it is an attractive prospect. It is however what we see happen everywhere that the rule of law breaks down. And if I was in such a lawless area I think it is a career which I would definitely consider.
Yes. It is exactly what we see when the rule of law suddenly breaks down, as it has in Somalia and parts of Africa, or even in New Orleans for a brief period.

There is a huge difference between a rapid, chaotic decent into anarchy, and a deliberate and controlled transition into anarchy which people voluntarily choose. You still don't seem to be able to grasp this.

It's obvious that when a power structure collapses unexpectedly there will be violence and chaos. That's why I have clarified several time that this is not what I favor.

Where would they secede to? States own all the land. Are you talking about individuals buying land from the government and seceding or are you talking about charter cities?
All individuals are given allodial title over the land they own. If they choose to stop paying taxes, the government can exclude them from government services. I might make a thread on the details of this, or volition could explain how it could work more comprehensively.

Military grade small arms are quite different to the power of the modern war machine. They may prevent (or make costly) an occupation but would not prevent a punitive air strike or an armoured smash and grab.
Well ACists can fund a modern war machine (i.e. a private security firm) to protect them too.

I suppose you could say this still doesn't prevent a punitive air strike or whatever. Well neither does having the government provide the military.

I don't feel that I am being particularly disingenuous here. I think that voluntarily contracted security firms would become oppressors. A community contracts a firm for protection. The firm moves in. The community grows lax arming themselves or training with their arms. At some point the firm decides to exploit their position of power and rent-seek.
Sure, you can't guarantee that people will remain vigilant. You can't guarantee it in a democracy either.

Essentially you are saying that to protect themselves from men with guns that a family should invite a man with a gun into their house and simply trust/hope that he doesn't turn his gun on them.
Well that's exactly what we do now by trusting the police and military with guns.

At least under AC we can choose our police and military providers directly, and we can have guns ourselves to keep them accountable. Once again, its not perfect, but again, you fail to show how it is worse than the current system.

I think the triad/mafia example is relevant from the protection racket standpoint. The firm arrives and aggressively markets their protection services to coerce a contract. The community voluntarily contracts but the firm becomes aggressive in increasing prices.
Yeah so people switch to a firm with lower prices.

The barrier to entry in the industry is labour and logistics. Due to the training requirements labour is not variable. Logistic capabilities are expensive to develop and have poor scalability.
What training? Cops in the past in Australia and in most parts of the world today only do a few months of training. The whole policing degrees thing is just bullshit. It's quite quick and cheap to train competent security people, and there is already a large pool of trained ex police and security workers to hire from.

Logistic capabilities are not particularly great either. A local security firm just needs a building with an office, some communications equipment, weapons, vehicles and holding cells. Nothing prohibitive expensive, and most of the costs can be liquidated quite easily if the business fails, so in the economic sense the barriers of entry are actually quite small.

The barrier to entry in the market is existing firms violently resisting the new entrant. A turf war.

I see the prohibitive cost as retribution by the existing provider.
My usual respone: Yes its possible but unlikely, not only does the competitor have guns, the customers have guns, lots of people with guns would be angry at the security firm acting in this way = expensive problem for the security firm.

We're both speculating here, but even if I'm wrong its still no worse than the current situation. Try setting up a rival police force or army to compete with the government, they will indeed violently block your entry into the market.

So people who are too poor to afford guns deserve to be enslaved?
Nice use of selective quoting and a loaded question. As I said in the part you ignored;

jennyfromdabloc said:
They wouldn’t necessarily (have guns), but at least they would have the right to be armed, rather than being deliberately and systematically disarmed by the government. If the weak feel they would be better protected by the government, they can chose to remain under its jurisdiction. I would expect most people that would chose to move to an AC community would be from the developed world (particularly the USA), and they would tend to have guns.
It's entirely possible the AC would not do any good for people in Africa and that they wouldn't opt for it anyway.

It costs that much to invade and occupy. A military-industrial consortium does not need to do that. They can simply seize and defend the specific valuable assets they want. For example a mine, oil-well, etc.
If it was as simple as just targeting the assets you want the US military would have just done that. Obviously you have to secure ALOT more land than just the resources you want to take, otherwise insurgents will surround you and attack you. Oil wells and pipelines are particularly easy to attack and sabotage.

If you remove the disincentives to murder, surely this makes murder more likely? Do you agree with this basic logic?
Yeah nice one, answer my question with another question.

Well I'll be more frank than you and just answer yours. Yes, I do agree.

However, you have not shown how AC removes the disincentives to murder. If anything it creates more disincentives, since average people can be armed to fight off murders and they can also employ security firms to help protect them. The government also creates a huge incentive to murder by driving certain industries underground.

Most importantly I want to ask; do you think people should have a reasonable opportunity to secede from the government? (because that is all I am arguing here, not that AC will solve all the world's problems, for some people it might make their problems worse, but surely it is their choice to take that risk).

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
50 years is pretty short in the scheme of things. The risk of nuclear war is real and it is horrific. The scale of the destruction that could be caused by modern nation states is so much greater than anything that could be done by rouge militias and security firms.
Private forces can use nuclear weapons too?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
History fail jennyfdb. Hitler didn't want switzerland because it was

a) effectively useless to him (note another neutral country sweden effectively surrendered to him after he conquered norway coz they had iron ore, and shitloads of it.)

b) prohibitively costly to invade (try running tanks through mountainous snow. even with modern weaponry today that is nigh impossible. 70 years ago?!)

c)omg its switzerland such a giant military threat with their HUGE POPULATION AND 10 MILLIONG STRONG ARMY AND 6726341927436182783618273 GUNS AND TANK OMFG. yeah.

d) their money was useless to him.
O'contraire, funnelling stolen gold through switzerland and the vatican is what funded the german war effort.

vikraman

HSC
O'contraire, funnelling stolen gold through switzerland and the vatican is what funded the german war effort.
french and polish gold, the swiss never gave a cent. they were just being bankers.. as they always have been. and the vatican are scumbag nazis in disguise.

jennyfromdabloc

coked up sociopath
HSC
Private forces can use nuclear weapons too?
As I said, there are no guarantees. It's possible that they would, but nuclear weapons are extremely expensive (especially the capacity to deploy them long distances which most nuclear armed countries don't even have) and without forcing others to pay for it, it makes it much harder to afford.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)