Linux booting trouble! (1 Viewer)

benno22

HSC
N/A
hi, i have windows xp on one partition and debian linux on another partition on teh same harddrive. I just reinstalled windows and now i cannot boot into linux as the GRUB boot manager is not coming up anymore. Does anyone know how to reinstall GRUB or even to just be able to boot into linux?

benno22

HSC
N/A
where can i get a linux boot disk? i have the debian installation disks, can i use them?

sunny

meh.
HSC
There are usually utilities on the installation CD to create the boot disk.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
chances are windows has erased ur master boot record and just put the windows booter on it.. so you'll have 2 reinstall grub... you should be able to do that from your debian disk (i know u can with fedora core). Else.. as suggested.. use a boot disk. If there arent files on the CD .. have a poke arround the debian site.

benno22

HSC
N/A
so what exactly to i type at the boot screen to reinstall GRUB or just boot up linux? if i press enter or type "linux" it just wants to reinstall linux again

Adrian.

HSC
I'm not sure if you can do this with the net install disc but you can with the first CD of the full Debian set. Just put the CD in and boot up. The first screen should have some options and one should be something like 'boot options' press that (F3 maybe?) and look for something like 'rescue' type that at the prompt and you should get a shell.

I can't help you with reinstalling Grub because I used LILO.

Also maybe you should use Google. This is one of the most common problems newbies have with Linux so it is very well documented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)