LINGUISTICS - Tricky Tree Diagrams (1 Viewer)

UNSW !!
HSC
Hey Everyone,

I'm having some serious issues trying to figure out these sentences for tree diagrams.

1. The (Det) secretary (N) noticed (V) an (Det) error (N) on (P) the (Det) second (Adj/Det/Other?) page (N) of (P) the (Det) template (N).
  2. Students (N) of (P) Linguistics (N) study (V) their (Det) textbook (N) every (Det) day (N). >> Double NP's?
  3. The (det) police (N) asked (V) the (det) man (N) whether (C) he (Det) knew (V) that (C) his (Det) brother (N) had (Aux) been (Det?) caught (V?). >> can you have TWO CP's? And is [C Det V] even right?
  4. Will (C) you (det) go (V) to (P) the (Det) party (N) with (P) your (Det) friends (N) ? >> can't figure out the [C Det V] part again...no noun...
Any ideas of how to put any of these together into trees????

Every time I try, I see a problem. UGH !! :mad:

Please help :(

UNSW !!
HSC
Ok I've figured out (1) and (4), and most of (3) but...

(3) - how can the VP have a V NP and a CP?
- can you have 2 auxilaries (had been), or do you make 'been' the verb?

(2) - still stuck on 'their textbooks every day'....

Wo0lWorths

HSC
Hey im also doing this same assessment for linguistics and was wondering if you could give me a hand, ive also found trouble with exercises 4,5,6... i need to do well because im trying to make a transfer out of this faculty to go to COFA (u know what i mean becuase i see your also heading for a transfer) and choosing linguistics was indeed interesting but probably not a good idea in the long run.

I pretty much got the same as you down there...not sure about double NP's but i found mine looking exactly that way.

For 3 i found the end of mine; VP with 'had' as an aux and then another VP (not sure if this is possible even) with 'been' as an aux as well and then the V (caught)

I dont know if you will get this in time since it is due tomorrow but heres my email gpsomas7@gmail.com if u have any questions i can try an answer and if you could please help me figure out what you ended up finding out.

Last edited:

Wo0lWorths

HSC
Yeh i sent an email back with a picture of what i did. Just posting here incase you check this and not your email. Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)