Likelihood of a North Korean Attack (1 Viewer)

Jessica14

HSC
New York Times said:
[FONT=&quot]Seoul Imposes Sanctions on N. Korea [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]By CHOE SANG-HUN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Published: June 9, 2009 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
SEOUL, South KoreaSouth Korea imposed its first financial sanctions on North Korean companies, officials said Tuesday, taking a symbolic action that could anger the Communist regime while bolstering a joint front with the United States as the allies seek to punish the North for its recent nuclear test.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
North Korea continued its harsh rhetoric on Tuesday when the government-run newspaper, Minju Joson, warned that the regime can use its nuclear program not only for defense but also as “a merciless offensive means.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The escalating tensions began hurting investor sentiments. On Tuesday, a South Korean fur-coat maker became the first company to announce it was withdrawing from the Kaesong joint industrial complex in North Korea, a sign that deteriorating inter-Korean relations and tensions over the North’s recent nuclear test were jeopardizing the complex, once hailed as a model of future economic cooperation between the two Koreas. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The financial sanctions against three North Korean firms, which became effective on June 1, were disclosed on Tuesday, a day after North Korea sentenced two American journalists to 12 years of hard labor for illegal entry and unspecified “hostile acts.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The families of the journalists, Laura Ling and Yuna Lee, urged North Korea to grant them clemency.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“We remain hopeful that the governments of the United States and North Korea can come to an agreement that will result in the release,” the families said in a statement.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
American officials said that the harsh sentences were likely to be used as a negotiating ploy by the North as it tries to avoid new sanctions being worked out at the United Nations Security Council in response to the nuclear test two weeks ago. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton stressed that the reporters’ case and Washington’s efforts to punish North Korea for its nuclear test are “entirely separate matters.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Still, American officials appeared to be weighing whether to send a special envoy in a high-profile effort to seek the release of the two journalists. The two most likely candidates are former Vice President Al Gore, whose Current TV channel employs the two journalists, and Gov. Bill Richardson of New Mexico, who has visited North Korea several times and helped negotiate the release of two Americans in the 1990s. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Asked Monday if Washington will send an envoy, Mrs. Clinton said her government is “pursuing every possible approach” to win their release. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
On Tuesday, the Ministry of Strategy and Finance in Seoul said that it has banned trading with three North Korean firms — Korea Mining Development Trading Corporation, Tanchon Commercial Bank, and Korea Ryongbong General Corporation — and will freeze their assets. But officials said that these firms have no trading with South Korea or assets in the South. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
The Security Council had earlier targeted those three North Korean entities when it reaffirmed
financial restrictions against the North after its rocket launch on April 5
. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Until now, while voicing support for Security Council decisions, South Korea had avoided implementing such symbolic but politically sensitive sanctions for fear they would anger Pyongyang. That stance began shifting in May when South Korea announced it could search North Korean ships suspected of carrying weapons of mass destruction in its territorial waters as part of an American-led global arms embargo.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Ms. Ling, 32, and Ms. Lee, 36, were arrested March 17 on the China-North Korea border. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
“There is a serious doubt that these journalists had a fair trial because the legal proceedings have not been transparent,” said Kay Seok, a Seoul-based researcher for Human Rights Watch. “It’s not clear whether the North Korean government has honored the defendants’ right to choose their own lawyers, and whether they had the benefit of courtroom translators.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Analysts in Seoul doubted that the journalists would spend time at one of the North’s notorious labor camps, where North Korean defectors said malnutrition and beatings were rampant. Rather, they said the journalists could be held at a “sanitized” prison that Pyongyang allowed international human rights officials to visit in the mid-1990s.[/FONT]

What effects do you think sanctions by South Korea and the US will have on the defensive/offensive nuclear attack policy of North Korea?

And what do you think China's response will be?

(I have not yet formulated an opinion so I'm not gonna write one and yeah, I know that it's kind of the point of starting a thread).

And I don't know what's with the Italics. I can't make them go away.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
some dude said something about something loosely related to this one day the end,

but yeah north korea is just using their nukes as leverage with the us and shit

lol as if they will use them

and as if the us will attack n korea, there is no way that is worth it

and its not their neck of the woods

they will at most, pressure the un and china attack and that is only if there is an attack by n korea one day for some retarded reason

Jessica14

HSC
I'm seemingly more concerned with South Korea than the US. At the same time, North Korea's about the size of Tasmania.... or Hiroshima (maybe a little bigger, but you get my point), so I'm remaining undecided for now.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
I'm seemingly more concerned with South Korea than the US. At the same time, North Korea's about the size of Tasmania.... or Hiroshima (maybe a little bigger, but you get my point), so I'm remaining undecided for now.
what are you on about you complete sped

are you seriously suggesting that the us or s korea are contemplating a preemptive nuclear strike against north korea

because that would probably be the dumbest thing you could ever say

Jessica14

HSC
what are you on about you complete sped

are you seriously suggesting that the us or s korea are contemplating a preemptive nuclear strike against north korea

because that would probably be the dumbest thing you could ever say
Okay, crap, I'm guessing I didn't clarify myself well. Apologies. No, I'm definitely not saying that the US or South Korea will engage in a pre-emptive strike. I was merely saying that, I think, if North Korea was to launch an offensive attack after these sanctions, that it would be in the direction of South Korea and not the US. Not that I'm saying that that would happen, because I am still undecided on this.

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion.

Jessica14

HSC
Alright, alright, I'll give up the terrible sense of humour I have and get back to seriousness of this thread. And I'm being serious.

CNN International said:
The five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council have agreed on a resolution that would expand and tighten sanctions on North Korea, two senior Western diplomats at the United Nations said Wednesday.
This resolution does not authorise the use of force in order to get Russia and China on board.

In other news.... The French authorities seem to believe that some of the passengers on Air France flight 447 had links to Islamic terrorism.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Okay, crap, I'm guessing I didn't clarify myself well. Apologies. No, I'm definitely not saying that the US or South Korea will engage in a pre-emptive strike. I was merely saying that, I think, if North Korea was to launch an offensive attack after these sanctions, that it would be in the direction of South Korea and not the US. Not that I'm saying that that would happen, because I am still undecided on this.

Again, I'm sorry for the confusion.
Ah, by an offensive attack do you mean a full on land, sea and air assault or just missiles? Because the practical possibility of the North Korea being able to 'invade' the U.S. is almost non-existent.

Your hypotheses have lacked credibility ever since you said that Hiroshima and Tasmania are roughly the same size.

Whatever the chances are of attack, the DPRK wouldn't be able to sustain it because of their totally shit economy and starving people. Without the support of China (which it seems they at least don't publicly have at the moment, as China is supporting searches on North Korean shipping), then they would be well and truly fucked.

Anyway I hope that they don't because when i turn twenty-one and get my grandmother's money I'm going to go there.

Jessica14

HSC
Ah, by an offensive attack do you mean a full on land, sea and air assault or just missiles? Because the practical possibility of the North Korea being able to 'invade' the U.S. is almost non-existent.

Your hypotheses have lacked credibility ever since you said that Hiroshima and Tasmania are roughly the same size.

Whatever the chances are of attack, the DPRK wouldn't be able to sustain it because of their totally shit economy and starving people. Without the support of China (which it seems they at least don't publicly have at the moment, as China is supporting searches on North Korean shipping), then they would be well and truly fucked.

Anyway I hope that they don't because when i turn twenty-one and get my grandmother's money I'm going to go there.
Sorry about the grossly inaccurate assessment, although I compared North Korea to Tasmania or Hiroshima with the idea that it is tiny and the US could squash it like a bug. So obviously, I don't think that N Korea is a threat to the US. But it is possibly a threat to S Korea. They won't be able to sustain a workable economy if the sanctions continue and become harsher. China has agreed to the sanctions placed on N Korea in a recent meeting of the Security Council. With all of this in mind, I am less inclined to think that N Korea will risk an attack of any kind, but I'm still not going to formulate a definite opinion.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
What the fuck @ this thread?

NK isn't going to attack the US, no shit. It isn't going to attack SK either, 'cause that'll just enrage all the "allies". They can't do anything and all they're doing is making weapons as negotiating power.

That said, the US isn't going to attack NK 'cause it just isn't worth it (The US is just being a superpower bully by acting as the leader or some shit, instead of leaving the UN to do their job). SK also won't attack NK in fear of retaliation.

So in the end, nothing will happen. NK will pile up a shitload of nukes and end the world when we're old.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
What the fuck @ this thread?

NK isn't going to attack the US, no shit. It isn't going to attack SK either, 'cause that'll just enrage all the "allies". They can't do anything and all they're doing is making weapons as negotiating power.

That said, the US isn't going to attack NK 'cause it just isn't worth it (The US is just being a superpower bully by acting as the leader or some shit, instead of leaving the UN to do their job). SK also won't attack NK in fear of retaliation.

So in the end, nothing will happen. NK will pile up a shitload of nukes and end the world when we're old.

mayb they wouldnt hav 2 if the UN werent a bunch of pussy bitches

dickiie

Warm, wet and pink. Smells like fish too.
HSC
Why can't Kim Jong-il be assassinated? That little prick pisses me off with his weird looks.

The SK and NK should be left to their business, SK should stop being pussies and unite the Korean peninsula by force!

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
tbqh, im getting sick of this shit. Just have a fucking war because the Iraq-USA conflict is getting boring. I want to tell my grand kids that i was alive to see a nuke explode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)