Likelihood of a conceded pass in Comp1917? (NOT HAPPY) (1 Viewer)

Hiyahodestructo

HSC
Just to note, i'm doing electrical engineering. I'm Dota55, but i forgot my password..

Well, here it is. I've worked pretty hard on this subject all semester. We have two tests, a written exam and a practical. You needed to get 12/30 in each one, and 50/100 overall to pass the course. While i'm confident i can get that 50/100 overall, i'm not sure about the practical exam.

They mark the practical exam by testing your output against a set of values. For each correct output, you get a mark. Problem is, i didn't really get any of the questions to work. There were only three questions, they sort of worked, i got the working and the concept there, but none of the input worked properly.

This means i'll probably fail the course. Is that true? Is there some way to apply for a conceded pass? So i don't have to do this ever again? I'll probably be transfering away from electrical engineering too, for the record. I'm *not* doing a computing-related degree So this course really isn't all that important.

But what i care about is passing this stupid, STUPID course. Hate it so much.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
from my expeirnece in computing (1811, hardly call it computing) they're pretty lenient on the marking.

they didn't really care about output but as long as you have the code and idea there, they will give you alotof marks for it.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
when i did comp1911 last year, we were told we needed a pass in the final exam to pass the course, but yours may be different.

PC is determined by your course mark and your WAM.

Course mark needs to be between 45 and 49.

There's a table somewhere saying for a course mark of X you need a WAM of Y to be given a PC, brb finding...

Hiyahodestructo

HSC
when i did comp1911 last year, we were told we needed a pass in the final exam to pass the course.
It's changed this sem for 1917

Need at least:

15/40 for assignments/labs
12/30 for written
12/30 for practical
50/100 overall

Don't think i can get that for practical...pdsfjpgjrpgjprgjorpgprogjprgjprgpro

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
when i did comp1911 last year, we were told we needed a pass in the final exam to pass the course, but yours may be different.

PC is determined by your course mark and your WAM.

Course mark needs to be between 45 and 49.

There's a table somewhere saying for a course mark of X you need a WAM of Y to be given a PC, brb finding...
its diff for diff schools i believe.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Authority for the award of this result rests with the Postgraduate Coursework Committee (PCC). The grade is determined with reference to the student's overall performance in the program to date, and not just performance in the course in question.
A pass conceded indicates a performance below that normally required for a pass. May be granted provided that the overall performance is considered to warrant such a concession, and allows progression to another course for which the former course is a prerequisite.
and the table:

Mark Range Qualifying Condition
48 or 49 CurrentTerm WAM at least 53
46 or 47 CurrentTerm WAM at least 55
46 to 49 Cumulative WAM prior to start of current semester is at least 55
46 to 49 Potential Graduand and no failures in current semester
..taken from https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/concession_algorithm.html

shinn

HSC
you might be able to get a PASS if scaling is involved, so your raw marks get aligned. Though i'm not 100% sure. Anyone know if they scale up COMP courses?

Hiyahodestructo

HSC
and the table:

..taken from https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/concession_algorithm.html
Yes, my wam is above that. Is a conceded pass automatic or do i have to apply for it?

Note: I don't trust/rely on scaling considering how unbelievably bright everyone is in the computing courses, in my experience . I'll trust it to scale me DOWN, as opposed to up.

LordPc

HSC
if you didnt pass the practical exam they might have a look at your broken code to see if you had some idea of what you needed to do. also check other assignments you have done, see that you have some programming skills, maybe talk to your tutor and get their opinion on whether or not you should pass

if they think you should pass, they might let you through or offer you a supp exam which just involves a re do of the practical question

B

bluecheese

omgee comp1917. i thought the written was hard, and then came the prac!

the trick is to just make the code pass the test, even if the code is fail...

the tutors are lazy i dont think they even look at the code half the time. they just run auto-tests, if it passes them all, theres your marks.

LordPc

HSC
i dont get ur sig lordpc
yea i thought it might be a little hard to get. it requires comedic timing. maybe ill change it.

omgee comp1917. i thought the written was hard, and then came the prac!

the trick is to just make the code pass the test, even if the code is fail...

the tutors are lazy i dont think they even look at the code half the time. they just run auto-tests, if it passes them all, theres your marks.
they run more thorough tests on your submitted code after the exam. its to stop people from reading the test file and writing a bunch of if - if else statements to pass the tests

chris_c28

Random Member
HSC
Anyone remembered what questions were asked? I didn't sit for this exam.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
if you failed,
they give you a second chance with a retest..

this has nothing to do with a PC though. If a professor thinks you did not preform in a crucial component of the course, she may fail you. This fail is a UF (unsatisfactory fail) and it overrides any other grade.

E.g. you could get 96 UF (and people have in MATH before for not attending tutorials)

onholidays

HSC
Does anyone know if you need to satisfy all the conditions of the Concession Algorithm to get a PC? or is one enough?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
u need to satisfy all conditions, that is, your course mark needs to be in a certain range and your wam needs to be at least a certain number depending on what your course mark is.

you cant have a course mark of 47, and then get a PC if your wam is like 51, wam would need to be 55 (iirc, check the algorithm).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)