line graph or column grapn (1 Viewer)

MattMMM

It had to be a line graph. Column graphs showed the the frequency of one various objects at one time. Line graphs are used to show changes over time.

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
I thought i would do a column graph but the way i would have done it wouldn't have fitted, so i did a different line for each gender. If i recall correctly, it was worth 5 marks in total, so even if the examiners prefer one type of graph over the other, you can still get marks for labelling the axes, using an even scale etc. In the end, you'd really only be losing 1 or 2 marks, not that much.

budj

HSC
Yeh i did line graph, used a key, and then in pencil, I superimposed line of best fits to show correlations

caramelheaven

serial coconut.
HSC
i did line... better b rite.. it was really pretty as well.. :p

motto in life: "U CANT GO WRONG WID A LINE GRAPH" :vcross:

... well.. not really but sounds good for now... ;)

RobDavey

Line Graph

The Line Graph is the most appropriate form to draw the graph in. This Information provided was continuous, for every consecutive year, there was a value. If The dates jumped around of we were counting the number of animals in a region, a column or bar graph would have been appropriate. I dont imagaine you'll get 0 marks for doing a Bar graph though.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
lukebennett said:
with the qustion about the other bit of information that should have been included in the stats, did you all say smoking and non smoking?
Luke - l said that in order to find out if the cause of lung cancer was smoking, they would need to find out how many of those people surveyed actually smoked.

Oh and for the graph - l was going to do a line graph, but l only had a lead pencil and didn't know at the time how to symbolise two different lines without coloured pens (l was told to never, ever use pens to draw graphs) so l did a column graph and coloured one column in fully to indicate females and l did stripes in the other for males. I also make a key.

Last edited:

abba86amy

adagio ~ the slow one...
HSC
Shuter said:
Line graph was definatly what they were expecting.

I did an entire column graph, even colored it in pretty, then went craaaaap, and had to get a new sheet and did a line graph.

Line graph was the more apporpiate form for viewing the trends over time.
ditto to that, i also did a line graph, cos i thought it was most appropaite, given the situation.

If u did do column graph, wouldnt it b more difficult trying to compare the trends between males n females? (that is, wouldn't u need to draw a heck of a lot of little columns? 0.0)

correct me if i'm wrong

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
abba - it did take me a while to draw the columns, but in the excel guide it has an example of a study like this and they use a column graph so l used the same thing they did.

Page 85 in Excel HSC biology, its used as a question (this is a bar graph, but it can also be used as a column)

Also on page 84 of excel there is a column graph thats used to see different diseases and their percentage rate of deaths between males and females.

Last edited:

abba86amy

adagio ~ the slow one...
HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
I did a line graph with two different lines.. I always do line graph... we hardly ever use column graph.

i did it all in lead pencil... the male was full line, while the female was dotty line... same axes for both, since there was enough space to go up to 60.
shite...i won't lose marks for drawing the graph in pen will I? =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)