Life of Pi (1 Viewer)

Trogie

HSC
I read this a while back and really enjoyed it. Very well written, nice use of symbolism, funny in parts, with some very vivid images (the 'carnivorous island' scene at the end still sticks in my mind). Also had some interesting things to say about spirituality and personal enlightenment.

chelloveck

i'm feeling fat and sassy
fenner hall. perving on mcdickpants across the roa
HSC
i love it too. but i only loved it up to the carnivorous island. actually no, until he ran into the cannibal. as you said, the symbolism and imagery is just amazing, and the behaviorual zoology and social interactions just intrigued me, especially because they were described so well. BUT, i hated the carnivorous island part. firstly, it really spooked me for some reason, as did the cannibal. but also, i hate science fiction in biology. if anyone's read neanderthal i hate it for the same reason. i don't think that the human mind's grasp of biology and ecology is anywhere near sufficient enough to speculate about unfound biology, or alternative paths of human evolution...especially without a shit load of specific research.

ishq

brown?
HSC
The most beautiful book in the world!!!
I'm using it for the HSC

X

xeuyrawp

I love that book. Magical realism.

I bought like 6 copies of it, and gave them as Christmas presents.

I love the list, "One boat, one tiger, one boy, one God, etc". So beautiful.

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
I've read the book too.

At first I thought it was going to be really monotonous. but it's a really well-written book and NOT monotonous.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Our English class read Life of Pi last year,I enjoyed iy so much I purchased my own copy.
Most of the class enjoyed it, cept some of the girls didnt enjoy the drinking of the turtle blood...

It's being turned into a movie too, with the director of the newest Harry Potter...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454876/

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i found it very enjoyable

i saw no deeper into other than just an entertaining read

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
iceflower86 said:
I read it and enjoyed it, but I never understood why it is meant to make you believe in God?
Yeah, we thought about that too after reading it. The fact the Pi was Christian, Muslim AND Hindu made things a bit complicated.
It wasnt like the book caused a huge revelation or anything

minalata

HSC
my teacher recommended this book for us to read it, but i thought it was to do with maths so havent gotten round to it reading it yet... but from all the comments sounds like an ok book

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
minalata said:
my teacher recommended this book for us to read it, but i thought it was to do with maths so havent gotten round to it reading it yet... but from all the comments sounds like an ok book
lol, there's not much maths in it at all, if any.

Bluebeard Sally

HSC
Personally, I thought it made a largish revelation. The fact that the men interviewing him at the end would rather believe the animal version rather than what really happened. It parallels wanting to believe the security that comes from believing in God, rather than the harsh reality.

"The story with the animals is the better story"
"And so it goes with God"

And this is why it is supposed to make you believe in God, or in fact, RATHER believe in God than in a harsher reality.

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
the first time I read this book, i got bored after a bit and put it down. later on, i gave it another crack and read it all in one weekend. it was good read, but I must admit i'm guilty of not really thinking about it much afterwards. but that cannibal island bit scared me like woah.

Josephine

HSC
We studied the book for extension english in year 11, and I loved it. It was entertaining, had lots of symbolism, and sparked lots of discussion. Even though I still don't really agree with Pi belonging to three religions simultaneously. Different things kind of spooked me out more as I progressed, but you still want to read more. So yeah, great book :)

TaperJeanGirl

HSC
Yeah, I love it too, even if it was a little unsettling! I'm using it as additional material for the 'imaginative journey' haha. I'm probably the only person who believes that the cannibal story is the real one, and I guess the book didn't live up to its statement in making me believe in God, because last time I checked I was still an atheist, but the book is really really good and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Although, I have to say I was disappointed with some of Martel's other work - none as good as Pi.

pisa1

HSC
i loved the concept of the book but the read for me was long and boring..
maybe i'll give it another try soon..

putmeinrewind

HSC
oh I loved that book. I have the audiobook backed up on my computer. I should be recieving his other book, Yann Martel, in the mail sometime this week. I'm excited!!

Bookie

Banned
HSC
Bump.

Just finsihed it this arvo. Read the whole back third today.

So I think you are meant to make a choice in which you believe is real. I mean, I still like the animal one, and the fact that he went through it so extensively makes it believeable. I mean, its such a wicked novel.

Was the island his imagination too? Because that occured after everyone had died anyway [taking the concept that he/his mind/conscence is Richard Parker]. The island seems beleiveable although it is a bit unnatural.

Anyway, crazy ending and I reckon its one of those books that you remember the story for ever and theres no need to read it again.

mitch_f1

HSC
Sorry for the massive bump, but i needed to add my bit in.

I LOVED this book, it is my new all time favourite book EVER. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.

I really liked the underlying religous message (I don't know if anyone else picked it up), it was just so well written, well developed, and just a bloody awesome book. I love it :D :D :D

Mitch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)