Likelihood of textbook updates (1 Viewer)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'm doing MGMT1001 & ACCT1501 this upcoming sem and was wondering what the likelihood of there being a new textbook coming out for these two courses.

I've sourced relevant textbooks but I don't want to buy them if they are the wrong edition.

Maybe I'm just overly eager to start :p

jeann2014

HSC
in exact same position! my friend said the changes in the textbooks are minimal though

I'm doing MGMT1001 & ACCT1501 this upcoming sem and was wondering what the likelihood of there being a new textbook coming out for these two courses.

I've sourced relevant textbooks but I don't want to buy them if they are the wrong edition.

Maybe I'm just overly eager to start :p

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
There is a chance that MGMT1001 might change. It changes every 2-3 years. The 2nd edition was released in about 2012 so if the 3rd edition hasn't been released yet it should be either this year or next year.

ACCT1501 just changed last year so it shouldn't change anytime soon. This is the 5th edition I am talking about.

jeann2014

HSC
There is a chance that MGMT1001 might change. It changes every 2-3 years. The 2nd edition was released in about 2012 so if the 3rd edition hasn't been released yet it should be either this year or next year.

ACCT1501 just changed last year so it shouldn't change anytime soon. This is the 5th edition I am talking about.
Thanks for that. I already bought LAWS1052 Prue Vines book- I hope that doesn't change. I think I will buy accounting soon then, I want to get started learning the concepts.Are you quite confident 5th edition is good? THankyou

michaeljennings

HSC
you'll be fine with an older edition as there are minimal changes when they update a textbook, its basically a money making scheme. I use older edition textbooks and skip my lectures and i go fine

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Thanks guys! I've sourced the accounting book and bought it. 2nd hand ftw! I don't want to spend $100+ on a textbook to be honest. I might buy the management one. I don't know how much it could change...

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for that. I already bought LAWS1052 Prue Vines book- I hope that doesn't change. I think I will buy accounting soon then, I want to get started learning the concepts.Are you quite confident 5th edition is good? THankyou
Yeap. The 5th edition was used last semester and it just came out. So I am certain it's the one you will need. Publishers are not that bothered to update annually haha

As for LAWS1502, I don't think it will change this year. Maybe next year.

And what about ECON1203 and ECON1101?
ECON1203 you probably don't even need the textbook. Your homework doesn't come from the textbook (unless they decided to change this for Sem 1 2014). I basically wasted my money getting the textbook haha. The explanation in the textbook is a bit whacko too.

For ECON1101 I am not too sure. When I did it (2011) I used the 2nd edition (top half white bottom half blue). I heard there is now a 3rd edition (either fully green or orange). Not sure if a 4th edition is coming. I doubt it. Maybe wait till your first lecture to buy one? For now you can just go to uni library and have a read.

jeann2014

HSC
Yeap. The 5th edition was used last semester and it just came out. So I am certain it's the one you will need. Publishers are not that bothered to update annually haha

As for LAWS1502, I don't think it will change this year. Maybe next year.

ECON1203 you probably don't even need the textbook. Your homework doesn't come from the textbook (unless they decided to change this for Sem 1 2014). I basically wasted my money getting the textbook haha. The explanation in the textbook is a bit whacko too.

For ECON1101 I am not too sure. When I did it (2011) I used the 2nd edition (top half white bottom half blue). I heard there is now a 3rd edition (either fully green or orange). Not sure if a 4th edition is coming. I doubt it. Maybe wait till your first lecture to buy one? For now you can just go to uni library and have a read.

Thanks for that :) How many approx. in the UNSW main library and where do I find them?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
So... I scheduled to meet up with someone to buy both textbooks. Let's hope, for the sake of my sanity, that the textbooks don't get updated :)

jeann2014

HSC
The UNSW textlist site, when I search my subjects is blank for LAWS1052 and ACCT1501 however for ECON1101 and ECON1203 a book comes up (the stats one is brand new, published july 2013 D:) these would be the correct prescribed texts right? But all good for ECON1101 just the 3rd edition of principles of micro- the orange I think

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So... I scheduled to meet up with someone to buy both textbooks. Let's hope, for the sake of my sanity, that the textbooks don't get updated :)
To be fair, why are you buying textbooks now? Plenty of time for that in a month, just be patient. Better than possibly ending up with the wrong textbook and wasting money on it.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Download them online ...
All good I backed out, I'm going to wait for them to be listed on UNSW bookshop. I asked her to wait, unless of course she has a buyer, then oh well. HAHAH.

I can't download anything, I don't enough net for that. All I can afford to do is browse the net and go on this forum lol

enoilgam

HSC
To be fair, why are you buying textbooks now? Plenty of time for that in a month, just be patient. Better than possibly ending up with the wrong textbook and wasting money on it.
This pretty much. The biggest mistake I made during first year was buying my textbooks straight away - unlike HS, most of your textbooks never get used and they cost a fortune. I probably blew around $800 on textbooks I either never opened or barely used. The best idea is to wait until you have started your classes in order to gauge whether the book is needed. Ultimately, this saved me a stack of money.

Also, for some subjects, the prescribed textbook might not be very useful compared to others. For my Criminal Law class, our textbook was terrible, so I purchased another one which was like a third of the price and ten times better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)